No Joke: South Carolina Now Requires ‘Subversives’ to Register

Yes, the South is as messed up as you though it was. This new law from the birthplace of secession is utterly ridiculous, and it will be used as an excuse to arrest and imprison activists of all stripes.  Also, I want to drive over to Columbia and pay five dollars to have the South Carolina Republican Party registered.

From The Raw Story:

Five-dollar registration fee for persons planning to overthrow U.S. government.

Terrorists who want to overthrow the United States government must now register with South Carolina’s Secretary of State and declare their intentions — or face a $25,000 fine and up to 10 years in prison.

The state’s “Subversive Activities Registration Act,” passed last year and now officially on the books, states that “every member of a subversive organization, or an organization subject to foreign control, every foreign agent and every person who advocates, teaches, advises or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States … shall register with the Secretary of State.”

There’s even a $5 filing fee.

By “subversive organization,” the law means “every corporation, society, association, camp, group, bund, political party, assembly, body or organization, composed of two or more persons, which directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, conducting, seizing or overthrowing the government of the United States [or] of this State.”

[Read more at The Raw Story]

30 Comments on "No Joke: South Carolina Now Requires ‘Subversives’ to Register"

1. iphlogiston | Feb 11, 2010 at 1:35 pm |

Why are politicians wasting time and money on this bullshit? Do we really hire them to sit around dreaming up legislation like this? I'm glad I live in Washington where we don't have nonsense and unenforced laws like this (read: illegal to be a Communist or drive without a hands-free device if you use a phone while driving.)

2. I seriously doubt anyone will be targeted by this, seems more like the typical useless symbolic anti-terror gesture, rather than a backdoor to cracking domestic activists…I will wager that in 5 years time the most we may see out of this would be related to either Islamic or eco-terror groups, if that…

3. caphillprof | Feb 11, 2010 at 1:49 pm |

Apparently, it's not just the governor who's out hiking the Appalachian Trail.

This South Carolina nonsense must be genetic, probably can be traced all the way back to John C. Calhoun, who, come to think of it, would be required to register under this law!

4. It is almost time for another revolution…

5. We need a mandatory register for lawmakers with too much time on their hands. We could use them to pick up litter by the roadside or something useful like that.

6. This is hilarious.

Do they not realize that the phrase, “every… political party… that directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling… the government of the United States,” means that the Republican Party (indeed ALL political parties, as they've explicitly stated as such) is now designated by them as a “subversive organization”?

I mean, I would tend to agree (LOL!), but I don't think that's what the morons who wrote this thing were aiming at.

This is so not even remotely constitutional, its ridiculous.

7. Tuna Ghost | Feb 11, 2010 at 7:43 pm |

If they give out some sort of Identification Card, I think I'd sign up. A “Registered Subversive” card would be sort of neat. Also I imagine “Registered Subversive” would look funny on a resume.

8. nick__nick | Feb 11, 2010 at 10:09 pm |

Oh cool McCarthyism

9. Look out Walmart. This law is for you.

10. I'm thinking of registering with them as a member of the 1st recon division of the martian stormtroopers to see if i get a card or some kind of documentation to frame

11. In practice, this will likely be just an extra fine they can stick onto civil rights or anti-war protestors who get arrested. On top of the existing penalties for Disturbing the Peace, you now have a $25,000 fee for being an unlicensed radical.

12. “directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling… the government of the United States [or] of this State”

According to the wording of the article this means that every lobbyist or political party (like republicans and democrats) trying to CONTROL the US govt should have to register as a subversive. This is asinine.

• chaosblessed | Feb 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm |

Seriously, can we all go citizen arrest the government of South Carolina by those laws? It's only be the South Carolinian Government, so we wouldn't have to pay 5$ right?

13. Double Jeopardy?

“The true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. Strive every day so that this love of living humanity will be transformed into acts that serve as examples”

-Che Guevara

14. They'll have to register every history teacher in the state… at least the ones who teach about the Declaration of Independence, especially the clause that encourages the citizens to overthrow a government that serves itself rather than the people.

15. By “subversive organization,” the law means “every […] association, […], which directly or indirectly advocates, advises, teaches or practices the duty, necessity or propriety of controlling, […] the government of the United States [or] of this State.” – that's what people do when they vote, isn't it?

16. Oh yes.. Register and give them your name and address.. Wonderful way to come up missing in the middle of the night.

Would anyone actually be ignorant enough to comply with this law?

• tonyviner | Feb 14, 2010 at 4:52 am |

I just was, would you be interested in purchasing some of our scrumptious apple fritters?

17. tonyviner | Feb 14, 2010 at 4:48 am |

This is actually incredible news. I have been saying for years that me and like-minded people should be able to have a place where we could meet up and discuss our intentions with the full consent of the government. This would have to be the best way for me to finally organize my al-Qaeda bake sale, I have had this thing in the works since 1999 and wouldn't you know it, here comes the other al-Qaeda from out of nowhere to ruin our good name. We had nothing to do with what happened on 9-11 but thanks to them everyone thinks that we did, you can tell by the way everyone looks at us when we get on an airplane or subway car. Thank the Lord Jesus Christ that we can finally assemble in South Carolina to achieve our dream of selling lemon tarts and cheese danish dessert pizzas to our families and co-workers, and thank the Lord Jesus Christ that it only costs five bucks, anything over that amount would just be plain ridiculous.

18. von Rancans | Feb 14, 2010 at 11:58 pm |

Can anyone lend me five bucks? Plus carfare to South Carolina? I want to comply.

19. I think I finally realized why absurdist comedies like naked gun have gone away,
    they can't top real life anymore

20. They should register themselves because this is unconstitutional; if they have ever heard of that document.

21. Ugh…it all kind of sucks. I live here. i'm not an idiot…at least I don't think I am. lived 26 years in Missouri where there was a law on the books that I couldn't leave my Mule tied up on Main Street. Then I lived 13 years in California where I saw the Terminator take over the highest position in the state only because he's a smart guy and knows how to win a competition. I'll ask around and find out the logic if any and post it back. Certainly there are some backward things about South Carolina. But it's a beautiful state and there are some really great people here.

22. James_Smith | Feb 19, 2010 at 8:38 am |

Yes, South Carolina is as stupid as this sounds. But it won't stop there. Other states and even the federal government as just as stupid. When they see a really dumb idea, they fall all over themselves copying it.

Freedom is history in the USA. It ended even before Bush, he just helped it along and Obama is really doing nothing to change it. Good-bye America, it was nice to know ye. The neo-cons and the religious reich have ended any semblance of what it used to be.

23. The Union wanted to keep the Confederate States as part of our great nation exactly why? It looks like all the insane people have migrated south. Maybe their crazy hot climate has finally completely addled their brains! What a national embarrassment these people are!

24. David yeagley needs to move to S. C. I will pay the $5.00 fee for him, in fact I will pay for his moving and his first months rent!

His type fits this discription of the KKK and a Subversive lifestyle who Hates all who are NOT White and Hates the Government at this time because Obama happens to be Black. Obama is as White as Yeagley which is 1/2…..and of all things wouldn’t you know it, he is 1/2 German!

25. David yeagley needs to move to S. C. I will pay the $5.00 fee for him, in fact I will pay for his moving and his first months rent!

His type fits this discription of the KKK and a Subversive lifestyle who Hates all who are NOT White and Hates the Government at this time because Obama happens to be Black. Obama is as White as Yeagley which is 1/2…..and of all things wouldn't you know it, he is 1/2 German!