Texas City Reinstates Corporal Punishment In Public Schools

punishment

If there’s one thing Texans love besides barbecue, it’s paddling their kids. From the Washington Post:

“There are times when maybe a good crack might not be a bad idea,” said Robert Pippin, a custom home builder who sports a goatee and cowboy boots. His son graduated from Temple schools several years ago.

Corporal punishment remains legal in 20 states, mostly in the South, but its use is diminishing. Ohio ended it last year, and a movement for a federal ban is afoot. Most school districts across the country banned paddling of students long ago. Texas sat that trend out.

But even by Texas standards, Temple is unusual. The city, a compact railroad hub of 60,000 people, banned the practice and then revived it at the demand of parents who longed for the orderly schools of yesteryear. Since paddling was brought back to the city’s 14 schools by a unanimous board vote in May, behavior at Temple’s single high school has changed dramatically.

, , , ,

10 Responses to Texas City Reinstates Corporal Punishment In Public Schools

1. connie dobbs April 23, 2010 at 11:10 am #

I support capital punishment for children in texas.

• connie dobbs April 23, 2010 at 11:10 am #

oh crap, misread. Yeah, paddle them little rednecks too.

2. justagirl April 23, 2010 at 11:26 am #

“a good crack”…lol. silly texans. we should kick them out of the U. nowadays, slapping asses should be for adults only. i'm hoping to get mine slapped this sunday. wish me luck.

• victor June 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

I love you. and so does my hand.

3. Hadrian999 April 23, 2010 at 4:03 pm #

i say we give texas back to mexico

• chonus April 23, 2010 at 7:14 pm #

No gracias.

4. Anonymous April 24, 2010 at 12:14 am #

No gracias.

5. victor June 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm #

I am from Texas and was spanked with wooden paddles,at least once a week for my whole elementary..and a few during middle school. I can honestly say I didnt deserve any of those beatings. There were times that i was defending myself against a bully or bullies…but even then,why do I get another beating for being beaten? Parents couldnt opt their kids out either. ALSO,if you were being picked on and you told a teacher..my first grade teacher would literally pin a “pin the tail on the donkey” tail ,with tattle tell written on it, on you ,and you had to wear it ALL DAY.
    For all of the haters on Texas..you need to be hating on the Christian Conservatives/Republican stranglehold that Texas suffers from …we are next to last in education and that is how the Republicans like it..keep the citizens dumb and clueless so they will keep voting Republican..which  essentially goes against anything decent and human.

6. victor June 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm #

7. victor June 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I love you. and so does my hand.