McDonald’s Food Is Immortal!

Photographer Sally Davies has stirred up a lot of interest in the weird science that goes into making McDonald’s “food” resistant to decay. She has an amazing series of photos at her flickr site where you can see daily progress, or lack thereof, of an ageing McDonald’s Happy Meal (example below).

Photo: (c) Sally Davies (www.sallydaviesphoto.com)

Photo: (c) Sally Davies (www.sallydaviesphoto.com)

According to New York Magazine’s Grub Street blog, Davies plans to keep the experiment going “until something happens, but she’d better be ready for a long haul: A twelve-year-old McD’s burger surfaced a few years ago looking shockingly well-preserved”!

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

21 Comments on "McDonald’s Food Is Immortal!"

1. Anonymous | Sep 20, 2010 at 2:24 pm |

It’s not food

2. It’s not food

• MeatBurgler | Sep 20, 2010 at 10:37 am |

Damn right…. And I still eat it sometimes… Just get a craving for premature death and the taste of fecesbeef. Mmmm.

3. MeatBurgler | Sep 20, 2010 at 2:37 pm |

4. Anonymous | Sep 20, 2010 at 3:32 pm |

Wow. That must be some pretty vile sh*t if bacteria won’t even eat the stuff. It’d put you in mind of that poem:

JUDGED BY THE COMPANY ONE KEEPS

Anonymous

One night in late October,
    When I was far from sober,
    Returning with my load with manly pride,
    My feet began to stutter
    So I lay down in the gutter
    And a pig came near and lay down by my side.
    A lady passing by was heard to say:
    “You can tell a man who boozes
    By the company he chooses,”
    And the pig got up, and slowly walked away

5. Liam_McGonagle | Sep 20, 2010 at 11:32 am |

JUDGED BY THE COMPANY ONE KEEPS

Anonymous

One night in late October,
    When I was far from sober,
    Returning with my load with manly pride,
    My feet began to stutter
    So I lay down in the gutter
    And a pig came near and lay down by my side.
    A lady passing by was heard to say:
    “You can tell a man who boozes
    By the company he chooses,”
    And the pig got up, and slowly walked away

6. Anonymous | Sep 20, 2010 at 4:52 pm |

Sterile is the term, not immortal. It’s clearly devoid of life.

7. Tchoutoye | Sep 20, 2010 at 12:52 pm |

Sterile is the term, not immortal. It’s clearly devoid of life.

8. A Bad Joke | Sep 20, 2010 at 7:05 pm |

Are we cursed to see this every 2 weeks?

9. A Bad Joke | Sep 20, 2010 at 3:05 pm |

Are we cursed to see this every 2 weeks?

• Yes, until some mold finally shows up on the Happy Meal 😉

Actually, sorry, I didn’t know that someone had already posted a story about this to disinfo.com — but it does illustrate that there has been absolutely no change to the “food” in the interim!

• Liam_McGonagle | Sep 20, 2010 at 5:54 pm |

On the other hand this definitely constitutes proof that there is no left wing conspiracy on Disinformation. If they don’t even coordinate to the extent to make sure there are no duplicate postings, there can hardly be a sinister hierarchy of ruthless propoganda agents behind it!

Or is this just another plant in order to lull me into taking my guard down? . . . .

10. Yes, until some mold finally shows up on the Happy Meal 😉

11. Anonymous | Sep 20, 2010 at 9:54 pm |

12. Ironaddict06 | Sep 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm |

Lets look at this in a positive light. Say there is another terroist attack, that knocks out electricity for a couple of months. You can load up on Happy Meals that will last months, for you to eat.

13. Ironaddict06 | Sep 21, 2010 at 10:45 am |

14. Cerebralcaustic | Nov 16, 2010 at 4:27 pm |

Guess what, haters? Tests show that homemade burgers don’t rot either:

Science FTW!

15. Anonymous | Jan 4, 2011 at 11:01 pm |

Yummy! That looks like a good old fashion US Navy slider!
    Went to war on food that looks like that….
    One of the primary reasons we won in order to get the hell home for some real cook’n

16. Yummy! That looks like a good old fashion US Navy slider!
    Went to war on food that looks like that….

17. Tabbykangaroo | Jan 9, 2011 at 3:25 am |

Who cares if it rots or not ?
    You should know it will do nothing but make you FAT.

18. Tabbykangaroo | Jan 8, 2011 at 11:25 pm |

Who cares if it rots or not ?
    You should know it will do nothing but make you FAT.