National Geographic Puts LSD Under The Microscope

That's enough acid to send an army insane!

(Via Sitting Now), National Geographic’s Explorer series examines the myths and effects of LSD:

LSD’s inventor Albert Hofmann called it “medicine for the soul.” The Beatles wrote songs about it. Secret military mind control experiments exploited its hallucinogenic powers.

Outlawed in 1966, LSD became a street drug and developed a reputation as the dangerous toy of the counterculture, capable of inspiring either moments of genius, or a descent into madness.

Now science is taking a fresh look at LSD, including the first human trials in over 35 years. Using enhanced brain imaging, non-hallucinogenic versions of the drug and information from an underground network of test subjects who suffer from an agonizing condition for which there is no cure, researchers are finding that this “trippy” drug could become the pharmaceutical of the future.

Can it enhance our brain power, expand our creativity and cure disease? To find out, Explorer puts LSD under the microscope.

, , , ,

11 Responses to National Geographic Puts LSD Under The Microscope

1. Brie March 22, 2010 at 11:01 am #

hey there, I thought a little differently about that this until after reading this. Thanks for this article, changed my views and opinions greatly on the subject. Keep up the awesome work!

——

2. Brie March 22, 2010 at 11:04 am #

hey there, I thought a little differently about LSD until after reading this. Thanks for this article, changed my views and opinions greatly on the subject. Keep up the awesome work!

——

3. leczep March 22, 2010 at 8:00 pm #

LSD changed my life, my world view, and my future. It cleared my mind and gave me the opportunity to appreciate things I was beginning to overlook. I hope it can evolve into a drug that helps people suffering from depression and other various problems see the world in a much more beautiful light, and live a happy and fulfilling life.

• bigwindhuricon March 22, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

It was forty years of therapy, condensed into five hours

4. Mythos March 22, 2010 at 11:59 pm #

“Using enhanced brain imaging, non-hallucinogenic versions of the drug…”

When images come to light, there is much to learn… I wonder if scientists today view LSD for any purpose other than chemical composition and economic potential? The core of the whole thought process includes visual perception.

5. MarkmBha March 24, 2010 at 8:59 am #

LSD was an enlightining experience to say the least!

6. Aron Ranen March 29, 2010 at 8:34 pm #

here is link to my film POWER AND CONTROL: LSD IN THE SIXTIES

I was able to track down an original participant in Leary's Miracle of good Friday..who ironically is currently the Dean of the Divinity School where Leary found his subjects

here is link

Harvard stuff begins at 7:24

I posted the entire film

7. Anonymous August 26, 2010 at 2:42 pm #

If this drug becomes the pharmaceutical of the futures, then a big step has been made.Although I wonder if this won’t make people addicted to it.Because after all it is a drug and it’s effects are great but highly addictive.We can all find happiness and fulfilling in many other things that are around us and we don’t need to take drugs for that.

Best Drug Rehab

8. DrugLord August 26, 2010 at 9:42 am #

If this drug becomes the pharmaceutical of the futures, then a big step has been made.Although I wonder if this won't make people addicted to it.Because after all it is a drug and it's effects are great but highly addictive.We can all find happiness and fulfilling in many other things that are around us and we don't need to take drugs for that.

Best Drug Rehab

9. Chrs_ngrsll September 10, 2010 at 8:40 am #

well its the opposite of the coca plant in the 18 and early 1900s but ive never tried it its on my list but im worried bout gettin stuff that aint pure and enough bout that lsd should b legal like mushrooms and marijuana just because they make u wanna do other stuff not more of the drug

10. Chrs_ngrsll September 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm #