A Demographic Explanation of Why America May Never Be Great Again

Saturn devouring

Saturn Devouring His Son (de Goya).

Populist Dissatisfaction with Economy Hands Senate Seat to Millionaire Dilettante

Around 11:00 p.m. CNN called the U.S. senate race in Wisconsin for Tea Party favorite Ron Johnson, finally ending a nail-biter that saw incumbent Democrat Russ Feingold projected at within one half of one percentage point of Johnson shortly before polls closed at 8:00 p.m. local time.

During that three-hour window of opportunity we held a breathless deathgrip around that slender hope over at one of Russ’s suburban canvassing centers.

The crew had literally worked their asses off for Russ — at 17 calories per minute, our 12-hour shifts of non-stop door-to-door troop rallying, we’d shed about a pound each day.

I figure that I alone must have knocked on over a thousand doors during this election cycle, reminding folks not only of what Russ has done for Wisconsin, but what Johnson’s Tea Party threatened to do to it, and why it all added up to an unequivocal imperative to support Russ.

And with many votes yet to be counted,* and rumours that those were concentrated within the most traditionally Democratic districts in the state, we seemed to have good reason to hope.

Russ rejected the TARP bailout. He voted ‘No’ to the Iraq war. He opposed the Bush-era glad-handing of the U.S. Treasury to the wealthiest 2%. He supported legislation against predatory recission against premium payers by Big Insurance. Russ is a True Progressive Hero.

And what has Johnson done? What’s HIS track record of public service? Well, he doesn’t really have one. He essentially inherited his business, directly deriving more than a quarter of all its revenues** from his in-laws megacorps. That and licensure as a certified public accountant provided him with the thin plastic veneer of economic authority to curry the patronage of Big Finance, the Koch brothers, Club for Growth, and the state AICPA. Essentially Ron Johnson is a millionaire dilettante.

More at The Great Amateur Hour

Latest posts by Liam McGonagle (see all)

58 Comments on "A Demographic Explanation of Why America May Never Be Great Again"

1. Orionx3000 | Nov 3, 2010 at 10:21 pm |

this fucking sucks. I live in wisconsin.. and all i can say is that Russ fiengold didnt fail.. Ron johnson just was willing to lower the bar to win.. like baseball players lieing about dosing to improve performance.. the only thing we can hope is that he is a liar and will not do half the crazy shit he says he will do..I live in a blue state damnit… and its being infected.. i thought wisconsin waas full of sensible educated people.. not the mentally defectives i see at tea party rallys or.. that they are small in number.. it really very sad.. i feel like i should write Russ and tel him he didnt fail.. he just isnt an asshole and is unwilling to compromise integrity to win. Some of the ads running made me wanna shoot my tv. Republican = asshole. My gf said a girl in her class found out her bf was a democrat or voted that way.. something bad happened so she didnt wanna dump him a year later which would be last month on halloween she fucked some other guy. Way to stick it to democrats.. When a group mind set is so apauling and predictable and closed minded it just blows my mind that people, educated people buy into it.. and are proud being jerks and not looking out for their fellow man..it not socialist it christian.. and most republicans are.. which make it harder to understand..Well if they had their way women wouldnt work and blacks wouldnt vote. Look up “the bell curve” ron johnson paid out of pocket to have one of the authors come and speak in oshkosh after the city council told him no. (the bell curve is sociobiology meaning.. the ideology that asians are inherently smarter , blacks are better athletes but have less of a “mental” potential..while many may feel this way there is no science behind it and it comes down to cutting programs to help underachieving racial minoritys because they are where they will be and they are predisposed genetically to stay that way. Sick, sad, makes me wanna move.

2. Orionx3000 | Nov 3, 2010 at 6:21 pm |

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 3, 2010 at 7:26 pm |

No no no! Stay! Stay and fight!

I have the feeling that Russ’s gonna pull an Obi Wan, Jedi-type thing. They cannot kill him–only make him stronger. He’ll be back in some way or shape. Maybe he’ll go back in the system. Maybe he’ll be even more effective working as a policy strategist outside the system. But he’ll be back.

Johnson is gonna spark a youth anti-Tea Bagger movement. And as for Johnson’s racism, my God, doesn’t that inbred, dopey horseface of his make him look like a “Scared Straight” ad program to promote endogamy?

