Is Getting Naked Good For Your Brain?

This article argues the health benefits of nudity, noting that clothes deprive our brain neurons of vital stimulation, since they strangle our range of motion and cause most of our epidermis to atrophy. “Going shoeless is now recognized as an anti-Alzheimer’s, brain-boosting activity because the sole sensation entices your brain into growing extra, efficient neuron connections, while also increasing brain flexibility.”

“Plus, clothes are a breeding ground for filthy fungi and bad bacterium, causing yeast infections, urinary tract infections, and rotting toenails.”

It also notes the historical precedents for nudity — including the 70,000 Germans who attended naked co-ed schools and naked church services in North Africa, Bohemia, the Netherlands, and England. Even famous people were nudists, including Alexander Graham Bell, Leonard Nimoy, and science fiction author Robert Heinlein.

But in addition to all this, clothes are just a huge money/time-suck. “Americans spend at least $900 million annually on bathing suits alone.”

“Our carbon footprint would shrink like a wool sweater if fabric was no longer manufactured!”

32 Comments on "Is Getting Naked Good For Your Brain?"

1. I'm not arguing with the article about clothing, but if we didn't wear clothes in the winter, our carbon footprint would grow – the room would have to be heated much warmer.
    Still, I could do with more nudity, and the people you don't want to see nude, well, don't look there ;P

2. I'm not arguing with the article about clothing, but if we didn't wear clothes in the winter, our carbon footprint would grow – the room would have to be heated much warmer.

3. Please refer here: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Aboriginal

Long term effects of nudity can result in genetic harm and chronic drug abuse.

4. GoodDoktorBad | Jan 25, 2010 at 3:15 pm |

I'm naked now and I feel fine…

5. susieq501 | Jan 26, 2010 at 1:19 am |

I like being naked. This is an interesting article.

the major flaw: winter….ya, cold happens.

6. our carbon footprint would not shrink because we would use so much more energy on heating if we had no clothes!!

7. Too cold to be naked all the time. Also, I really dont' want to see certain people naked… =

8. Screw the carbon foot print.

I don't want to see some people naked. Like Rosie O'Donnell. That's just gross.

9. Try living in the upper midwest, dipshit.

• it's nice 'n warm in the summer. wear clothes when it gets too cold not to, otherwise let it all hang out. one of the most liberating experiences i've had was taking a nap bare assed in a cross breeze from my open windows.

10. Our carbon footprint would shrink so quickly because we'd all die of cold during wintertime.

11. twoshirts | Jan 26, 2010 at 9:01 pm |

this is pretty dumb. the reason that going without shoes has an effect on neural function is that shoes limit the range and intensity of sensation through your feet, which are second only to hands in terms of concentration of nerve endings. the same is not true of clothes, however – clothes constantly move and shift, providing an added degree of tactile sensation every time you move, so if anything they should improve matters. however the effect is obviously negligible, otherwise delivery guys, zookeepers, anyone who wears shorts and shortsleeves to work should be appreciably smarter than the rest of us…

• threeshirts | Jan 27, 2010 at 1:45 am |

Maybe the fact that clothes are constantly shifting distract us from what we are trying to focus on, even if just a little bit. Nudity will relieve that distraction.

• GoodDoktorBad | Feb 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm |

Actually the constant tactile input actually lowers your over all sensitivity, or rather you just get used to stuff touching your skin all the time, unless of course youre wearing wool underpants….

12. I walk around in a sports bra and running shorts regularly because I'm an athlete and sometimes just because less clothes just feels better. ^-^

13. Yeah, when we get our fur back I'll start going naked. Rocky Mountains are COLD, yo. twoshirts also made an excellent point.

14. Erockncali | Jan 27, 2010 at 1:05 am |

Here Here for Nudism. While the attempt at a scientific rationale is a little weak I have been a proponent of Nudity for several decades. It allows us to better be one with nature. Living in California the necessity for warmth and clothing really only lasts a couple of months. I do have to agree that the state of Nudity is stimulating on so many levels that one has to lend some credence to the overall positive effect on the brain.

15. Maybe this guy's just an idiot.
    I think that's probably more likely.
    That was a terrible article haha he's go no idea what he's talking about, plus he just added a few quotes as his only source of information. He should probably be also thanking wiki. Sigh. I hope he/she wasn't paid for that bs.

16. supraneurotoxin | Jan 27, 2010 at 8:54 pm |

what about those of us who don't live in 84 degree weather all the time? retards….

17. Weird 🙂

18. mikeoxmall | Jan 28, 2010 at 6:58 pm |

phuck, i dont want to see other dudes tiny willies in the winter

19. X_xSun_Shinex_X | Jan 29, 2010 at 7:38 am |

Hell no, I do not care what it says, I'm not walking around anywhere naked unless its my own home.

20. I for one agree with this, lets all get naked!
    well maybe not yet, its a bit cold at the moment…..
    But I agree I always feel better when I wear less clothes….

21. fortunitos | Apr 8, 2010 at 4:54 am |

watch sinful comics: http://bit.ly/bqaTMo

22. justagirl | Apr 13, 2010 at 2:36 pm |

well, it ain’t good for my self-esteem. that’s for sure.

23. justagirl | Apr 13, 2010 at 9:36 am |

well, it ain't good for my self-esteem. that's for sure.

24. Anarchy Wolf | Jul 27, 2011 at 7:39 pm |

Well then you put clothes on… during the winter!