DeIicious Iconography: The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Feast your eyes on this, true believers. Via notetoself.net:
4568069317_b652e29591

Image: AKA Dillweed (CC) via Flickr

On this, the first of May 2010, I am proud to release this piece of sacred art which I commissioned from Sarah Pierce. I welcome you to join me in silent reverence to His Savoriness, the Noodle in the Sky, our Saucy Master, The Flying Spaghetti Monster. May you be forever touched by His Noodly Appendage.

See and read more: notetoself.net

35 Comments on "DeIicious Iconography: The Flying Spaghetti Monster"

1. tonyviner | May 3, 2010 at 5:11 pm |

Hail Fettuccine!!!

m/

2. I am all for irreverence and jokes, especially on people or institutions who cant take them.

The flying Spaghetti monster seems to me an ill conceived icon for atheism as no one, least of all atheists believe in a flying Spaghetti monster.

I propose, instead, something along the lines of a vial of chemicals accidentally tipped over since atheists , ahem, BELIEVE we are just a mixture of chemicals and matter in a universe that is a giant accident, without cause or meaning.

• dumbsaint | May 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm |

Those silly atheists and their crazy ideas. They have yet to be touched by his noodly appendage.

• ideas are great! ideologies, like scientism, I think we can do without. they suspend critical thinking. think about it.

• dumbsaint | May 3, 2010 at 11:23 pm |

'Faith' is the suspension of critical thought. Science doesn't need to be believed, it shows it's working out.

• I agree with you 1500%. However a good many scientists or followers of scientism do indeed engage in all sorts of beliefs about the world around them and some of those beliefs are quite dogmatic.

• Hadrian999 | May 4, 2010 at 12:21 am |

it isn't an icon of of atheism it is an icon of the absurdity of any belief system.
      using an overtly silly “god” to show that none of the other cults have any more claim to seriousness
      or validity if any part of your behavior system requires “faith” you are in the same boat weather you look to buddha, jesus, wotan, or anthropomorphized pasta

• How do feel about my personal fave, Loki?

Just curious.

• I am a strong advocate for absurdity, and an opponent of faith. just so we are clear.

It seems to me that the FSM is indeed an icon that atheists, more than any other belief system, like to rally around -for those very reasons you have pointed out. However those cults you mention Buddhism, Odinism, and christianity do indeed have more validity than FSM for a number of reasons that should be self evident. The same goes for Cthulu and the necronomicon cycle. There is something more going on there than a a very short punchline.

as I said, no one, least of all devotees of FSM, believe in the FSM or have achieved or even claimed to achieve any kind of Gnosis through eating spagetti. or whatever. FSM is a joke! OBVIOUSLY! and a funny one, I guess, but not as good as Bob Dobbs, IMHO.

• tonyviner | May 4, 2010 at 10:16 pm |

Isn't spaghetti just a mixture of chemicals and matter in a universe… ?

The streets will flow with the marinara of the nonbelievers!!! All Hail King Fettuccine!!!

3. tonyviner | May 3, 2010 at 6:11 pm |

Hail Fettuccine!!!

m/

4. I am all for irreverence and jokes, especially on people or institutions who cant take them.

5. I prefer reasoned atheism to blind faith any day.

6. I prefer reasoned atheism to blind faith any day.

7. Hadrian999 | May 4, 2010 at 1:21 am |

8. How do feel about my personal fave, Loki?

Just curious.

9. Hadrian999 | May 4, 2010 at 1:38 am |

not the most reliable chap

10. well, no, but he is a lotta laffs at parties.

11. I guess I should also state that my comment in no way was meant to belittle Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Steve Winwood or Ric Grech.

12. That is 'effin AWESOME.

You could so go into business selling those. I think that would be particularly hilarious to see that hung from a nice sun-facing window in your home in the Deep South. Like say, Mississippi. Next to a mega church.

13. justagirl | May 4, 2010 at 8:04 am |

judging by the replies, it seems people believe the church owns all rights to stained glass art. what a crock. it's not an abomination! so, the artist likes spaghetti – big deal. it looks like a LOT of time went into this piece – cutting and placing pieces just right. i think it's kind of cute. it looks a little like an octopus or a bug with big red eyes. i wouldn't hang it in my house, but, nice work!

14. justagirl | May 4, 2010 at 9:04 am |

15. TruthSeeker | May 4, 2010 at 11:18 am |

What about all the scumbag catholic priests who touched all those small children with thier “Noodly Appendage”?!

I think the whole world would be better off with the Flying Spaghetti Monster!

16. How refreshing to see a god with balls. Great, steaming, meaty balls. A hungry man's diety.

17. tonyviner | May 4, 2010 at 10:27 pm |

Imagine if you will a world overrun by a tyrannical, bloodthirsty maniac that is the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The combined evils of all the religions the world has ever known will pale in comparison to the terror unleashed at the unwavering and mighty iron noodle of our supreme ruler. He knows not compassion and seeks not love from the lesser beings of this petty existence. He commands only respect wishes only to have his power thrust on the once mighty race of humans of this earth.

Don't imagine too hard, people will believe anything you tell them if they think they will get free bread sticks out of the deal. Just look at Scientology. If you think that nowhere out there people are praying to this thing, then you are probably wrong. I can't wait for the crusade to take back the Philippines. It will be glorious if it happens as it was prophesied many generations ago. All the world will know one name: Flying Spaghetti Monster.

18. Anonymous | May 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm |

And a hungry man’s diet.

19. tonyviner | May 5, 2010 at 6:27 pm |

And a hungry man's diet.