Republicans Playing on People’s Fears (Officially)?

Ben Smith writes on the Politico:

The Republican National Committee plans to raise money this election cycle through an aggressive campaign capitalizing on “fear” of President Barack Obama and a promise to “save the country from trending toward socialism.”

The strategy was detailed in a confidential party fundraising presentation, obtained by POLITICO, which also outlines how “ego-driven” wealthy donors can be tapped with offers of access and “tchochkes.”

Secret RNC Fundraising Presentation

The presentation was delivered by RNC Finance Director Rob Bickhart to top donors and fundraisers at a party retreat in Boca Grande, Florida on February 18, a source at the gathering said.

In neat PowerPoint pages, it lifts the curtain on the often-cynical terms of political marketing, displaying an air of disdain for the party’s donors that is usually confined to the barroom conversations of political operatives.

The presentation explains the Republican fundraising in simple terms.

Read More: Politico

, , , , , ,

9 Responses to Republicans Playing on People’s Fears (Officially)?

1. 5by5 March 5, 2010 at 6:36 am #

Yes. Officially.

Nativist, exclusionary movements require an enemy to fear-monger around. If they can't find an external enemy to rile up the nutbase with, they'll invent one.

Indeed the fundies in the midwest and the fundies in the mideast feed on each other. Like mirror images, they require the other to be scared of. These are the people who long for apocalypse.

This is why the fall of Soviet Union was a huge tragedy for these people — not a victory. It meant that they lost a central boogieman to organize around. When the Wall came down – or more accurately, when I personally helped take down the Wall in Berlin by taking a chisel & hammer to the fracking thing – one of the first things I said, was that we'd soon be having a kerfuffle of some sort in the Middle East, because it was one of the few places left where internationally violent groups still existed.

And these people NEED an enemy.

One reason why both the “islamofascists” and the “christofascists” are so panicky is because they're simply running out of enemies. They can't fear monger over black people (at least overtly), they can't fear monger over Jews (at least overtly), they can't fear monger over Catholics because they need them to fear monger against women's rights, they can't fear monger over the Sovies because they don't exist anymore, they can't fear monger over the Chinese because they're our bankers, they can't fear monger over the Cubans because Cuba hasn't done shit for 50 years. They can't fear monger about Hindus because they don't know the first thing about them. They've recently tried fear mongering about Buddhism, but those pesky Buddhists have a bad habit of not playing ball and fighting back, but rather just smile at the foolish monkeys and walk away. They're just no fun. That basically leaves homos, liberals, “evolutionists”, and muslims.

So all this doesn't leave them with much but their own shadows to be scared of. This is also why they're terrified of the notion of a united earth. They know in their heart of hearts that in a civilized world, there simply is no place for their extremism, and when they do run out of enemies, they simply won't know what to do with themselves except curl up and die.

The fact is, when there is no war, there is no place for warriors.

And regrettably, since so much of our economy is wrapped up with the business of what is laughably referred to as “defense”, there are millions of dollars thrown at feeding their fears simply because it's profitable for some.

The problem is, it's bad for the progress of the SPECIES.

• UNSANE March 5, 2010 at 10:17 am #

wow, great insight, i like the way you put that, its totally true. now, the fear mongering begins on home turf, “be scared of the tea parties and people that dont like the government”. that is the new enemy to the people. (well, the ones who buy into it)

• Hadrian999 March 5, 2010 at 12:02 pm #

well one can hope some day their base will finally realize they are being lied to about how the rest of the world really is, but I doubt they want to, a lot of people get a warm feeling being on the side of the macho tough guys.

• Manny Furious March 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm #

While I agree with 99.9 percent of this post, you obviously know jack shit about Catholicism. Though I'm not Christian by any stretch of the imagination, my wife is Catholic, and I find that most of the people she knows through her church are pretty decent people and fairly open-minded. I find them, in general, to be much more tolerable than any other Christian sect with the exception of Universalists.

I see all kinds of Catholic hate on this site (religious hate, as a whole, actually), and most people don't really know anything about the religion, they're just relying on ignorant superstitions (ironic, ain't it). Yes, the Church itself, the Vatican, theofficial Religion, is corrupt and dogmatic and full of shit. At local levels, however, I find the Catholic church has done some positive things in the communities. Certainly there are exceptions (I went to an RCIA class with my wife recently and I about blew a gasket when a couple there steadfastly refused to accept that when Christ said being rich was a bad thing, he meant it literally, not symbolically. I said, “where is the evidence in the text [bible] that says Jesus didn't mean it literally?” and they just argued that that's what they “felt”. [NB, not that anybody probably cares, but they made my argument for me, since they chose riches over the word of their lord. Hence: being rich sucks for you spiritually), but just because something is ritualistic and non-rational–and just because the Vatican has done and continues to do evil things–doesn't mean you should hold it's adherents in contempt.

• ThirdSection March 5, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Great comment, you hit the nail on the head! My only regret is that I'm only allowed to hit the “Like” button once. Anyway, I'm going to use it to reply-all to those insane forwards I get in my inbox from the insane right-wing branch of my family, I hope you don't mind.

• Hadrian999 March 6, 2010 at 9:51 am #

when there is no war it will be because there are no people,
      world peace is not possible unless we somehow manage to find some source of infinite resources,
      even then we will find something to fight over,
      as long somebody has more of something than someone else people will be happy to kill over it.

2. mutterhals March 5, 2010 at 8:25 am #

Holy shit republicans, hire a graphic designer!

• ThirdSection March 5, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

You gotta admit though, the craptastic amateurishness of it all gives it its charm.

3. Hadrian999 March 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm #