Florida Baby Facebook Photo Sparks Controversy

Michael Phelps got caught through Facebook, why not a baby! They do say a picture is worth a thousand hits, um, words. CBS News reports:

Nineteen-year-old Rachel Stieringer turned herself in to Clay County Sheriff’s deputies and has been charged with possession of drug paraphernalia after she took a picture of her baby “smoking” out of a bong and posted it on Facebook.

Stieringer claimed that the photo was taken as a joke to show one of her friends;  however, the supposed prank backfired big time when a Texas resident got wind of the photo and notified Florida’s abuse hot line.

The Florida Department of Children and Families launched an investigation into Stieringer’s parenting skills and announced Monday that although the bong appears to be smoke-filled the baby sustained no injuries in the taking of this photo, and his drug tests came back negative.

However, his chances of someday being appointed to the Supreme Court have taken a big hit.

More from AP News:

Clay County Sheriff’s deputies say Stieringer turned herself in July 29 and was released on $502 bond.

A message could not be left at Stieringer’s home Tuesday morning. The phone number was busy on several attempts.

, , , ,

28 Responses to Florida Baby Facebook Photo Sparks Controversy

1. Hadrian999 August 17, 2010 at 5:10 pm #

people are stupid, why would you post anything on a public account,
    haven't there been enough stories about things like this backfiring

2. VoxMagi August 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

Prank or no…anyone dumb enough to be grabbing a camera for a pic while their kid plays with their paraphernalia…deserves jail. Too stupid to be allowed air…much less children.

• dumbsaint August 17, 2010 at 8:33 pm #

You forgot '… and puts it on their facebook account'

• John Nicholson25 August 18, 2010 at 1:11 am #

you are angry at the world. To say they are too stupid to be allowed air. That girl didn't do anything morally wrong.

• VoxMagi August 18, 2010 at 8:03 am #

You'd have to be a pot head of epic proportions to think letting your infant play with your paraphernalia is morally/ethically acceptable. I was being gentle before…she should be dragged onto a field at halftime and clubbed to death by the team.

I'm not even anti-drug. If you can handle your shit and maintain…fine…if you turn into a fuck up who thinks an infant face down in your bong is just cool and funny…its waste of air…club to death time.

• iamadream August 18, 2010 at 2:03 pm #

you are way too opinionated & closed minded! it is clearly a joke, maybe distasteful, but a joke nonetheless. its people like like you, that make something out of nothing, that really screw things up for the rest of us. the girl turned herself in over this & has paid bond money for crists sake! damned nazi!

• iamadream August 18, 2010 at 2:07 pm #

I should say though, what a royal dumb ass for posting on FB

• VoxMagi August 18, 2010 at 7:03 pm #

you attribute a lot of humor and character to someone who has neither…lamest joke ever…yeah she turned herself in…whats she gonna do? make a break for it cross country after becoming a Facebook star while abusing her child through neglect?

my mind is pretty open…I wonder how far open it has to be to ignore a childs well being for a few giggles while stoned? hope I never find out.

• Polymorph Legion August 18, 2010 at 5:36 pm #

would you say the same thing if it were a beer bottle???

• VoxMagi August 18, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

Yes…as well for anything else, substance or circumstance.

• Michelle October 29, 2010 at 9:43 am #

I agree.. That pic is just wrong. And it could mess that baby up. I have 4 children and I would never do that. I don’t even like it when ppl smoke cigarettes around my kids.

• Connie Dobbs August 18, 2010 at 8:58 am #

I say she did. Rule #1 – don't share your shit with a freeloader. That kid obviously doesn't have his own stash. That's WRONG!

3. DeepCough August 17, 2010 at 5:25 pm #

“Well ain't that cure. BUT IT'S WRONG!”

4. Haystack August 17, 2010 at 6:14 pm #

My Dad used to used to put handguns in my cradle as a joke.

• justagirl August 18, 2010 at 9:46 am #

my mom let me play with steak knives and electrical outlets when i was a baby. we should release voxMagi on our parents.

5. Shaggz1297 August 17, 2010 at 10:06 pm #

wow stupid stupid why not just fwd the email to the police and save time?

6. John Nicholson25 August 18, 2010 at 1:10 am #

Poor girl. I think it is funny. It was just a joke. Poor kid.

7. iphlogiston August 18, 2010 at 1:28 pm #

Oh, but marijuana is harmless! You wouldn't give it to YOUR kids? Why not?

• Gemmarama August 18, 2010 at 7:01 pm #

never did me any harm… what were we talking about again?

8. Earbudcontender August 18, 2010 at 2:40 pm #

its like that baby addicted to cigs. Clearly should have been using a vaporizer.

• chonus August 18, 2010 at 10:33 pm #

lol. I wonder if that kid kicked his habit yet?

9. Pete21p August 18, 2010 at 5:16 pm #

I'm just thankful that the face of the baby was blurred to protect the identity. Day care kids can be so cruel…

10. Polymorph Legion August 18, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

no harm, no foul…

11. chonus August 18, 2010 at 10:49 pm #

That's nothing. You should see my baby bang heroine.

12. Chingchingaring555 August 19, 2010 at 12:39 am #

Oh you are SO sensitive

13. Eolas August 19, 2010 at 2:34 pm #

A $502 bond? What the hell was the judge smoking….where do you come up with a figure like $502???

14. Eolas August 19, 2010 at 9:34 am #