260610_grannyThe cops-abusing-their-tasers story to top them all? Maybe not — I am still expecting a “baby-tazing” incident shortly. From the Courthouse News Service:

Police tasered an 86-year-old disabled grandma in her bed and stepped on her oxygen hose until she couldn’t breathe, after her grandson called 911 seeking medical assistance, the woman and her grandson claim in Oklahoma City Federal Court. Though the grandson said, “Don’t Taze my granny!” an El Reno police officer told another cop to “Taser her!” and wrote in his police report that he did so because the old woman “took a more aggressive posture in her bed,” according to the complaint.

Lonnie Tinsley claims that he called 911 after he went to check on his grandmother, whom he found in her bed, “connected to a portable oxygen concentrator with a long hose…to ask for an emergency medical technician to come to her apartment to evaluate her.”

In response, “as many as ten El Reno police” officers “pushed their way through the door,” according to the complaint. The grandma, Lona Varner, “told them to get out of her apartment.”

The remarkable complaint continues: “Instead, the apparent leader of the police [defendant Thomas Duran] instructed another policeman to ‘Taser her!’ He stated in his report that the 86 year-old plaintiff ‘took a more aggressive posture in her bed,’ and that he was fearful for his safety and the safety of others. “Lonnie Tinsley told them, ‘Don’t taze my Granny!’ to which they responded that they would Taser him; instead, they pulled him out of her apartment, took him down to the floor, handcuffed him and placed him in the back of a police car.

“The police then proceeded to approach Ms. Varner in her bed and stepped on her oxygen hose until she began to suffer oxygen deprivation. “The police then fired a Taser at her and only one wire struck her, in the left arm; the police then fired a second Taser, striking her to the right and left of the midline of her upper chest and applied high voltage, causing burns to her chest, extreme pain and to pass out.”

55 Comments on "Oklahoma Police Taze Bedridden 86-Year-Old Grandmother For “Aggressive Posture In Her Bed”"

1. The cops were just doing their job.

Protecting their own power and the power of the wealthy from even potential challanges.

2. iphlogiston | Jun 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm |

Man, I'm going to become a cop. I wanna Tase a baby or three. 🙂

• Yeah shit if I can't make money with art I'm going to paint the town red as a cop.

3. E.B. Wolf | Jun 28, 2010 at 1:38 pm |

Right now there is a legion of young psychopaths paying close attention to the endless supply of stories and videos like this, and dreaming of the day when they get a badge of their very own.

• Limitless | Jun 28, 2010 at 2:24 pm |

Apparently, young psychopaths are paying attention and making their dreams a reality by getting badges and doing stuff like this!.

• E.B. Wolf | Jun 28, 2010 at 3:40 pm |

Obviously. But my point is that while people post stories and videos of blatant police brutality in hopes of stirring public outrage; the fact that cops consistently get away with it might make them an effective recruitment tool for juvenile sadists of all types to pursue a career “protecting and serving” the public.

• tonyviner | Jun 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm |

Yeah, I know some of them. I used to call them friends and family, now I just call them pathetic.

• E.B. Wolf | Jun 28, 2010 at 5:03 pm |

Me too. I call them hypocrites since one of the Sheriff's Department canine handlers in my town used to do coke and sell steroids when we went to high school together. I don't know about the blow, but he looks like he's still fond of the juice.

Typical cop groupie type. Robo-jock in school. Not a good enough athlete to compete at college level and nowhere near bright enough to do much else.

• Never get on the wrong side of a cop whether on or off duty. Bad things can start happening in your life and their buddies will be behind those bad things.

• And the ones that don't make the cut get to become security guards and nightclub doormen

4. It's time to put the real criminals in jail cops, politicians and CEO's. I hope they sue the crap out of those bastards.

5. I'm siding with the cop. I have a granny just like that. Tazing is the only thing she understands.

6. And the nuisance tazings just keep coming! Do the cops actually want to be disarmed? Because not one of us here, from the most ardent of cop haters to the most eloquent of peaceniks, has EVER managed to make a case for the end of tazer use as effectively and skillfully as the police do all by themselves through their actions.

7. emperorreagan | Jun 28, 2010 at 3:13 pm |

I am clicking my mouse aggressively and waiting for the pigs to rush in and taze me.

