Man Pens 2,000-Page Suicide Note, Kills Himself

Mitchell_Heisman200A Massachusetts man shot himself to death with a silver bullet in Harvard Yard after penning what may go down as one of history’s great suicide notes, published online at SuicideNote.info. The New York Post reports:

New York native shot himself to death in Harvard Yard last week — after penning an epic 1,905-page suicide note.

Mitchell Heisman, 35, quoted Thomas Jefferson, Friedrich Nietzsche and Albert Einstein as he attempted to explain his motives in the rambling missive, which included a lengthy preface and 1,433 footnotes.
Heisman put the encyclopedia-sized note online and asked that the Web page be kept up after his death, so that everyone could know his feelings about life and the universe.

“I propose opening your mind towards the liberation of death; towards exposing the blind faith in life as a myth, a bias, and an error,” he wrote.

The massive document contains little information about his life, but includes many long passages touching on issues such as Jesus, the Battle of Hastings in 1066, sociology and the First Amendment.

“If my hypothesis is correct, this work will be repressed,” he surmised on the first page.

The note ends with a 19-page list of sources and the comment “What good suicide note would be complete without a bibliography?”

Heisman, who lived in Somerville, Mass., graduated from the University of Albany with a BA in psychology. He worked in several Boston-area bookstores and was able to work on his farewell note thanks to an inheritance from his father, an engineer who died when Heisman was 12

, ,

69 Responses to Man Pens 2,000-Page Suicide Note, Kills Himself

1. Vox Penii September 28, 2010 at 5:49 pm #

well, if he was a werewolf the silver bullet’s the only way to go…

2. gil September 28, 2010 at 2:18 pm #

TL;DR.

• gil September 28, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

I must add that I’ve read a couple of pages (the last ones) and I think I completely understand where he’s coming from and have reached pretty much the same conclusions as him. I’ve often thought and concluded that the only rational thing for us to do as a species is to just let ourselves die out a natural and peaceful death. That seems to me to be the only supremely rational thing to be done. But I’ve been choosing to stay for the ride. I’ll die either way, so… meh. =)

But still, I’m kind of hoping he encoded some secret message into all this. Maybe it’s connected with the mistakes he made while writing it. Maybe they were all on purpose.

Maybe he knows something we don’t.

• Stevie Greenwald September 29, 2010 at 11:52 am #

I highly encourage you to act on these rational beliefs.

3. gil September 28, 2010 at 6:18 pm #

TL;DR.

4. Alternative Now September 28, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

Just the table of contents alone is pretty damn epic. Not that I agree with what he’s done, but wow, he sure put some effort into putting his point across with all that.

5. RaoPhoenix September 28, 2010 at 6:55 pm #

6. Hamsanath437 September 28, 2010 at 4:43 pm #

unbelievably contrived. maybe they can save money and use the stack of paper as a headstone

• gil September 28, 2010 at 5:09 pm #

It could be perceived as contrived, yes. So could we. I think that might be a part of what he was trying to say.

Anyway, I just replied because I’m not appreciative of people using the word “contrived” almost as a synonym of “untrue” or “unworthy of our attention”. Think “conspiracy theory”. Same thing. Contrived as it may be (or “as it may be perceived”, which I think is more correct), it’s possible it’s not fundamentally untrue.

Also, I’ve been told that I have contrived beliefs, so there’s that.

• GoodDoktorBad September 28, 2010 at 5:47 pm #

Little if anything is original, all is contrived with the pieces of what came before -as is your callous sarcasm……and this reply to it…..

Smoooooches!

• Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 5:35 pm #

I think it’s time for you to contrive something and shuffle off…

7. Hamsanath437 September 28, 2010 at 8:43 pm #

8. gil September 28, 2010 at 9:00 pm #

Maybe he knows something we don’t.

9. gil September 28, 2010 at 9:09 pm #

Also, I’ve been told that I have contrived beliefs, so there’s that.

10. Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 9:47 pm #

Smoooooches!

11. Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 9:53 pm #

I suppose your kryptonite would be spermacide. Ask your local pharmacist for a free “quote”.

12. oman28 September 28, 2010 at 7:47 pm #

Blah blah blah bang

• CitizenJape September 29, 2010 at 1:31 pm #

He sure predicted people like you, didn’t he? Really nice point by point dissection, idiot.

