Senate Candidate O’Donnell Unfamiliar With First Amendment

New York Magazine notes an interesting debate exchange between Delaware Republican candidate for Senate Christine O’Donnell and her opponent Chris Coons: “Where in the Constitution is the separation of church and state?” The situation is laden with irony, of course, as O’Donnell was a “Constitutional Government fellow” at the conservative Claremont Institute. This is a pretty good indication of the level of constitutional knowledge in the Tea Bagger movement.

30 Comments on "Senate Candidate O’Donnell Unfamiliar With First Amendment"

1. emperorreagan | Oct 19, 2010 at 9:00 pm |

I thought Sarah Palin was one of the most ignorant candidates to ever run for national public office.

Christine O’Donnell makes her look like a political science professor at an Ivy League school.

2. emperorreagan | Oct 19, 2010 at 5:00 pm |

• myth_slayer | Oct 20, 2010 at 1:38 pm |

I suspec the R-Cons are using the “Twat Strategy” (although no vulgarity is intended, it best describes their tactics): find the most ignorant, stupid and offensive females possible and work as if there are still enough stupid twats out there (as in female Ameritards) who will give them a free pass no matter what simply because they are female.

Hopefully (and I stress “hopefully”) there are enough female American voters out there with minimum critical thinking skills when they go to vote.

Hopefully…..

• I understand the point you’re trying to make, but as an educated, free-thinking American female, I’m a little offended by your comment. There are just as many ignorant men voting for these women, often because they find them physically attractive. Sexism is part of the problem; don’t contribute to it.

3. Anonymous | Oct 19, 2010 at 10:17 pm |

This is what our nation has become….illiterate, ignorant, morons running our Gov. while we stand by and laugh and do nothing?
    I can see her with Palin, Pelosi and Hillary…eating a $4000.00 lunch and laughing at how stupid the American people are while drinking virgins blood mixed with vodka.
    Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse!!!!!!!

4. manitoidman | Oct 19, 2010 at 6:17 pm |

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse!!!!!!!

5. Is there ANY chance that the whole Tea Party movement is a Discordian plot to make the Right look beyond terrible? C’mon, you can tell me, I’ll keep quiet about it. Palin and O’Donnell are really die-hard liberals playing parts in a performance art piece, right?

Please?

6. Is there ANY chance that the whole Tea Party movement is a Discordian plot to make the Right look beyond terrible? C’mon, you can tell me, I’ll keep quiet about it. Palin and O’Donnell are really die-hard liberals playing parts in a performance art piece, right?

Please?

• dumbsaint | Oct 19, 2010 at 7:33 pm |

I’ve said it before but I’ve been convinced that Sarah Palin is Andy Kaufman in drag for a while now.

• manitoidman | Oct 19, 2010 at 8:35 pm |

I know you don’t like me….but, good observation

• dumbsaint | Oct 20, 2010 at 1:09 am |

Why don’t I like you? Either way mate it’s only the internet; don’t invest a great amount of stock in whatever I said.

• I have to say this seems like a very likely explanation; it makes sense to me anyway…

• Liam_McGonagle | Oct 20, 2010 at 2:22 pm |

Sorry to disabuse you of that comfortable phantasy. Not living in New York or San Francisco, and being unfortunately related to a wolf pack of them, I assure you that they are every bit as real, stupid, dangerous and racist as they appear.

7. Anonymous | Oct 19, 2010 at 11:33 pm |

8. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 12:35 am |

I know you don’t like me….but, good observation

9. Well, the phrase ‘separation of church and state’ is not IN the constitution at all. The 1st Am of the Bill of Rights says that ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”. These are not mutually inclusive ideas … the Judiciary could easily use religion as a lense to focus their interpretation through without violating the Constitution, as it is not law but precedence, while wholeheartedly violating the idea of a ‘wall of separation between church and state’ as set forth in the letters of T Jeff in 1802. So laugh all you want as the “Constitutional Fellow” trying to bait her adversary for a non-existant phase, BUT at the same time discredit the audience that probably thinks the phrase ‘Separation of Church and State’ exists in law, and not only in precedent.

10. Well, the phrase ‘separation of church and state’ is not IN the constitution at all. The 1st Am of the Bill of Rights says that ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”. These are not mutually inclusive ideas … the Judiciary could easily use religion as a lense to focus their interpretation through without violating the Constitution, as it is not law but precedence, while wholeheartedly violating the idea of a ‘wall of separation between church and state’ as set forth in the letters of T Jeff in 1802. So laugh all you want as the “Constitutional Fellow” trying to bait her adversary for a non-existant phase, BUT at the same time discredit the audience that probably thinks the phrase ‘Separation of Church and State’ exists in law, and not only in precedent.

• myth_slayer | Oct 20, 2010 at 1:35 pm |

Neither does the term douchebag appear in your comment, but it is obviousl that you should have signed comment with that description.
      If the prhaseology denotes separation of church and state, then it does indeed appear in the Constitution.
      Cripes, you’re an idiot.

11. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 5:09 am |

12. I have to say this seems like a very likely explanation; it makes sense to me anyway…

13. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 4:15 pm |

I heard that she’d done some research about it on the internet, but misspelling it as “Fist Amendment” she got quite the wrong impression of it, and decided that she’d already addressed it under her “Anti-Masturbation” platform.

14. Liam_McGonagle | Oct 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm |

• myth_slayer | Oct 20, 2010 at 1:39 pm |

It is obvious by this time that neither O’Donnell, Palin, Engle (and John Boehner) can find their own vaginas.
      One wonders if Carly Fiorina has one to be found?

• Liam_McGonagle | Oct 20, 2010 at 3:37 pm |

Say, that is a good point.

But I also notice just now that the banner behind her reads “Widen Her Law”. Just dripping with irony.

15. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 5:35 pm |

Cripes, you’re an idiot.

16. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 5:38 pm |

Hopefully…..

17. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 5:39 pm |

One wonders if Carly Fiorina has one to be found?

18. Liam_McGonagle | Oct 20, 2010 at 6:22 pm |

19. I understand the point you’re trying to make, but as an educated, free-thinking American female, I’m a little offended by your comment. There are just as many ignorant men voting for these women, often because they find them physically attractive. Sexism is part of the problem; don’t contribute to it.

20. Anonymous | Oct 20, 2010 at 7:37 pm |

Say, that is a good point.