Orson Wells On Police, Passports, And The Erosion Of Rights

The free citizen is always more of a nuisance to the policeman than the criminal. He knows what to do about the criminal.

On his 1955 BBC television show The Orson Welles Sketchbook, Orson Welles gives a prescient talk on the dangers of the police and authority.

, , ,

10 Responses to Orson Wells On Police, Passports, And The Erosion Of Rights

1. Hmm... June 25, 2010 at 11:21 am #

Funny.

So far I've had a few experiances with the police. Now I'm a very large man, tall with broad shoulders, a lantern jaw and I tend to frown as my normal expression. Ive had guns pulled on me every time I've ever interacted with the police, except for a traffic stop where I wasn't ticketed. I'm talking about times where I was moving slowly and showing submission, and for such terrible crimes as Marijuana possession.

If he turns around, lays on the ground and puts his hands behind his back, he probably doesn't need a gun to his head to subdue him.

I know this isn't quite on topic, but Mr. Welles reminded me of a particular incident.

2. GoodDoktorBad June 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm #

Wow, Orson Wells was quite an interesting man. Quite a relevent and honest -human view of “Police, Passports, And The Erosion Of Rights”. Much more relevent and “in your face” now -then then.
    Excellent post!

3. VoxMagi June 26, 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Kudos to Jacob Sloan! Wonderful and relevant even a half century later !

4. Cerebralcaustic June 26, 2010 at 7:39 pm #

Y'all know that distrust of centralized government authority is trait of *conservative* philosophy, dontcha? And that expanding the size and scope of government authority is a defining trait of leftist philosophy?

Read Edmund Burke, y'll

• Bruinhill71 June 27, 2010 at 11:33 am #

Maybe in the past, but not now–now it's the former “states' rights” party that wants to make sure that everything that's not forbidden is mandatory. Welcome to the present…y'all

• Haystack June 29, 2010 at 7:57 pm #

It seems to depend on who is currently president.

5. RONIN June 26, 2010 at 9:58 pm #

HAHAHAHAHA. An atom bomb in his bag. That's priceless.

Good ol' Orson Wells. A man after my own heart.

6. Beeter12 June 27, 2010 at 11:37 am #

An intelligent articulate man, and yet twice he referred to the “Negro” in question (an adult war veteran) as “the boy.” As did Ingmar Bergman in “Casablanca”–no wonder white people got weird when Afro-American jazz musicians started calling each other “man.” Even the humanitarians among them didn't like the idea of people of color being considered full adult humans. Have we changed much????

7. Haystack June 30, 2010 at 12:57 am #

It seems to depend on who is currently president.