• Earbudcontender | Nov 3, 2010 at 8:09 pm |

even if it is that way. Its not something to use against people, its some with must use to progress the whole of the species.

3. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 3, 2010 at 11:15 pm |

Johnson? Yeah. It’ll be interesting to see what that lot will have to look back at in 2012.

But of course, the famously “responsible” Tea Party, past masters at throwing each other under the bus with every misstep will probably have an “explanation” for that one, too. And Johnson certainly demonstrated some arcane Shaolin techniques of issue-dodging.

We watch and we learn. 2012 will be a motherfucker.

4. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm |

No no no! Stay! Stay and fight!

5. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 4, 2010 at 12:07 am |

BTW, thanks to the team at Disinfo for helping me with this! Youse all are the editorial team I used to ask for at Christmas as a kid but never got.

6. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 3, 2010 at 8:07 pm |

7. Earbudcontender | Nov 4, 2010 at 12:09 am |

8. Earbudcontender | Nov 4, 2010 at 12:23 am |

I got it covered. They need to keep advertising that the Republicans are in power, that they are taking over. So when they mess up people will know exactly who to blame with out a doubt. They are digging their own political graves. People are under financial pressure now and pressure wakes individuals up. With the country all hypersensitive it will be hard to pass bills for their interests without people feeling it right away.

check out my drawing. cum on

9. I live in Wisconsin and am no fan of the right wing. However, Feingold blew it and lost the election imho because he went along withe Obama on the horrible Big Pharma Health Care bill. Funny, you overlooked this in your article about how great Russ was, Yes, Russ did a lot of good things, but he was not without sin and that cost him this time.

10. I live in Wisconsin and am no fan of the right wing. However, Feingold blew it and lost the election imho because he went along withe Obama on the horrible Big Pharma Health Care bill. Funny, you overlooked this in your article about how great Russ was, Yes, Russ did a lot of good things, but he was not without sin and that cost him this time.

• baph777atyt | Nov 4, 2010 at 6:30 am |

There was nothing wrong with Obama’s plan of asking the rich to pay 10% more to help the lower classes have better services. Don’t many of these Republicans claim to be Christians? Why do they do that when according to their ideology Jesus is far more of a socialist than Obama eg. telling the rich man to sell all his property and give it to the poor.

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 4, 2010 at 11:20 am |

Sorry, Donovan, but when you stop to actually think about this it will become clear that you are exactly 100% wrong on this:

1. This is anything but a handout to Big Pharma. The Act contains a provision requiring them to extend 50 pct discounts to Medicare recipients beginning next year.

2. If you think that was not strong enough and that further anti-Pharma measures are required, do you honestly think that horse-faced country club Tea Bagger Ron Johnson is gonna fight for them?

Maybe you feel guilty about betraying Russ on election day, but that class of rationalisation really can’t work. There is no way in Hell you can try to protray Health Care as anything other than an incremental improvement or Ron Johnson as more progressive than Russ Feingold. I can regard that sort of notion can only big a huge freakin’ lie or incredibly stupid.

• Ron Johnson doesn’t have a clue and won’t do anything to fix anything. Why? Because the role of business is to maximize profit- NOT to create jobs. In fact, the goal of any business is to try to get rid of as many “human” people in the org. as possible. Case in point. Jack Welch as been called the greatest businessman of this century. What did he do at GE? He eliminated over 200,000 jobs. And yes, profits went UP. Labor is an expense. So the goal is to get rid or or reduce it as much as possible. So all this crap about Ron Johnson knowing how to create jobs is a load.

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 5, 2010 at 11:36 am |

I don’t know whether you’re new to Disinfo or just haven’t stopped by in a while or for any other reason haven’t had cause to read any of my comments to date. But you have essentially recapped the critique of Laissez Faire Capitalism that I have bandied about here for nearly four months now. Your response is basically that you agree with me.

Yet this is totally at odds with your first comment about Russ blowing it. Did you maybe not read my original blog post here or any of my comments? Or maybe just not understand them? Or did you have a “Saul on the road to Damascus” moment and change your thinking 180 degrees?

