USDA: Number of Americans Going Hungry Increases

By HENRY C. JACKSON, Associated Press via Google News:

More than one in seven American households struggled to put enough food on the table in 2008, the highest rate since the Agriculture Department began tracking food security levels in 1995.

That’s about 49 million people, or 14.6 percent of U.S. households. The numbers are a significant increase from 2007, when 11.1 percent of U.S. households suffered from what USDA classifies as “food insecurity” — not having enough food for an active, healthy lifestyle.

Researchers blamed the increase in hunger on a lack of money and other resources.

Read more: Associated Press via Google News

11 Responses to USDA: Number of Americans Going Hungry Increases

1. emperorreagan November 17, 2009 at 2:41 am #

How many cruise missiles at $600K a pop would the American government have to skip buying to fund programs to eliminate hunger in the US?

I mean, they wouldn't be able to bomb baby formula plants as easily, but is that a big price to ask to address hunger?

• Sean November 17, 2009 at 3:36 am #

why is it the government's role to feed people?
      I'd like to see much less war spending, but I'd rather they let people keep more of their money,
      not using it to condition people to weakness and dependence.

• emperorreagan November 17, 2009 at 1:31 pm #

My opinion is that the role of government is to provide security and stability. I don't think that a nation will be stable in the long term with significant inequality.

I also think that in a system where the government so heavily manipulates the food production system that McDonald's can sell a hamburger at a profit for well below its true cost that there should be a little room to provide for people who are struggling.

• Sean November 17, 2009 at 2:03 pm #

most people already live their lives too much like livestock,
          we don't need to make it any worse

2. mutterhals November 17, 2009 at 11:03 am #

How about we garnish the food stores of those consuming more than 5,000 calories a day? I'm not even kidding, it's criminal to think there are people hundreds of pounds overweight while others literally starve to death.

• Sean November 17, 2009 at 1:59 pm #

it would be criminal to take from the productive and give to parasites.
      people who can't stand on their own aren't owed an existence,
      In my opinion the government should do only what is specifically mandated by it's founding charter
      and let people take responsibility for their own lives.

• mutterhals November 18, 2009 at 11:50 am #

How are the morbidly obese productive? All they do is consume, and often they don't even have jobs because they are so incapacitated by their massive weight.

• Monkey's Uncle November 17, 2009 at 8:54 pm #

How about you sell your computer and give the money to a family that is short on food?

• mutterhals November 18, 2009 at 11:50 am #

I don't think my boss would appreciate that.

3. haljett November 17, 2009 at 4:26 pm #

This is growing problem here for Florida. I'm volunteering some time to help in a food bank distribution for holiday meals and the organization I'm working with expects to help close to 30,000 families this year. These are families on the edge and those who have fallen over the edge. The numbers are up from last year and the need is great.

I can only imagine that around the nation it's just as bad. That's why I think there's a huge disconnect between what our government is reporting economic-wise and what is really happening on the street.

If you can help with food or time this year please do. I'm sure there are groups in your area.

4. mutterhals November 18, 2009 at 3:50 pm #

I don’t think my boss would appreciate that.