• oman28 September 29, 2010 at 8:28 pm #

The fact that he had to kill himself (with a silver bullet no less) in order for his “work” to have any importance or to be given any attention makes him the idiot to me.

My comment was intended to reflect the disrespect I have for his note, which is far outweighed by his disrespect for life Suicide is a selfish and cowardly act when you consider the pain and suffering felt by loved ones left behind.

I think of the many thousands of humans who live lives of suffering but choose to gain strength and resolve from it. How much did this college educated white american suffer?
        Read it if you want, kill yourself if you want but don’t get pissed off if not everyone feels sympathy.

• CitizenJape September 29, 2010 at 10:07 pm #

Again, I am stunned by your idiocy; it isn’t about suffering. Although, I would bet a silver bullet you haven’t even read it or, for that matter, could understand it.

• oman28 September 29, 2010 at 11:09 pm #

Of course I haven’t read it. Duh! That was my point. I PERSONALLY have no interest in it. I’m happy that his death has benifitted you and have read it and got so much from it though.
            Just don’t be so naive as to believe that everyone will think the same as you and so childish as to attack those that don’t

• Vox Penii September 30, 2010 at 10:55 am #

Repressed homosexuality is a sign of Marxist contamination.

• necropsychronautron September 30, 2010 at 8:08 am #

Blah blah blah. All a bit cliche don’t you think?
          Respect for life?
          Were supposed to be taking lessons on respect for life from someone childishly mocking a suicide?
          It’s not a tragedy he killed himself. It’s a tragedy smug self-important assholes like you live.

• oman28 September 30, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

Yes. The cliche was fully intended.
            No you are not supposed to be taking any lessons from my comments. Where the fuck did you get that idea?
            And verbal abuse? Thanks for revealing your level of intelligence. Don’t be so fragile. Have a cup of concrete – it might harden you up a bit

13. Anonymous September 28, 2010 at 11:47 pm #

Blah blah blah bang

14. Malkere September 28, 2010 at 7:56 pm #

why would I be interested in reading the ramblings of anyone stupid enough to kill themselves prematurely.
    in box a you can: live for some undetermined period full of endless potential.
    in box b you can: die and be useless to any and all causes.
    at least try and read a few books on the afterlife or take some classes on physics before you ramble about dead philosophers as if they were the end all in the argument =/

• E.B. Wolf September 28, 2010 at 8:54 pm #

Because, in spite of what one may feel about the act of suicide itself, there have been many brilliant people who have made the choice to take their own lives.
      I’m not saying this is or is not the situation in Mr. Heisman’s case, as I have not yet read his work.
      But, by the logic of your post, you also shouldn’t bother to read the works of “stupid” people such as Ernest Hemingway, Robert E. Howard, Ryunosuke Astutagawa, or Hunter S. Thompson.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Writers_who_committed_suicide for a more thorough list of ramblings to avoid.

• Andrew September 29, 2010 at 11:43 am #

So life is always sacred and everyone has something to contribute, but if someone writes a book and then kills themselves neither they or nor anything they did has any worth?

• Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 5:33 pm #

Mr. Heisman says volumes more than Hemingway: he had the vocabulary and syntax any reader of USA Today could handle….but because he was Hemingway, ordained in the Western Canon, what he wrote is somehow important and worthy, whereas, Mr. Heisman’s suicide novel is *not* the act of artifice we call “prose” nor a contrived bid to break into publishing, but a pure work of a very human psyche.

• Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm #

I think he was an intellectual who came to the same conclusions many other philosophers and great thinkers have: we basically suck due to our inability to harness our minds and emotions for the successful continuation of life on earth. Hell is other people, ergo, to escape hell one must either turn to homicide or suicide. Personally, I believe it’s only good planning to keep a lethal dose of phenobarbitol on hand for the time when you know it’s time to go. These days, you have to do *everything* yourself….

• gemmarama September 30, 2010 at 8:58 am #

yeah but heaven is other people too…

15. Malkere September 28, 2010 at 11:56 pm #

in box a you can: live for some undetermined period full of endless potential.
    in box b you can: die and be useless to any and all causes.

16. E.B. Wolf September 29, 2010 at 12:54 am #

17. Andrew September 29, 2010 at 3:43 pm #

18. Stevie Greenwald September 29, 2010 at 3:52 pm #

I highly encourage you to act on these rational beliefs.