• I didn’t vote on election day. Voting is of no use to change our world. Real change always comes from outside the corrupt system. People who vote, are under the illusion that voting matters. It doesn’t. As much as I like Russ Feingold, he was in the senate for 20 years. Now, from empirical evidence, that says how much influence he really had. basically none. And Ron Johnson, please. He has about as much power in the Senate to create jobs as Santa Claus has to bring me my new Ipad for xmas.

• herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 1:54 pm |

well he went against obama on tarp and the surge in afghanistan among many other things undoubtedly. I’m also from wisconsin and you can say good bye to the rest of the manufacturing jobs after this free trade nafta cocksmoker gets into office. oh yeah, you’ll be a uwm. well fuck you. you ain’t going to feel the pinch.

11. baph777atyt | Nov 4, 2010 at 10:30 am |

12. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 4, 2010 at 3:20 pm |

13. herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 5:49 pm |

wisconsinite here

I was literally nauseas(?) when I heard Russ was done. My cynicism and apathy have been cemented into my being.

14. herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 1:49 pm |

wisconsinite here

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 4, 2010 at 2:02 pm |

No no no! Stay! Stay and fight!

We lefty cheeseheads gotta keep in touch, keep strong for the day when Johnson gets his kick back in the teeth. Follow my blog at http://www.thegreatamateurhour.blogspot.com and I’ll reciprocate.

By the time the next election comes around we’re gonna have a lean, mean organized electoral machine and it’s gonna do some damage to the right.

• herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 3:31 pm |

we’ll see. maybe you’ll be able to pull me back from the edge.

• herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 3:57 pm |

something to keep in mind. russ was one of a kind. electing some empty suit, like this douch nozzle johnson, with a D behind his name isn’t going to change anything. visionaries are needed. hopefully your vision of a resurgent feingold comes to pass or someone like him

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 4, 2010 at 5:05 pm |

Well it’s a good sign then that you recognized Russ’ quality. Given the level of commitment I saw in the other canvass volunteers, I know it in my bones that we haven’t seen the last of Russ.

But while his kind are rare, I’m not sure he’s totally unique. Like I said, I saw smart, committed people working their asses off for Russ. Now that the election’s over, these folks may just have more time to plan ahead for round 2, to come out swinging.

Now in the immediate aftermath I know most people are concerned with overcoming the disappointment. As I wrote in that piece, I took it kinda hard myself. Pulled a 36-hour shift more or less to both canvass for Russ and straighten out my thoughts re: the fallout. And having done so I’m now 1,000% certain that the answer is to regroup. Regroup regroup regroup.

What Russ’ people need to do now is to gather and comiserate, to share their experience and remind each other that they’re NOT alone in this–there are actually tons of tough, hardworking people committed to Russ’ vision.

See this is the Right Wing’s real political advantage: proximity. Their network of support for electoral struggle is clearly not based on a shitload of intellectual acheivement or philosophical commitment to individual freedoms. Nope. Not at all. The Right Wing unabashedly tout their control of a patronage network–Big Business. Because people can’t avoid having to work with or for those privatised institutions, the plutocrats find it so freakin’ easy to fool the uncritical into believing that Big Business speaks for them.

That should be obvious bullshit when anyone considers even for a second the incongruity of a resurgent Dow and flat, high unemployment and the misery of the overworked drudges left behind. I don’t have to convince you of that, but apparently the electorate in general is too distraught or overworked or overfrightened by Big Business to think straight.

And this is why Russ’ people have to make a little more effort to meet and discuss their ideas and plans. If enough people can meet regularly in person–even if for very informal comiseration sessions–they’ll have laid the groundwork for Russ’ comback. Gather together, let each other know that hell yeah they’re right. They’re right and they’ll fight and this shit ain’t over by a fucking long shot.

I’m probably luckier than most, really. I have a really active mentor in this whole thing and we meet at a pub maybe once a month or so and have nice confabs. It’s great to have a friendly ear to bitch to, but I’ve also gotten some really good ideas from him, too. I wish everybody was set up like that.

15. herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm |

16. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 4, 2010 at 6:02 pm |

No no no! Stay! Stay and fight!

17. herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 7:31 pm |

we’ll see. maybe you’ll be able to pull me back from the edge.

