So You Think You Write Like A Famous Author

I Write Like is a new site that analyzes your writing style to tell what famous author you write like most. The page contains a window where you can type or paste a paragraph from your personal writings and it will tell you if you write like James Joyce, or Chaucer, or Twain. The program contains numerous excerpts of famous writers’ work which it uses to analyze similarities in your own personal style. The site has had a few interesting results that prove it needs a bit more work. The Huffington Post, points out:

The funniest result so far must be what Margaret Atwood got when she tried out the tool. Atwood, whose name is one of the results that users can get, tweeted on July 13, “According to the I Write Like analysis, I write like… Ta da! Stephen King! Who knew?”

If you need a bit of inspiration, motivation, or just plain fun, I Write Like is worth checking out.

, , , , , ,

22 Responses to So You Think You Write Like A Famous Author

1. Word Eater July 16, 2010 at 7:48 pm #

Let's see. I took a short story and submitted a page at a time.

The first page was like Neil Gaiman. Score!

The second page was like Getrude Stein. That's pretty cool.

The third page was like Dan Brown. I stopped checking.

• Hadrian999 July 16, 2010 at 8:15 pm #

at least you didn't score a don pendleton or god forbid glenn beck

• tonyviner July 17, 2010 at 2:11 am #

I considered reading Glenn Beck's new novel, just too see, but decided that I'd be devastated if I found out that I liked it. I don't feel like killing myself.

• Hadrian999 July 17, 2010 at 9:03 am #

from what i've heard it isn't a novel really
          that it's 99% political document 1% story with terrible character development

• Cerebralcaustic July 17, 2010 at 4:31 pm #

I flipped through the Overton Window at a bookstore recently. Looked like a by-the-numbers political thriller. That genre doesn't appeal to me, generally speaking, precisely because it's so predictable and shallow.

There are some exceptions, of course — it's possible to make a case for, say, John le Carre as having enduring literary merit, but Beck and his army of co-writers didn't seem to be in the same ballpark.

2. D351 July 16, 2010 at 8:06 pm #

I saw this on twitter yesterday. First time I got the author of earthsea. The next three times, I got David Foster Wallace. I'd never heard of him, but his titles sound like somethings I'd like to read. I may have to look further in to that next time I order some books.

• Haystack July 16, 2010 at 9:12 pm #

Same story here. I got him, looked him up, and ordered one of his books from Audible. He sounds pretty cool, except for the footnoting thing–I hate when authors do that.

Did you notice that the author link goes to Amazon? They must be making their money through the Affiliates program.

• Gemmarama July 17, 2010 at 12:49 pm #

me too! i got david foster wallace and margaret atwood. delighted.

3. tonyviner July 17, 2010 at 2:09 am #

The first one I got was James Joyce, then I put in a different part of the same story and got Chuck Palahniuk, took a bit out of that piece and got J.D. Salinger. Next I posted this piece from my stand up routine:

So, my girlfriend wants me to wear women's underwear. I don't want to do it. No real reason, I am not scared or anything, not afraid that I'd like it too much. I need to do something different anyway. Maybe this will keep my balls from sticking to my leg all the time. It just doesn't seem as attractive as when a girl has on guys clothes. Is that gay? Nothing would make me feel less sexy than for my fat ass to have on some kind of frilly, lace panties. It's just cuter when chicks do it. You ever seen a girl wearing a baseball cap backwards? Like she means it? It so freaking adorable, like seeing your dog sitting on one of your dining room chairs with his paws on the table at dinner and you say “Oh, look at him, he thinks he's a person.”

And got David Foster Wallace.

4. Henyiman July 17, 2010 at 5:23 am #

Robot Forex
    Broker Forex
    Trading Forex

5. Alech July 17, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

I write like Dan Brown apparently Oh the shame!

6. Hadrian999 July 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm #

i wonder if anyone ever scores an H.P. Lovecraft

• mutterhals July 19, 2010 at 11:41 am #

I got Dan Brown, then HP Lovecraft, then fucking Raymond Chandler.

• Hadrian999 July 19, 2010 at 1:56 pm #

that's an odd combo

7. Cerebralcaustic July 17, 2010 at 4:25 pm #

I hereby call shenanigans

Based on four samples of my writing (fiction, fiction, non-fiction, and a college paper) I write like:

1. Harry Harrison (who I've read and admired)

2. David Foster Wallace (who I've never read)

3. David Foster Wallace

4. Isaac Asimov (who I've read and admired)

Harry Harrison wrote like:

James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake writes like:

James Joyce

Charles Fort writes like:

Edgar Allen Poe

Ben Hecht writes like:

H.P. Lovecraft

…I'm not terribly impressed with the analyses of the website.

But it is fun!

8. Synapse July 18, 2010 at 10:35 am #

James Joyce and Daniel Defoe, doesn't look like many got the second. Regardless, statistical analysis is not exactly productive. Stephan King's works measured statistically as that of several different writers with different styles. Very few books are consistent enough to actually say “single writer” and those are usually old ancient works written before you had a variety in how things were written.

9. Namelesswon July 19, 2010 at 8:27 am #

i done did this muthafukin bullshiiieet website shiet and it turns out I write like;

!. Alfred Tennyson
    2. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
    3. Kid Capri
    4.Anaïs Nin
    5. Jessica Fletcher

I know this muthafucka is bullshiet cos Jessica Fletcher aint even a muthafuckin real writer , beyatch.

10. E.B. Wolf July 20, 2010 at 1:45 am #

William Gibson (Neuromancer) writes like Vladimir Nabokov.
    H.P. Lovecraft (Mountains of Madness) writes like George Orwell. I found this very interesting.
    Jack Kerouac (On the Road) writes like William Gibson.

Hunter Thompson (F and L) writes like ??????Stephen King??????. At least this one proves the Singularity has not yet happened.

11. E.B. Wolf July 19, 2010 at 8:45 pm #

William Gibson (Neuromancer) writes like Vladimir Nabokov.
    Jack Kerouac (On the Road) writes like William Gibson.

12. Guesto April 14, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

I got Chuck Palahniuk, whose work I’ve never read but whose reputation is too hipster for my taste. Although, we do both write in an unapologetically dark and morose style.

13. Guesto April 15, 2011 at 2:49 am #