Anne Rice: ‘Today I Quit Being A Christian’

Anne_RiceAnne Rice tells NPR why she has rejected organized religion:

On July 28, bestselling author Anne Rice officially left the Roman Catholic Church.

The writer has had a fairly tumultuous religious history. Although she was raised Catholic, Rice rejected the church for the first time when she was 18.

But in 1998, Rice — who’s famous mostly for writing steamy, gothic, decidedly un-Christian novels such as Interview with the Vampire — had a religious awakening. She converted to Catholicism and began to write exclusively Christian-themed novels, like Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt.

In July, Rice decided she had had enough. She announced her decision on her Facebook page:

“For those who care, and I understand if you don’t: Today I quit being a Christian. I’m out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being ‘Christian’ or to being part of Christianity. It’s simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I’ve tried. I’ve failed. I’m an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

But, the decision wasn’t an easy one.

“It was very painful,” Rice tells NPR’s Michele Norris. “But I’ve always been public about my beliefs, and I’ve always been public about wanting to make a difference.”…

[continues at NPR]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

20 Comments on "Anne Rice: ‘Today I Quit Being A Christian’"

1. If you've ever read her Vampire Chronicles, you would know she likes gays way more than she likes Jesus. Granted, she tried to combine them into Gay Jesus, but the Church could never allow that.

2. Bad news for Christians, good news for gay vampires.

3. tonyviner | Aug 4, 2010 at 3:26 pm |

Who gives a shit. Christians suck, whether or not they call themselves Christians or not.

4. Haystack | Aug 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm |

It's too bad that while she was away being Christian Stephanie Meyer ate her lunch.

5. Woman with too much time on her hands and not enough publicity makes a stretch to emphasize something everyone already knew.

6. Hadrian999 | Aug 5, 2010 at 5:00 am |

at least her announcement didn't include any stan rice poetry

7. dragonblogger | Aug 5, 2010 at 9:31 pm |

@Haystack, pretty funny about the Stephanie Meyer bit, she is Mormon isn't she?

8. Ebdomeros | Aug 6, 2010 at 12:31 am |

ms. Rice, go back to school, one doen not “pluck” a sistrum, it's metal made and and u shake it. it's not an isidean fender. if u were a christian the way u do your research for your overblown books we dont want u with us. farewell.

9. She’s a frikkin nutjob. “I’m a Christian, I’m not a Christian, I’m a Christian”, she can’t make her mind up about anything. Plus, she’s a terrible person. (I had the misfortune of talking to her online once – yuk. Rudest woman alive. I’m an atheist, and we don’t want her!!

10. She's a frikkin nutjob. “I'm a Christian, I'm not a Christian, I'm a Christian”, she can't make her mind up about anything. Plus, she's a terrible person. (I had the misfortune of talking to her online once – yuk. Rudest woman alive. I'm an atheist, and we don't want her!!

11. The important thing is…she remains “committed to Christ”, who rejected organised religion.

12. The important thing is…she remains “committed to Christ”, who rejected organised religion.

13. Bigdickmegaherz | Aug 9, 2011 at 12:10 am |

Good job being understanding and actually reading the article asshole. Your a bigot.

14. Purplerainbow | Aug 9, 2011 at 12:11 am |

Your a GAYTHEIST!! WOW… at least your not a FAGNOSTIC!

15. tonyviner | Aug 9, 2011 at 12:20 am |

My a bigot? Vampires suck too. Get it?