18. herp derp | Nov 4, 2010 at 7:57 pm |

19. Ron Johnson doesn’t have a clue and won’t do anything to fix anything. Why? Because the role of business is to maximize profit- NOT to create jobs. In fact, the goal of any business is to try to get rid of as many “human” people in the org. as possible. Case in point. Jack Welch as been called the greatest businessman of this century. What did he do at GE? He eliminated over 200,000 jobs. And yes, profits went UP. Labor is an expense. So the goal is to get rid or or reduce it as much as possible. So all this crap about Ron Johnson knowing how to create jobs is a load.

20. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 4, 2010 at 9:05 pm |

21. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 5, 2010 at 3:36 pm |

22. @Liam, No, I have not changed my views at all. I simply think outside of the confines of being a liberal or conservative. Politics is NOT the solution and never will be. Russ Feingold is every bit as much of the problem as is Ron Johnson. Politics is duality at it’s worst. Liam, do you believe that Jesus was a wise person? What did Jesus do and say about politics? Exactly. If you expect the world to be changed by electing certain people to office, you are in a delusional state. Real change comes from working OUTSIDE the political system.

23. @Liam, No, I have not changed my views at all. I simply think outside of the confines of being a liberal or conservative. Politics is NOT the solution and never will be. Russ Feingold is every bit as much of the problem as is Ron Johnson. Politics is duality at it’s worst. Liam, do you believe that Jesus was a wise person? What did Jesus do and say about politics? Exactly. If you expect the world to be changed by electing certain people to office, you are in a delusional state. Real change comes from working OUTSIDE the political system.

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 5, 2010 at 3:17 pm |

So, your genius thought pattern means stabbing a stalwart progressive like Russ in the back and handing the show over to a racist douchebag like Ron Johnson?

Yeah, your concept of anarchy is a GREAT idea. If the power-mad scumbags are barely kept at bay by a vigorous representative democracy, I’m sure they’ll all just humbly back away when let off the leash entirely. We know what a labor and civil rights paradise this world was before government abolished slavery, discrimination and certain abusive workplace practices.

Donovan, were you born an idiot or did you have to work really hard to acheive it?

24. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 5, 2010 at 7:17 pm |

25. Sometimes you can tell more about the true soul and character of a person by how they respond when another person doesn’t agree with their thinking. It’s like when the talking heads at Fox News yell and call people idiots without addressing the question that was just asked. I suppose to some, ignorance, hate, and delusion are where they choose to be. But as for myself, I’m working for change in a peaceful and constructive way- and that does not include politics. peace out.

26. Sometimes you can tell more about the true soul and character of a person by how they respond when another person doesn’t agree with their thinking. It’s like when the talking heads at Fox News yell and call people idiots without addressing the question that was just asked. I suppose to some, ignorance, hate, and delusion are where they choose to be. But as for myself, I’m working for change in a peaceful and constructive way- and that does not include politics. peace out.

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 6, 2010 at 11:20 am |

And sometimes you can tell a lot about a person’s TRUE soul and intelligence when they try to pass off Tea Bagger Ron Johnson as the moral equivalent of Russ Feingold, champion of campaign finance reform.

We know what you’re working for alright. My God, just take a look at your site. It’s nothing but a string of corporate cliche’s.

Yeah, that’s you alright. The airplane, the wisconsin residence. And the pro-Big Business marketing blather.

P.S.–the christian glamrock band “Stryper” was ground breaking? In what? The field of ironic ineptitude?

Get real. We’re not going to tolerate obscurantist bullshit anymore. Call it like it is: You’re enabling the Ron Johnsons of this world and their Koch Brothers sponsors.

• Thank you for posting a link to my bio, which states the following: He has devoted his time to nonprofit causes. His latest project is the online aggregated news site, spiritnewsdaily.com.

That is correct and thank you for bringing this up in your rebuttal to my political views. I spend the the majority of my time working for social justice, consulting pro bono for non-profits, and being editor of spiritnewsdaily.com, that runs only positive news stories. Now tell me again, what invokes your anger? Oh, that’s right, I didn’t agree with you. I don’t. peace out.

thank you again.

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm |

Oh, after people read my earlier riposte to you, I don’t imagine you’d have any cause for grattitude!

• P.S. I DID NOT VOTE FOR RON JOHNSON, NOR WOULD I EVER. Do I need to make this any more clear to you?

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm |

Listen, whether or not you filled in the line next to “Ron Johnson” on the ballot is not the issue. If you knew how to read you would have noticed that I never said that you voted for him.

