‘Halo’ Is Bigger Business Than Any Movie

Halo-_Reach_box_artSo what would you rather spend your money on: an amazing game that you can spend tens or hundreds of hours playing, or a two-hour movie that you have to travel to and get ripped off on ridiculously overpriced popcorn and soda? No prizes for the correct answer…  From The Atlantic:

Microsoft has announced that the fourth installment of their space-themed first-person shooter franchise, Halo: Reach, has netted $200 million dollars in sales in only one day of release. To put that massive number in perspective, it beats out the opening day numbers of any Hollywood blockbuster ever, and it far outpaces this year’s opening weekend numbers of Iron Man 2 ($128 million) and Alice in Wonderland ($116 million). Still, Bungie and Microsoft were certainly hoping that the title would unseat the current gaming record-holder Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 which brought in $310 million when it was released last year.

[continues in The Atlantic]

, , , ,

21 Responses to ‘Halo’ Is Bigger Business Than Any Movie

1. Vox Penii September 17, 2010 at 2:51 pm #

“So what would you rather spend your money on: an amazing game that you can spend tens or hundreds of hours playing, or a two-hour movie that you have to travel to and get ripped off on ridiculously overpriced popcorn and soda? ”

Talk about a loaded question. Let’s try it from a different angle:

“So what would you rather spend your money on: an overpriced computer program that attempts to deliberately activate addiction centers in the human brain and that increases isolation and social withdrawal, or travel to a cinema where you and like-minded people can share a collective artistic-social experience that engages your sense of wonder. No prizes for the correct answer.”

2. Rufus September 17, 2010 at 12:24 pm #

Once again Vox Penii proves that he is a moron. When was the last time you went to a movie and had the experience you are claiming? Everytime I go, I get to sit with people who cant control their noisy ill behaved children and won’t stop texting during the movie. And no one calls it the Cinema anymore grandpa.

• Oknotko September 18, 2010 at 6:06 am #

I must be well out of touch too, I call it the cinema. What do you call it then?

• $927230 October 18, 2010 at 1:36 pm #

The fun-plex!

3. Rufus September 17, 2010 at 4:24 pm #

4. gemmarama September 17, 2010 at 12:30 pm #

i call it cinema rufus, but then i’ve got an honours degree in film studies.

stop frequenting multiplexes and try visiting your local art-house theatre instead. then you might call it cinema too.

• Rufus September 17, 2010 at 3:42 pm #

They have all been demolished in my area. The mouth breathers have spoken and art is dead. All they want is explosions and fart jokes. I wasn’t ripping on “cinema” anyway genius. I was commenting on how Vox Penis is out of touch.

• Jeremy Kimber September 19, 2010 at 4:40 pm #

Don’t worry, Rufus. we can all tell how much more rational you are.

/sarcasm

5. gemmarama September 17, 2010 at 4:30 pm #

i call it cinema rufus, but then i’ve got an honours degree in film studies.

6. Rufus September 17, 2010 at 7:42 pm #

7. Borgar September 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm #

“.. an overpriced computer program that attempts to deliberately activate addiction centers in the human brain”

Yeah, that’s pretty fucked up, although personally I’m less worried about the addictiveness than the equally intended acclimatizing toward modern warfare. Besides lowering gamers “trigger-threshold” and resistance against drafting, many of these wargames are pure propaganda, which is why they are often sponsored by the military-industrial complex.

8. Borgar September 17, 2010 at 11:29 pm #

9. DeepCough September 18, 2010 at 12:12 am #

Halo is the Star Wars of the video game world.

10. DeepCough September 18, 2010 at 4:12 am #

Halo is the Star Wars of the video game world.

11. Oknotko September 18, 2010 at 10:06 am #

12. damg September 18, 2010 at 8:10 am #

The CCA is showing some great stuff soon, Gemma.
    I also saw ‘El Topo’ there a few months ago which was something really special (Jodorowsky on the big(ish) screen!!)

13. damg September 18, 2010 at 12:10 pm #

The CCA is showing some great stuff soon, Gemma.

14. Jeremy Kimber September 19, 2010 at 8:40 pm #

Don’t worry, Rufus. we can all tell how much more rational you are.

/sarcasm