8. I still cannot believe that they did that. Totally absurd. On top of tazing her, they stepped on her Portable Oxygen Concentrator ? They should be charged with attempted murder! Stepping on her oxygen supply is tantamount to choking her. I can only hope that these megalomaniacs face swift justice.

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 28, 2010 at 8:37 pm |

I imagine that was accidental. It's pretty easy to do. Doesn't exempt them from tazing a bed-ridden 86 year old grandmother hooked up to a breather, but in the interest of fairness I sincerely doubt stepping on the hose was intentional.

9. What the hell is WRONG with people?

I mean seriously….. Every day its a new pile of ass.

10. Cerebralcaustic | Jun 28, 2010 at 3:30 pm |

The article fails to describe the so-called “aggressive posture” of the grandmother.

By describing the actions of the police out-of-context, the article gives readers a one-sided account of events. Even the lawsuit's not much help: http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/06/24/TaserG

People with dementia are sometimes aggressive — their behavior can be _extremely_ combative and difficult. I worked in a hospital for 6 months and saw a few old people behaving in bizarre, threatening ways that I _never_ would've expected from a wrinkled grandfather or grandma.

To all the haters, it's easy to make a judgment of a situation of which you have no experience.

Me? I've seen enough to lead me to suspend judgment. At least until more information comes out.

• tonyviner | Jun 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm |

I wonder about you sometimes, man. I'd pray for you, but I don't do that sort of thing.

• Wow! Dealing with those old, demented people must've been really terrifying. How did you ever survive? My sympathies go out to you.

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 28, 2010 at 8:35 pm |

Dementia or not, she was 86, bed-ridden and hooked up to an oxygen tank. If you can't handle someone like that NONVIOLENTLY when two other officers are with you, you are a shit policeman. I don't think there's any debate to be had there, in all honesty.

• E.B. Wolf | Jun 28, 2010 at 9:51 pm |

You would make a great PR rep, if that's not already your job..

• Even if the old woman was aggressive, what were the cops doing there in the first place? The 911 call was said to be for “emergency medical technicians” to come to the apartment. Cops are not medics. It sounds like: a) There was a huge clerical error on the part of 911, and b) The police reacted violently to a woman who was understandably irritated that they showed up when what was asked for were paramedics, which is completely out of line.

• wow you must really like getting attention from ridiculous posts like this. Wha't you said was a virtual tasing of all of us. Everyone knows cops are dumbasses.

• Coolaidwoman | Jun 29, 2010 at 6:57 pm |

I have work in homes with elderly like this. I have even been in a grappling situation and gotten hurt. but in no way would I have needed a taser to defend agents a geriatric. they had wayyyyyy more options and, they are Not medics and law ( protocol ) is to wait for medics if they are who was call for. They did fuck up.

• “I worked in a hospital for 6 months and saw a few old people behaving in bizarre, threatening ways that I _never_ would've expected from a wrinkled grandfather or grandma. “

And yet here you are, alive, well, all while being around people like this ALL DAY. And through it all, somehow, you managed to do it without tazing anyone. Getting the point yet ?

You are welcome for spelling it out for you, glad to do it.

• I don't care if the woman is psychopathic–she's 86 years old!! In bed!! With an oxygen tank!! Hello!! I bet you hated “Where's Waldo?” when you were a kid, eh?

11. DeepCough | Jun 28, 2010 at 5:58 pm |

Unless grandma's “aggressive posture” was due to her sudden transformation into a zombie that was about to gnaw (or gum) on the skull of an officer, there was no reason to use the taser, and even then tasers are wholly ineffective against zombies anyhow.

12. KLS-yesca | Jun 28, 2010 at 9:18 pm |

this cant be true…cause if it is I hope the woman has a good lawyer cause she is going to be rich!! im thinking a least a million!!!!

13. Thestolenmirror | Jun 29, 2010 at 9:53 am |

According to the police, Varner was suicidal and threatened them with a kitchen knife that she pulled out from underneath her pillow.

• Tuna Ghost | Jun 29, 2010 at 10:07 pm |

Tazing her was still a potentially lethal step, and was completely unecessary. Ten officers could have subdued her easily without tazing her.