I said that you ENABLED Ron Johnson. Through morally equating him with Russ Feingold, the sponsor of the toughest anti-Big Money campaign finance reform in decades.

Yes, you most certainly goddamned did morally equate Johnson with Feingold! I quote from one of your earlier posts, lest you be tempted to erase the evidence:

“Russ Feingold is every bit as much of the problem as is Ron Johnson.”

There they are. Your own words. “Every bit as much of the problem”. “EVERY BIT”. Quoth Donovan Moore.

And thank you for going on record to the whole world about your contempt for moral consistency. Do the people you supposedly work for know you truely feel that way? Or that you’re unable to tell the difference between a guy who got at over $450k in big chunks directly from Big Finance (i.e., Johnson) vs. a guy who got barely over $300k in dribs and drabs from the likes of The National Committee to Preserve Social Security, the Sheet Metal Workers Union and the Progressive Voters of America? It’s all in the federal election comission reports I linked to at my blog, though as well informed as you claim to be I’m sure you knew that already. Ha.

Will you accuse me of being too harsh on you because you are merely sloppy and undermined the progressive movement out of ignorance rather than malice?

I think you may try to fall back on that, which would be a more than little disingenous for someone claiming to be closely involved with a “news” aggregation venture.

Do you know what the difference between “news” and “opinion” is? Have you ever thought critically enough about the issue to make the distinction?

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy . . .

• Liam_McGonagle | Nov 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm |

And my God! I loved the list of Donovan’s company’s clients. Art Linkletter and Pat Boone? Not the same Pat Boone who campaigned for Ronald Reagan, equated gay rights proponents with terrorists and compared liberals to cancer, calling them “filthy black cells”?

Yeah, SUPER DUPER, hard-core progressive, Donovan!

• I never said I was a progressive. I’m not. I’m not a Democrat. I’m not a Republican. I don’t belong to the Tea party. I DON’T VOTE. I am a believer in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI

• True, 30 years ago, I was a conservative, Right Wing, Bigot. I used to think Rush Limbaugh was the smartest man in the world. I WOKE UP. Today, I believe no such thing. Now I think for myself and don’t let politicians or religions tell me what to believe. I tell myself what to believe. There is not a day that goes by that I am not appreciative to the fact that for some reason, which I really don’t know, I was able to wake up and “get” that the system is rigged and it’s ok to think for yourself. I reject the corporate agenda that controls our current political system and will continue to work for real change until the day I leave this earth. peace out.

27. Anonymous | Nov 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm |

28. Thank you for posting a link to my bio, which states the following: He has devoted his time to nonprofit causes. His latest project is the online aggregated news site, spiritnewsdaily.com.

thank you again.

29. P.S. I DID NOT VOTE FOR RON JOHNSON, NOR WOULD I EVER. Do I need to make this any more clear to you?

30. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 6, 2010 at 8:01 pm |

“Russ Feingold is every bit as much of the problem as is Ron Johnson.”

Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy . . .

31. Liam_McGonagle | Nov 6, 2010 at 8:07 pm |

32. Anonymous | Nov 6, 2010 at 8:48 pm |

Yeah, SUPER DUPER, hard-core progressive, Donovan!

33. I didn’t vote on election day. Voting is of no use to change our world. Real change always comes from outside the corrupt system. People who vote, are under the illusion that voting matters. It doesn’t. As much as I like Russ Feingold, he was in the senate for 20 years. Now, from empirical evidence, that says how much influence he really had. basically none. And Ron Johnson, please. He has about as much power in the Senate to create jobs as Santa Claus has to bring me my new Ipad for xmas.

34. I never said I was a progressive. I’m not. I’m not a Democrat. I’m not a Republican. I don’t belong to the Tea party. I DON’T VOTE. I am a believer in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI

35. True, 30 years ago, I was a conservative, Right Wing, Bigot. I used to think Rush Limbaugh was the smartest man in the world. I WOKE UP. Today, I believe no such thing. Now I think for myself and don’t let politicians or religions tell me what to believe. I tell myself what to believe. There is not a day that goes by that I am not appreciative to the fact that for some reason, which I really don’t know, I was able to wake up and “get” that the system is rigged and it’s ok to think for yourself. I reject the corporate agenda that controls our current political system and will continue to work for real change until the day I leave this earth. peace out.