Chronic Art: Making Amazing Mosaics From Roach Papers

SnoopRoachArtSteve Elliott writes on Toke of the Town:

Cliff Maynard of Pittsburgh has blazed a unique trail on the stoner art scene. The 37-year-old creates amazing mosaics using the humble medium of used roach papers from smoked joints.

Amazingly, this is just something Cliff does in his spare time. He’s one of Pittsburgh’s finest tattoo artists at his day job. But it’s his roach paper Chronic Art that has captured the imagination of folks nationwide.

As a student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, Cliff had the opportunity to take inspiration from the great mosaics of the past. “I was studying mosaics in school,” Maynard remembers. “I just remember sort of making this connection in my head between the tiles and roach papers.”

His roach paper portraits include iconic rock star stoners like Jimi Hendrix, Jerry Garcia, and John Lennon, and hemped hop rap stars like Snoop Dogg and Method Man.

Read More: Toke of the Town

16 Comments on "Chronic Art: Making Amazing Mosaics From Roach Papers"

1. kHaOsNmAyHeM | Dec 8, 2009 at 1:10 pm |

I like the effort he put in…who said stoners are lazy and unproductive…:D

2. Well done, but this “canvas” must be pretty skunky.

• Chornic Art | Dec 13, 2009 at 4:05 pm |

They're not. Each piece of paper is individually glued down. Everything ends up being sealed because of the glue.

3. imagine smoking one of these.

4. that might be the sickest thing I've ever seen. I'd pay good money for it.

5. Something Snoop could be proud of

6. Rattle09 | Dec 8, 2009 at 8:29 pm |

Takes a LOT of smokin' to get that many roach papers.

7. OMG. I love it! This is soo smart and creative.

8. philedrifter | Dec 8, 2009 at 11:43 pm |

the 'war on (some) drugs' is nothing more than an attempt by racist uncle sam to replace outlawed slave labor with prison labor. Read tinyurl.com/1mn

alcohol is by far the most dangerous drug known to man, because no other drug turns it's user into a stumbling, belligerent moron.

• Never Knows Best | Dec 11, 2009 at 1:15 am |

that is demonstably false, there are several drugs that would turn one into a stumbling, belligerent moron at the proper doses. I'm not sure why you feel it necessary to inform the Disinfo crowd of the war on drugs' shortcomings.

• I think initially the war on drugs was about racism (could be wrong) although now we are acting on the insane effects of the propaganda that we needed to have the moral stamina to fight this battle. The lie won’t win and the sooner we sit back and reexamine our madness the better. Any place there is no longer a war on drugs is a better place in my opinion. He who lives by the sword …….

9. I can just imagine the arty aroma…..aaaaaahhhhhh. 😉

10. OK, check another item off the dream list. Getting on Disinfo!

11. Doggerel. Degenerate garbage.

12. Chornic Art | Dec 13, 2009 at 8:05 pm |

They’re not. Each piece of paper is individually glued down. Everything ends up being sealed because of the glue.

13. I think initially the war on drugs was about racism (could be wrong) although now we are acting on the insane effects of the propaganda that we needed to have the moral stamina to fight this battle. The lie won’t win and the sooner we sit back and reexamine our madness the better. Any place there is no longer a war on drugs is a better place in my opinion. He who lives by the sword …….