14. KarmaComin | Jun 29, 2010 at 10:57 am |

This makes me sick inside. I pray for INSTANT karma on these abusive bastards! (this is coming from a disabled officer)

15. I strongly suspect that this post does not give a fully accurate and objective view on the events that took place on that day 😉

Either that or the teabaggers were right all the time: with ObamaCare you will not get an ambulance when you call for medical assistance. Instead ten police officers will storm into your home an tase you unconscious…

• Actually, you're thinking of the previous administration. You know, the one that blows up innocent Iraqi children with 1000 pound “smart” bombs. They're the ones wearing the brown shirts and jack boots…

16. Some people should never have become public servants, and it is very scary that this person also carries a loaded gun on his duty belt. There is no excuse for the officers action and what form of aggression could a bed ridden person show that could endanger a trained police officer? Cops are just getting Taser happy! It needs to stop!!! Their are situations where Tasers are warranted, but all to often we see them misused and nothing is done about it. I carry a C-2 Taser for self defense and have never deployed it, even tho provoked.

17. Anonymous | Jun 29, 2010 at 2:47 pm |

My question is why is was necessary for TEN police officers to show up? TEN! Serious miscommunication on the 911 operator's end.

18. Coolaidwoman | Jun 29, 2010 at 6:47 pm |

Lack of training, with a means of deterrent ( not a weapon ), and a god complex makes me pissed off at these situations… I'm sure that all of the armed polices lives were highly at stake when the women tried to sit up in bed in pjs and say ” get out of my home!” I would have shot her I'm sure, how scary for those grown men with guns. She mite have used her mind to melt theirs or something.
    I hope the boy gets too sue, I hope the granny gets too sue. I hope the granny didn't incur more health problems.
    Sending good wishes and love to Granny.
    P.S. If I could take them to a CLS gas chamber make them breath it and choke and just as they think they are getting out into fresh air…taze them.

• The old girl was armed with a deadly sharp set of dentures. She might have leaped from her bed and bitten a cop right in the neck. Maybe they need to carry machine guns as standard issue when visiting the elderly.

19. Stepping on her oxygen line until she suffered oxygen deprivement? WTF? I take care of my 87yo mother and she's on oxygen. I'm just beside myself that a cop would do this.

And shooting a taser at an elderly person who very likely has heart problems? And what exactly is a “threatening posture” when someone is lying in bed? If she was getting out of bed and brandishing a weapon I could see why the cop might think safety was an issue.

And as others have said, why were cops there anyway? It was an EMT call. And even if cops normally answer along with EMT, why so many and why come in looking for trouble?

20. Ohstewartsr | Jun 29, 2010 at 9:39 pm |

fire them and put them on trial

21. That wasn't oxygen she was breathing, it was *pure, concentrated EVIL*…they HAD to taze her!

22. I'm not saying that cop didn't abuse his power. But this article is hugely biased. If anyone cared to do research you would learn that she actually was threatening the officers with a knife that she pulled from under her pillow.

• The source of the claim that she threatened the officers is the police report. Seeing as how they were the ones who tazed her, their report should not be assumed to be true.

23. Everyone is ignoring the obvious and logical reasoning behind their action; it's just so damn fun to watch them wiggle and scream. Stop being such pussies and go buy a Tazer and try it yourself. Sleeping bum's are the best to start with, but if you want to jump directly to geriatrics go for it. You only live once.

24. Namelesswon | Jun 30, 2010 at 5:37 am |

aCTUALLY; News just in, The cops are now saying that The old lady was having a heart seizure due to the surprise of being slammed by a bunch of cops and the only way they could resuscitate her was with the multiple tazering or what i call “Multi-taze heart massaging”. So its a chicken and the egg scenario, Thank god the cops who busted her and caused her to have the heart attack were carrying tazers, if they werent we could have had a crazy police enquiry and yet again another bad publicity field day for cops,” phew”.

25. That don't surprise me at all, what would you expect from a cop?…when you wear a badge with a cockroach IQ, that's how you react.

26. This article is terribly written. Where did you learn English grammar?

27. I bet these cops were nonwhite. How stupid we whites are for increasingly putting ourselves and our very futures at the mercy of those who are not genetically similar to us, and have been taught by self-hating white liberals to hate us! REJECT DIVERSITY!

28. I bet these cops were nonwhite. How stupid we whites are for increasingly putting ourselves and our very futures at the mercy of those who are not genetically similar to us, and have been taught by self-hating white liberals to hate us! REJECT DIVERSITY!