Where The High Paid Jobs Are In The United States

From The Atlantic:

Last week, I posted on a Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) report on the metro regions with the highest-paying jobs in nine major occupations. But this report only listed the top two regions in each category. So I decided to take a closer look at the underlying BLS data to compile a more comprehensive mapping of regional pay. With the help of my colleague, Charlotta Mellander, we looked at the pay levels for three types of jobs – high-skill, high-pay, creative class jobs; traditional, blue-collar, working class jobs; and lower-skill, lower-pay service jobs.

All_Classes_Wages1

The first map (above) shows the distribution of pay levels across all U.S. metro regions. The highest-paying metro pays more than double the lowest-paying one ($66,780 vs. $30,670). In fact, there are roughly two dozen metros which have half the pay level of the highest-paying region. That highest-paying region is San Jose ($66,780), followed by nearby San Francisco ($61,940)…

[continues at The Atlantic]

, ,

9 Responses to Where The High Paid Jobs Are In The United States

1. Connie Dobbs August 5, 2010 at 10:13 am #

There's no freaking way the average salary in Jacksonville NC is over 30k, considering that the majority of the population are e4 and below jarheads. Or are they conveniently not counting how crappy we pay our troops again?

• Your Mom August 5, 2010 at 10:59 am #

Your comment reminds me of when film critic Pauline Kael was shocked that Nixon won the election … because she didn't know anyone who voted for Nixon!

• Connie Dobbs August 5, 2010 at 11:46 am #

Except for the fact that I was one of those jarheads, and know how much an e4 makes today. I haven't been down there in 5 years or so, but a friend who just finished his tour there says that nothing much has changed. Camp Lejeune personnel are still the majority of J'ville's population. The question to the above infographic is does it INCLUDE or exclude the marines? My guess is that it excludes, since most of us were never considered “residents”. For example, I was not allowed to vote in local elections unless I were to go through the process of changing my legal residence. Since I was 19, I didn't (and neither do most others, at least until you're on your 2nd or 3rd enlistment, or married, or both).

• Hadrian999 August 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm #

troop pay is great if you are single,
      it is essentially 100% disposable, only thing i missed about my time in the army.

2. Your Mom August 5, 2010 at 11:01 am #

This chart does not show where the high-paid jobs are.

Rather, this chart shows where high-earners live. A subtle, but very important distinction: confusing statistical groups with flesh-and-blood people is the ecological fallacy.

3. Haystack August 5, 2010 at 7:10 pm #

After listening to conservatives argue endlessly that people who earn more are invariably smarter and harder working than those who earn less, I find it amusing that the highest earnings are clustered into blue states.

4. Hadrian999 August 5, 2010 at 9:04 pm #

I'd like to see an “effective income” breakdown on some of those areas,
    some areas have higher pay with a much higher cost of housing, depending on the area you are
    un you can have a much higher standard of living with lower pay.

5. VoxMagi August 6, 2010 at 2:37 pm #

Wow…so…east and west coast blue states with more minorities are paying the most taxes and providing jobs…while lower income red states are living off the dole like leeches. Worthless conservatives…always suckling at the public trough like bloated commie pigs. Someone should turn off the tap on these wastes of air. Where are Rush or Glenn when you really need them?

6. VoxMagi August 6, 2010 at 9:37 am #