ptolemiac-systemI was confident that this had to be satire, yet somehow, it’s real: one month from now will herald Galileo Was Wrong: The First Annual Catholic Conference on Geocentrism. A panel of Christian “experts” will be convening in South Bend, Indiana to discuss and promote Geocentrism — the theory that Earth, not the sun, is the center of our solar system (and the entire universe to boot).

Get ready to hop on the Geocentrism bandwagon. Conference admission is $50, including complementary lunch.

Geocentrism [is] the academic belief that the Earth is immobile in the center of the universe…garnering scientific information from physics, astrophysics, astronomy and other sciences. Scientific evidence available to us within the last 100 years that was not available during Galileo’s confrontation shows that the Church’s position on the immobility of the Earth is not only scientifically supportable, but it is the most stable model of the universe and the one which best answers all the evidence we see in the cosmos.

26 Comments on "Does The Sun Revolve Around The Earth? Presenting The Inaugural Geocentrism Conference"

1. South Bend, Indiana is hosting this? Hot damn…I might gas up the truck and roll south just to watch the train wreck of bubbleheads that waddle in to mutter incoherently on this. It should be better than a trip to peopleofwalmart.com!

2. South Bend, Indiana is hosting this? Hot damn…I might gas up the truck and roll south just to watch the train wreck of bubbleheads that waddle in to mutter incoherently on this. It should be better than a trip to peopleofwalmart.com!

3. Anonymous | Oct 11, 2010 at 3:22 pm |

Follow the money–this has to be a Koch brothers thang.

4. Liam_McGonagle | Oct 11, 2010 at 11:22 am |

Follow the money–this has to be a Koch brothers thang.

5. DeepCough | Oct 11, 2010 at 4:19 pm |

Wow, and I thought the Protestants were taking us all back with their opposition to Darwin.

6. DeepCough | Oct 11, 2010 at 12:19 pm |

7. Hadrian999 | Oct 11, 2010 at 7:04 pm |

if my car wasn’t acting funny i would soooooo go to this

8. Hadrian999 | Oct 11, 2010 at 3:04 pm |

if my car wasn’t acting funny i would soooooo go to this

9. Fifty bucks for a lunch which no doubt contains saltpewter? I’m so not going, thanks. Besides, if I take a wrong turn, I could drive off the giant turtles back to my own demise.

10. Fifty bucks for a lunch which no doubt contains saltpewter? I’m so not going, thanks. Besides, if I take a wrong turn, I could drive off the giant turtles back to my own demise.

11. E.B. Wolf | Oct 11, 2010 at 7:36 pm |

The guy behind the Creationist Museum would be a likely candidate.

12. Planets…how do they work?

13. Planets…how do they work?

14. You can’t have an idea and then fit “evidence” around it. You have to look at the eveidence and then formulate an idea, which these people have clearly not done.

15. You can’t have an idea and then fit “evidence” around it. You have to look at the eveidence and then formulate an idea, which these people have clearly not done.

• people do the former all the time… it’s called ‘hypothesizing.’ the difference between these geocentric morons and real scientists is that these “geocentrists” are formulating their hypothesis (that the earth is immobile) and then selectively gathering and presenting ONLY the evidence that fits that hypothesis, and ignoring the evidence that contradicts it, much like their cousins the creationists.

16. Blackoutdustin | Oct 12, 2010 at 12:35 am |

isn’t all motion relative anyway? i myself subscribe to DustinCentrism.

17. Blackoutdustin | Oct 11, 2010 at 8:35 pm |

isn’t all motion relative anyway? i myself subscribe to DustinCentrism.

18. Simiantongue | Oct 12, 2010 at 3:59 am |

Geocentrism is laughable. It’s observably false. As far as I can see everything revolves around me.

19. Simiantongue | Oct 11, 2010 at 11:59 pm |

20. people do the former all the time… it’s called ‘hypothesizing.’ the difference between these geocentric morons and real scientists is that these “geocentrists” are formulating their hypothesis (that the earth is immobile) and then selectively gathering and presenting ONLY the evidence that fits that hypothesis, and ignoring the evidence that contradicts it, much like their cousins the creationists.

21. Have any of you actually read any of their work? You sound like the guys that scoffed at the idea of a round Earth. “Oh, yeah? So how do the Chinese keep from falling off? ‘Round Earth’. What a moron!” Instead of fecklessly attacking their intelligence, why don’t you debunk one of their arguments. Maybe they’re not as stupid as you’d like to think. All hail the conventional wisdom of establishment science!

22. Have any of you actually read any of their work? You sound like the guys that scoffed at the idea of a round Earth. “Oh, yeah? So how do the Chinese keep from falling off? ‘Round Earth’. What a moron!” Instead of fecklessly attacking their intelligence, why don’t you debunk one of their arguments. Maybe they’re not as stupid as you’d like to think. All hail the conventional wisdom of establishment science!

• Hadrian999 | Oct 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm |

geocentrism has been debunked for quite a while, why reinvent the wheel.
      but here is one just for fun, the existence of earth’s magnetic field is proof that earth isn’t the “immobile center of the universe”

23. Hadrian999 | Oct 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm |

geocentrism has been debunked for quite a while, why reinvent the wheel.