Much hubbub occurred over the weekend about Arizona SB1070. Curious to know your thoughts, there was a time where Arizona was the center of libertarianism in this country, and such a law there would have been unthinkable:

17 Comments on "Raising Arizona: Did A ‘Show Us Your Papers’ Act Become Law in the United States?"

1. libertarians can be crack pot racists too. This law is ridiculous though.

2. terrordrone | Apr 26, 2010 at 11:00 pm |

as a person living in arizona i would like to point out that not all of us are fearful right wing ignorant gun toting nutters

• we know…its just that the sane ones are quiet, polite, likable and decent…and therefore never achieve power or influence because they're crazed fanatics or total egomaniacs willing to pander to extremes to keep on the govt nipple.

the rest of us only wish that the nice arizonans were the ones in charge

• lonetrader | Jul 26, 2010 at 10:21 am |

What about the left wing gun toting nutters. Why do you think they can't pass the assault weapon ban again?? Too many left wingers want their guns. You are a moron.

3. Tom Tancredo has a problem with this law, which is saying a hell of a lot.

Many people have said this law wouldn't have been passed if laws on the books were enforced. Honestly, I can't say on a state by state basis if this is true. Two things I do know:

1. No one in this world chooses where one is born.

2. The ideal of “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness (or property)” is what brings everyone, past or present, to the United States.

I think our elected officials, i.e. our “government”, whether it be on a local, state or national level, can make sensible laws. If we did hundreds of years ago, we can do so today.

4. I hope SB1070 is copied in every state. What part of “illegal” is it that people don't get? Is it racist!? OMG, the desperate “racist” card. So if anybody of color commits a crime – any legal ramification is “racist”? What a bunch BS. If you are NOT American, you better “have peppers”….so be it. America first. Bravo Arizona.

• dumbsaint | Apr 27, 2010 at 7:25 am |

What makes it racist is the racial profiling aspect.

What's to bet if I was to visit Arizona as a whitey Australian I'd not be asked for my papers once.

• E.B. Wolf | Apr 27, 2010 at 10:49 am |

You might do well to remember what happened to the brown-shirts the moment they were no longer needed before cheering on legislation that expands governmental powers to stop and interrogate anyone, for any reason.
      If this law stands, it WILL be expanded far beyond what it's proponents expect.

• Wow…I don't think you grasp that this applies to citizens as well as non-citizens. They sold as it as fighting illegals, but now citizens are subject to search and potential arrest at the whim of police. Not exactly a victory for freedom and the American way here.

The amusing part is watching the 'pro-America' 'pro-freedom' 'crowd sell their principles down the pipe as long as they get to hose some brown people. That's what makes this racist. The part they forget is that they just established legal precedent for cops to stop anyone, anytime, and demand ID…not based on any offense, but because they feel like it at the moment…and that power doesn't disappear just because a person isn't brown.

If you love freedom and distrust government, then you do those things 24/7…not just when its convenient. If shielding my rights means sometimes benefiting a few illegals or makes a few legal hassles in exchange for keeping those right safe…so be it…small price to pay to live someplace that isn't like China, Iran or North Korea.

• man just roll over and die. This is a state right next to Mexico its still freaken mexico in way america fades to another culture slowly not right at the border, plus arizona is nothing compared to new york and new jersey where most of the people live and what the federal laws are really made for. this is going to turn into a israeli palestanian style conflict. if it were done in one of the northern states fine but arizona is right next to the border and being kool with our neighbors to the south is the right thing to do. America first? there are no fucking real lines that devide anything all nations are a joke and a flaw. Laws should be here to ensure peace. this is just some republican backlash because of the health care reform. And another way to keep illegals scared and working for cheap. Get a life dont come to an enlightened site like this with those kinds of opinions.

• Word Eater | Apr 28, 2010 at 10:22 am |

You fool! Surely you've seen the cautionary documentary “Born in East LA” where this sort of profiling was used to illegally send an American citizen to Mexico.

5. emperorreagan | Apr 27, 2010 at 9:35 am |

I think it's also worth noting that they approved a law making it legal to sell guns manufactured in Arizona without any background investigation whatsoever.

They'll soon have a booming business manufacturing guns to sell to drug cartels, by my estimation.

• Lonetrader | Jul 26, 2010 at 10:23 am |

What law is this? Can you give a penal code number or where it can be reaserched?

6. tonyviner | Apr 27, 2010 at 9:57 am |

Fortunately I retain the right to tell them no when they ask me for my papers. Fortunately, also, is the fact that they will likely never ask me for my papers because I was blessed with being white. Never before have I been so happy to have such a small wang.

7. justagirl | Apr 27, 2010 at 10:11 am |

uh. was that a politician that made a lot of sense!!? woah. i am liking.