Cell Phone Time Traveler In Charlie Chaplin Film?

With the DVD release of Charlie Chaplin’s 1928 film The Circus, people have noticed a puzzling detail: a woman passing through the background of this scene appears to be speaking on a cell phone. Could she be a time traveler? The whole thing is even more unsettling than Chaplin’s toothbrush mustache.

28 Comments on "Cell Phone Time Traveler In Charlie Chaplin Film?"

1. Stevenbeall | Oct 27, 2010 at 7:08 pm |

wtf

2. Stevenbeall | Oct 27, 2010 at 3:08 pm |

wtf

3. if time traveler A brought a cell phone with her, do you think she would be able to roll over her minutes or you think she lost access to her Fave 5?

4. if time traveler A brought a cell phone with her, do you think she would be able to roll over her minutes or you think she lost access to her Fave 5?

• teressa81 | Oct 27, 2010 at 10:23 pm |

There is not enough “Like” in the world for this comment!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

5. Where would this person get cell phone service in a time when there is none? Did anyone reason the title of this subject?

6. Where would this person get cell phone service in a time when there is none? Did anyone reason the title of this subject?

• Well OBVIOUSLY it’s a cell phone from the future that works irregardless of distance in time-space. They have time travel machines, so why would their service be limited like ours? I bet they don’t even have contracts.

And by “obviously” I mean “I just pulled this out of my ass.”

7. Well OBVIOUSLY it’s a cell phone from the future that works irregardless of distance in time-space. They have time travel machines, so why would their service be limited like ours? I bet they don’t even have contracts.

And by “obviously” I mean “I just pulled this out of my ass.”

8. Truckloadbear | Oct 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm |

Obviously it’s a Farnsworth.
    Sheesh.

9. Truckloadbear | Oct 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm |

Obviously it’s a Farnsworth.
    Sheesh.

10. And that guy walking ahead of her…is that…yes it is! E. Howard Hunt!

11. And that guy walking ahead of her…is that…yes it is! E. Howard Hunt!

12. Anonymous | Oct 27, 2010 at 11:39 pm |

By the way, I can lip read and he is quite clearly saying “Doc Doc, I’ve lost the delorean”

13. Ya gotta love these time travellers. Intelligent enough to break the bonds of time but so stupid that they go and use their mobiles while being filmed as movie extras.

14. No, no, no… Clearly she’s a Time Lord. Maybe it’s Mary Poppins. Did you hear she was a Time Lord?

15. wow is that a lady? check out this size 13 shoes.

16. wow is that a lady? check out this size 13 shoes.

17. Quirkytizzy | Oct 28, 2010 at 2:23 am |

There is not enough “Like” in the world for this comment!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

18. BlueSkyHunter1 | Oct 28, 2010 at 2:33 am |

Snarky comments aside, it does look like this person is holding and speaking into something that looks remarkably like a mobile phone. Now, could it be a crazy person talking to a chocolate bar? Sure. But it is an interesting little find.

19. BlueSkyHunter1 | Oct 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm |

20. Of course, if one had the tech for time travel, one would also have the tech for cell phone communication with those back at home in the future or past, depending on which direction in time you were able to travel.

21. Of course, if one had the tech for time travel, one would also have the tech for cell phone communication with those back at home in the future or past, depending on which direction in time you were able to travel.

22. J Ackley777 | Oct 28, 2010 at 6:57 am |

She doesn’t even have anything in her hand. Disinfo, I am truly disappointed in you for posting something so mind bogglingly stupid.

23. J Ackley777 | Oct 28, 2010 at 2:57 am |

24. I always take my phone when I go back in time, stupid not to really. My time machine works by containing and manipulating a black hole, the same black hole I use for cooking breakfast and sending cell phone signals through distorted space time. U kan du anyfing wiv syance.

25. I always take my phone when I go back in time, stupid not to really. My time machine works by containing and manipulating a black hole, the same black hole I use for cooking breakfast and sending cell phone signals through distorted space time. U kan du anyfing wiv syance.