Why Do Metal Bands Believe In Reptilian Aliens?

Death_Is_This_Communionio9’s Phil Freeman brings up the old chestnut of reptoid aliens secretly controlling our world, reminding me, at least, of the Montauk Project and David Icke’s Royal Family…

Why are these metal bands convinced that the world is secretly ruled by extraterrestrials called reptoids who are breeding with humans in their hidden caves?

If you believe reptoid “expert” David Icke, our planet is secretly ruled by extraterrestrials who walk on two legs, appear human, and live in tunnels and caves…when they’re not crossbreeding with humans to produce leaders like the Egyptian pharaohs, every U.S. president, and the Queen of England. Icke believes the reptoids are the same race, the Anunnaki, discussed in Babylonian creation mythology, and they are prominently featured in his books The Biggest Secret, Children of the Matrix, Tales From the Time Loop and Infinite Love is the Only Truth, all of which are sold as nonfiction.

This wouldn’t interest me in the slightest were it not for Icke’s curious popularity within the heavy metal scene. As a journalist covering metal, I’ve encountered multiple artists citing his books in their album liner notes, and/or writing songs about reptoid mythology. Here some greatest hits of reptoid rock…

[continues at io9]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

20 Comments on "Why Do Metal Bands Believe In Reptilian Aliens?"

1. Sounds like a mythic metaphor for pathocracy, rule by cold blooded individuals with no empathy.

2. Sounds like a mythic metaphor for pathocracy, rule by cold blooded individuals with no empathy.

• emperorreagan | Oct 15, 2010 at 2:26 pm |

Sounds reasonable to me. In a world where probably at least 90% of the ruling class politicians and corporate heads are psychopaths, portraying them as unfeeling, predatory reptilian creatures just seems like good use of imagery.

3. Blasphemation | Oct 15, 2010 at 4:56 pm |

I am a huge metalhead and I have never heard of this.

4. Blasphemation | Oct 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm |

I am a huge metalhead and I have never heard of this.

5. Cerebralsubversion | Oct 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm |

Easy to dimiss these things as ridiculous. Harder to come to terms with the fact that encountering reptilian overlords is a very common visionary experience and this is where the mythology comes from in the first place.

Most common thing that people see on hallucinogens – reptillian or insectile forms of intelligence. I have a friend who took DMT and encountered the classic feathered serpent quetzatcoatl figure. I frequently see the thousand eyed insectile hive mind if I take LSD or mushrooms and so do several other people I know. Ever seen the artwork of Alex Gray? You can dismiss this as hallucination, but when multiple people see the same shit, isn’t it more just a facet of human consciousness that we don’t understand. What does it mean exactly? Easy vs. difficult. People like to take easy. This stuff is “crazy” and “not real”, therefore we don’t have to think about it. Themes of reptiles throughout human mythology arising from the more shamanic spiritual practices of the past are so prevalent, it’s pretty tough to ignore. Oh, by the way, the world was overrun with reptilian dinosaurs before us. Isn’t this site repping Graham Hancock? That’s what the dude writes about, even talks about his encouter with the Serpent during Ayahuasca rituals.

Oh, David Icke is a fucking lunatic though……or is he?

6. Cerebralsubversion | Oct 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm |

Oh, David Icke is a fucking lunatic though……or is he?

• gemmarama | Oct 15, 2010 at 4:40 pm |

same with schizos man. it’s all ancient gods and reptiles. and i’ve known a fair few schizos in my time…

7. Save The World Radio | Oct 15, 2010 at 5:39 pm |

I also am a metalhead and I have yet to see much of a “reptilian” influence. Might this be a cheap attempt to slander both bad ass music, and people like David Icke, who, as unlikely as some of their views may seem, at least have the balls to publicly state them? Yes, me thinks it might be.

8. Save The World Radio | Oct 15, 2010 at 1:39 pm |

9. emperorreagan | Oct 15, 2010 at 6:26 pm |

10. the only content i hear in death/black metal is usually garbage or anger at not being able to be decent human attaching to real emotion besides jealousy of people who feel stuff besides aggression and its all surrounded by a lot of noisy shit that doesn’t sound original just unskillfully spewed together. nothing about reptilians

11. the only content i hear in death/black metal is usually garbage or anger at not being able to be decent human attaching to real emotion besides jealousy of people who feel stuff besides aggression and its all surrounded by a lot of noisy shit that doesn’t sound original just unskillfully spewed together. nothing about reptilians

12. gemmarama | Oct 15, 2010 at 8:40 pm |

13. Ironaddict06 | Oct 15, 2010 at 9:50 pm |

I’d like these bands add to the FACT that there is HUGE PEDOPHILIA problem with the ruling class in Britian and the US.

14. Ironaddict06 | Oct 15, 2010 at 5:50 pm |

15. Reptoids might be an older humanoid race that evovled from reptiles and we are a younger humanoid race that evovled from mammals. This is a very fertile planet for life so nothing would surprise me.

16. Reptoids might be an older humanoid race that evovled from reptiles and we are a younger humanoid race that evovled from mammals. This is a very fertile planet for life so nothing would surprise me.

17. Anonymous | Nov 28, 2010 at 9:19 pm |

18. Most of you heard garbage in death metal, but i do listen this kind of stuff with my bands, just check out The Faceless, Whitechapel or Burning The Masses.