Beepers to Protect Children From Sexual Predators

South Korea has taken steps toward keeping their children safe from sexual predators.  Each child was given a beeper with a GPS device installed. After atrocious attacks on minors, the government has decided to equip children with these beepers in order to warn police of any danger. The beepers will also activate surveillance cameras. An interesting use of technology as police protection, but how do you remind your child to remember his/her rape beeper every morning? The Himalayan Times reports:

Some 1,200 elementary school children in Anyang City, south of Seoul, will receive the beepers in a test run from October.

Authorities will then consider adopting the system nationwide, the Ministry of Public Administration and Security said.

Each child will be able to use their matchbox-sized beeper, fitted with GPS (global positioning device) technology, to activate any nearby cameras and alert parents and police via mobile phone.

The government has strengthened monitoring of elementary schools after several crimes against children.

Police last month arrested a 44-year-old habitual sex offender for kidnapping an eight-year-old girl at her school in southern Seoul and raping her.

The National Police Agency has announced a plan to launch investigative units nationwide to tackle such crimes and declared “war” on child molesters.

, , , , , , , ,

  • http://www.ContraControl.com/ Zenc

    How do you remind the kids to take their rape beeper with them every morning?

    You hide it in an sms text message enabled cellphone.

    But if pedophilia is that big of a problem, you need really need to spend some resources getting to the bottom of the problem instead of just guarding against the symptoms.

  • Andrew

    Most child sexual abuse happens in the bedrock of culture, the family. I suspect many parents are terrified because of what happened to them as children and are displacing those fears, while others have pedophilic feelings themselves and project them.

    • Gemmarama

      i agree with andrew above – similarly, the media sensationalistically reports incidents of women being attacked on the streets, when the vast majority of women who are raped know their attacker. it's about manufacturing fear.

      i don't know what it's like in korea but in the UK paedophilia seems to have turned into a media obsession over the past 10-15 years. yet whilst the tabloid press will bay for the blood of the latest paedophile bogeyman on the front cover, page three will carry a topless photograph of a pouting, doe-eyed 18-yr-old, or – as The Sun famously did – a “countdown” to charlotte church's 16th birthday… how many levels of wrong do we need here?!

      • Hadrian999

        nothing wrong with topless 18 year olds

        • Gemmarama

          yeah sure beavis, if YOU happen to be 18. which i doubt you are…

          when these 18-yr-olds are blatantly done up and shot to look even younger though, on the pages of a family “news”paper, you've got to worry.

          what with the influence of advertising and its “sex sells” mantra, sensationalistic media and its fetishisation of youth, and commercial porn and its commodification of sexuality, is it any wonder we are getting so damn fucked up about it all?

          • Hadrian999

            what's the point of being alive if you don't enjoy yourself.

          • Gemmarama

            when did i make any argument against enjoying yourself?

  • tonyviner

    Why can't someone just develop a little kid-shaped sex doll for these degenerates, complete with a Gameboy and a frog in the pocket? I guess once you suffer from the hunger, nothing short of the real thing can satiate it.

    Seriously though, while I don't care much for what they do, this needs to be looked at more seriously as an illness. Rational people cannot justify sucking off an 8 year old, so there has to be more to it than “I just wanted to.”

    • Haystack

      My theory is that 80% of the people who fantasize about sucking off 8 year olds never act upon it because it's obviously wrong, and that the remaining 20% are people who were morally underdeveloped to begin with. It's hard for me to imagine that any sexual impulse can be SO overpowering that MUST act upon it, even if it means screwing up a child for life.

  • Hadrian999

    the beeper is a good idea but it should also act as a stun grenade/ bank paint pack

  • Gemmarama

    when did i make any argument against enjoying yourself?

21
More in beepers, Children, Rape, school, Sex Offender, Sexual Assault, South Korea, Surveillance
Justice Department Investigates FBI Agents Cheating on Exams

Oh the irony! Agents being investigated because of the lack of surveillance while they cheated on a surveillance test. It seems the SATs are harder to cheat on than an...

Close