Facebook’s Asocial Mark Zuckerberg

100920_r20016_p233Two weeks before the theatrical release of The Social Network, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg gets an in-depth interview/profile in the New Yorker. “Zuck” comes across as enigmatic, unfeeling, and awkward — an odd person to be reshaping the nature of social interaction and connection on a global scale:

The typical complaint about Zuckerberg is that he’s “a robot.” One of his closest friends told me, “He’s been overprogrammed.” Indeed, he sometimes talks like an Instant Message—brusque, flat as a dial tone—and he can come off as flip and condescending, as if he always knew something that you didn’t.

Despite his goal of global openness, however, Zuckerberg remains a wary and private person. He doesn’t like to speak to the press, and he does so rarely. He also doesn’t seem to enjoy the public appearances that are increasingly requested of him.

44 Comments on "Facebook’s Asocial Mark Zuckerberg"

1. I tried to add him as a facebook friend, but his supposed “real” page doesn’t even have the option to make a request.

2. I tried to add him as a facebook friend, but his supposed “real” page doesn’t even have the option to make a request.

• I don’t think that he is trying to be the “Tom” of Facebook but anyway, a facebook profile can’t have more then 5k friends.

3. That would explain why Facebook is slowly sailing away from what the users want and need!

4. That would explain why Facebook is slowly sailing away from what the users want and need!

5. I don’t think that he is trying to be the “Tom” of Facebook but anyway, a facebook profile can’t have more then 5k friends.

6. gemmarama | Sep 15, 2010 at 8:22 am |

aspergers?

7. gemmarama | Sep 15, 2010 at 4:22 am |

aspergers?

8. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 1:19 pm |

Facebook funded by C.I.A. and D.O.D. front “InQtell”. Research it, research “predictive programming”. Facebook is ok for some reasons, but as everything else that gets big, the wrong people use it. Just think about all of the GLOBAL statistics/trends pulled from facebook, what is this data used for in the long run??? Research it, and trust me, you”ll come to a conclusion you won”t like too much. No offence to all you diehard farm watering facebookers! =)

9. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 9:19 am |

• I thought that Facebook was financed by Elvis who was ordered by his spacelord to take over the web so that they could brainwash us and force us to send them all of our peanut butter & jelly!?

• FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 10:07 am |

It was! How insightful of you! Wow, I really can’t believe I didn’t get that!!! What are you some 911 truth “debunker” cuz its sure what you sound like spouting off your ridiculous insults and not actually responding to what I said. Prove me wrong. Or go troll somewhere else.

• FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 10:12 am |

It’s on the fucking CIA.GOV website lol. in-q-tel. Look it up or shut up. sorry.

• FacebookBad | Sep 16, 2010 at 9:19 am |

http://www.iqt.org https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/additional-publications/in-q-tel/index.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook There, READ THE FACTS before you talk shit, this is why nobody has any idea what even HALF of the truth is. Maybe you enjoy confusing people. Or maybe you are just willfully ignorant…. Do some research.

• gemmarama | Sep 16, 2010 at 10:21 am |

there’s no point; i’ve posted this exact article twice but nobody seems to pay attention. people are already completely addicted to facebook.

• FacebookBad | Sep 16, 2010 at 10:49 am |

Aggh I know! It’s so, so bad… I’m not even gonna lie, I have one, and I hate myself for it lol. Like I said, it’s not all bad, but nobody even questions what’s being done with this technology. We don’t even really know half of it. I do know quite a bit about the data collection industry, and yeah…. When a social networking site is funded by a CIA data mining/collection/application company, it SHOULD RING A FUCKING BELL IN THESE PEOPLES HEADS. lol. Ahhh this shit amazes me… “Remember, don’t research anything for yourself and definitely don’t try to make other people THINK, or your a bad person and a domestic terrorist.

• Keriminyard88 | Sep 17, 2010 at 9:47 am |

Wow, take a second and dig your panties out of your ass. Mr. Know-it-all is a bit emotional when someone makes a joke about his strong opinions.

10. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm |

also, i”m not sure is you are all familiar with “torrents” (a way to download anything you want, but its not P2P) but go to torrentz.com and search facebook. You may be shocked.

11. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 9:21 am |

• Bittorrent IS P2P! That’s kinda the whole point! /sigh

• FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 10:04 am |

NO…it isn’t a normal “p2p” setup, most people use limewire, soulseek, etc, torrents are more p2p2p2p2p2p2p2p2p2p2p, that’s the reason I made that statement. People would think its more like the well known p2p file sharing applications. Which suck. Sorry, people dont get things unless they are explained a certain way.

12. I thought that Facebook was financed by Elvis who was ordered by his spacelord to take over the web so that they could brainwash us and force us to send them all of our peanut butter & jelly!?

13. Bittorrent IS P2P! That’s kinda the whole point! /sigh

14. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm |

15. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm |

16. You’re a moron! And I’m being very polite here!

17. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 2:10 pm |

Lol, your being polite by not proving me wrong you mean?? Not sure I’m following….

18. FacebookBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 2:12 pm |

19. dont worry i know what you mean dude. please ignore the trolls.

20. Programmer | Sep 15, 2010 at 4:17 pm |

The one and only thing that made Facebook big were the “sense of trust by use of real names”. It was something like; a social community where everybody was comfortable using their real name instead of “hiding” behind a screen/nick/user name.

New decentralized social networks are being deployed as we speak, be it Diaspora, Gnu Social, Status.net and a bunch of others, main thing is you can easily set up your own. I’m observing what decisions are made and will deploy an alternative if this is fucked up aswell. Now, atleast what I see as a great disappointment about these networks is the use of OpenID, which has been corrupt since the beginning. ID companies just can let ju go around without tracking you.. hello Verisign.

21. Programmer | Sep 15, 2010 at 12:17 pm |

• Myspace was such a mess. The ability to over personalize your profile page just turned them into unsurfable loads of animated gif and uncontrollable music playing all at once… Well you know!.. I think that a lot of people were just waiting for “Facebook” to come up and give everyone the ability to start over without having to sort trough the dump that was your MySpace account.

I don’t think that the new “open” social network you named and others will ever be attractive to the common surfer. Geeks love them but I doubt it would go any further than that just like so many other Gnu, open anything out there, no matter how great it is it’s just not as user friendly.

Also, if your friends aren’t on it you really don’t have much of a reason to go from Facebook to a look a like Facebook. IMO the Facebook killer is still very far away.

22. Myspace was such a mess. The ability to over personalize your profile page just turned them into unsurfable loads of animated gif and uncontrollable music playing all at once… Well you know!.. I think that a lot of people were just waiting for “Facebook” to come up and give everyone the ability to start over without having to sort trough the dump that was your MySpace account.

23. Anonymous | Sep 15, 2010 at 10:38 pm |

Facebook, its all about me, me, me!

24. GoodDoktorBad | Sep 15, 2010 at 6:38 pm |

Facebook, its all about me, me, me!

25. FacebookBad | Sep 16, 2010 at 1:19 pm |