British Intelligence Used “Bodily Fluids” as Invisible Ink

James BondIn case you missed this one, brings a whole new light to “Bond, James Bond” … Note the name of the person of charge of this operation in the article below. Via the Telegraph:

A diary entry belonging to a senior member of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) has revealed that during the First World War it was discovered that the bodily fluid could act as an effective invisible ink.

In June 1915, Walter Kirke, deputy head of military intelligence at GHQ France, wrote in his diary that Mansfield Cumming, the first chief (or C) of the SIS was “making enquiries for invisible inks at the London University”.

In October he noted that he “heard from C that the best invisible ink is semen”, which did not react to the main methods of detection. Furthermore it had the advantage of being readily available.

A member of staff close to “C”, Frank Stagg, said that he would never forget his bosses’ delight when the Deputy Chief Censor said one day that one of his staff had found out that “semen would not react to iodine vapour”.

Stagg noted that “we thought we had solved a great problem”. However, the discovery also led to some further problems, with the agent who had identified the novel use having to be moved from his department after becoming the butt of jokes.

Read More in the Telegraph

, , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to British Intelligence Used “Bodily Fluids” as Invisible Ink

1. 009 October 12, 2010 at 4:43 am #

In one of the books, invisible ink is mentioned, and is said to come “from a very personal source.” So this doesn’t surprise me. I was thinking urine, but whatever works :)

2. 009 October 12, 2010 at 8:43 am #

3. Gregory October 12, 2010 at 7:49 am #

Q: Now stop touching yourself and pay attention 007.
    Bond: Of corse Q, please continyew.
    Q: Now this is a special catheter. You insert it, like so.
    Bond: That looks like it moy hurt.
    Q: Oh don’t be so squeamish, and don’t act innocent, we all know you like this sort of thing.
    Bond: What’s th poynt of ushing a catheter in the field, Q?
    Q: Well, 007, you’re going to use your urine as invisible ink.
    Bond: Yewv’e got to be jhoking.
    Q: I never joke. See, you use the nib on the end and then you write. Now be sure to drink plenty of cranberry juice before you know you need to use it.
    Bond: I think I’ll borrow this tonite, I’m going oot with Moneypenny.
    Q: You’ll be issued it just before you leave for Marrakesh, 007. Now, the catheter tube can double as a choking device.
    Bond: Very intershesting. She’s into that too.
    Q: Do pay attention. Now, this is a dildo that leaves a tracking device in someone’s lower colon…

4. Gregory October 12, 2010 at 11:49 am #

Q: Now stop touching yourself and pay attention 007.
    Bond: Of corse Q, please continyew.
    Q: Now this is a special catheter. You insert it, like so.
    Bond: That looks like it moy hurt.
    Bond: What’s th poynt of ushing a catheter in the field, Q?
    Q: Well, 007, you’re going to use your urine as invisible ink.
    Bond: Yewv’e got to be jhoking.
    Bond: I think I’ll borrow this tonite, I’m going oot with Moneypenny.
    Bond: Very intershesting. She’s into that too.

5. APAT October 12, 2010 at 3:01 pm #

Interesting. There’s something very similar to this in Gravity’s Rainbow, which I assumed was a joke. Nice one Pynchon.

6. APAT October 12, 2010 at 7:01 pm #