Homer Simpson Is Catholic

SimpsonsJill Serjeant reports for Reuters via Yahoo News:

“The Simpsons” just got a blessing from the Vatican.

The official Vatican newspaper has declared that beer-swilling, doughnut-loving Homer Simpson and son Bart are Catholics — and what’s more, it says that parents should not be afraid to let their children watch “the adventures of the little guys in yellow.”

“Few people know it, and he does everything to hide it. But it’s true: Homer J. Simpson is Catholic”, the Osservatore Romano newspaper said in an article on Sunday headlined “Homer and Bart are Catholics.”

The newspaper cited a study by a Jesuit priest of a 2005 episode of the show called “The Father, the Son and the Holy Guest Star”. That study concludes that “The Simpsons” is “among the few TV programs for kids in which Christian faith, religion and questions about God are recurrent themes.”

[continues at Reuters via Yahoo News]

22 Comments on "Homer Simpson Is Catholic"

1. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 1:46 pm |

Boy, I REALLY take Catholicism seriously now….

2. GoodDoktorBad | Oct 20, 2010 at 9:46 am |

Boy, I REALLY take Catholicism seriously now….

3. DeepCough | Oct 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm |

Well, at least it’s better than break-dancing.

4. DeepCough | Oct 20, 2010 at 10:09 am |

Well, at least it’s better than break-dancing.

5. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 2:15 pm |

And what will the ‘presbylutheran’ Reverend Lovejoy think

6. This has got to become an episode. I can just see the Simpsons in the Vatican City.
    And what will the ‘presbylutheran’ Reverend Lovejoy think

7. I have a cartoon character, Little Jamie, who talks about things like “cartoon anti aging hormones” and “the Looney Tunes hegemony” on Facebook. Being a friend of most of the people who portray themselves as Simpsons characters on Facebook, I’ve found a disproportionate number of the users have Bart, Homer, Marge, etc. listed as Catholic. Oddly enough I was just looking into that when I saw this tweet from DisInfo. Thanks guys

8. I have a cartoon character, Little Jamie, who talks about things like “cartoon anti aging hormones” and “the Looney Tunes hegemony” on Facebook. Being a friend of most of the people who portray themselves as Simpsons characters on Facebook, I’ve found a disproportionate number of the users have Bart, Homer, Marge, etc. listed as Catholic. Oddly enough I was just looking into that when I saw this tweet from DisInfo. Thanks guys

9. Psychognosis | Oct 20, 2010 at 4:55 pm |

The Vatican only declared them Catholic because the show involves a young boy that never ages. Eat my shorts indeed.

10. Psychognosis | Oct 20, 2010 at 12:55 pm |

11. Moneygrubbing AIDS promoting pederasts they may be, but at least they aren’t creationists.

12. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 7:47 pm |

Well, on one hand, this shows that Holy Mother Church is catching up with the times. They only missed this programme’s peak popularity by about 20 years, compared with the 400 year lag-time they have on most other issues.

13. Liam_McGonagle | Oct 20, 2010 at 3:47 pm |

14. QuietPerson | Oct 20, 2010 at 9:15 pm |

I think there actually was an episode in which Bart and Homer joined the Church. I don’t remember the episode number, but I do remember the basic idea of the story minus a few details. Bart had been in full-on Bad Bart mode and done something (I forget what). Marge and Homer couldn’t find a school that would take Bart except a Catholic school…I think?…though I also seem to remember this being decidedly _not_ cool with Marge. Didn’t she and Lovejoy even try to abduct Bart or something? As I said, details are hazy, but I’m sure I remember having seen an episode in which some but not all of the Simpsons converted to Catholicism, and Bart has a great rant at the end. Even the Simpsons handled that situation better than a lot of families make it through real life, though it’s often a little nuttier in real life.

15. QuietPerson | Oct 20, 2010 at 5:15 pm |

16. Anonymous | Oct 21, 2010 at 5:33 am |

The Simpsons. Is there anything they can’t do?

17. The Simpsons. Is there anything they can’t do?

18. Anonymous | Oct 21, 2010 at 2:58 pm |

Not creationists? Say WHAT?

19. Hadrian999 | Oct 21, 2010 at 4:43 pm |

maybe not strictly true, the catholic church does seem to be against the catholic does seem to be against
    teaching intelligent design in school,