19. Anonymous September 29, 2010 at 5:31 pm #

20. VoxMagi September 29, 2010 at 2:24 pm #

Given that I was freely able to read the material and discuss it openly in the forum of my choosing”

Liberal Democracy: FTW!

Angry Right Faux Intellectualism: an hero.

21. VoxMagi September 29, 2010 at 6:24 pm #

Liberal Democracy: FTW!

Angry Right Faux Intellectualism: an hero.

22. Al September 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm #

kill the ego, then true liberation is found

23. Al September 29, 2010 at 7:13 pm #

kill the ego, then true liberation is found

24. kug khhk bbvbkb September 29, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

nothing beats love, because love kills you in the only way it matters.

25. kug khhk bbvbkb September 29, 2010 at 7:58 pm #

nothing beats love, because love kills you in the only way it matters.

26. Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 9:23 pm #

27. Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 9:33 pm #

28. Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 9:35 pm #

I think it’s time for you to contrive something and shuffle off…

29. Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 9:44 pm #

Have any of you found yourselves seriously considering suicide? As a crisis of one’s philosophical integrity? Not as a maudlin bid for sympathy, but as an intellectually derived understanding of what one’s place is in the Universe? It’s not a momentary snot-fest. If more existentialists took their philosophy seriously rather than their celebrity, they’d have done the same thing: Mr. Heisman makes Sartre look like a whiner.

30. gogogo September 29, 2010 at 11:43 pm #

At least he used spellcheck..

31. gogogo September 29, 2010 at 7:43 pm #

At least he used spellcheck..

32. Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 12:28 am #

33. Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 2:07 am #

34. Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 3:09 am #

35. Marilynluca September 30, 2010 at 4:02 am #

OMG> Who cares?

36. Marilynluca September 30, 2010 at 12:02 am #

OMG> Who cares?

37. Blackoutdustin September 30, 2010 at 4:13 am #

fuck him, he got a free ride and he wasted it.

it’s dog-ism. he couldn’t eat it, couldn’t fuck it, so he pissed on it.

looks like he didn’t have any kids though, so good for him for not ruining it more for the rest of us.

but hey, a lot of people think the world owes them something (especially people that have been given everything), and when they find out it ain’t so…crisis.

why can’t people just BE, instead of having to BE something?

38. Blackoutdustin September 30, 2010 at 12:13 am #

fuck him, he got a free ride and he wasted it.

it’s dog-ism. he couldn’t eat it, couldn’t fuck it, so he pissed on it.

why can’t people just BE, instead of having to BE something?

39. Robertsea September 30, 2010 at 4:33 am #

I would like to read it because I am courious. To try and describe him in terms relative to us normal people is irrelavant and in a way ego-centric on our part. That is where I am intrigued with this behavour – what makes people like him tick; what makes the mechanism break? But that’s just me.

40. Robertsea September 30, 2010 at 12:33 am #

41. Anonymous September 30, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

Blah blah blah. All a bit cliche don’t you think?
    Respect for life?

42. gemmarama September 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm #

yeah but heaven is other people too…

43. gemmarama September 30, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

suicide as a means of proving how clever you are? that’s a new one to me…

44. Vox Penii September 30, 2010 at 2:55 pm #

Repressed homosexuality is a sign of Marxist contamination.

45. Derek C. F. Pegritz September 30, 2010 at 6:36 pm #

A new SubGenius Saint has been…uhhh, born? Reborn? Unborn?

46. Derek C. F. Pegritz September 30, 2010 at 10:36 pm #

A new SubGenius Saint has been…uhhh, born? Reborn? Unborn?

47. Anonymous October 1, 2010 at 12:25 am #

Yes. The cliche was fully intended.

48. Erika Whiteway December 27, 2010 at 9:10 am #

No, cleverness has nothing to do with it; if the only thing keeping a person who is truly unable cope with life from suicide is a bit of catechism or other dogma that has no personal meaning or relevance, or isn’t even understood, I mean if The Meaning of Life as expressed by the beings and documents that person has chosen to use as constructs for their reality and they fail their purpose–that isn’t being clever, it’s the same as a terminally ill person opting for suicide. Misery is misery, relief is relief.

49. GoodDoktorBad September 28, 2010 at 5:53 pm #

50. Erika Whiteway September 29, 2010 at 5:44 pm #

51. gemmarama September 30, 2010 at 9:01 am #

suicide as a means of proving how clever you are? that’s a new one to me…

52. Erika Whiteway December 27, 2010 at 5:10 am #