Florida Airport Opting Out: Rejecting the TSA in Favor of A Private Company

Orlando Sanford International AirportKen Tyndall reports on WDBO Local News:

The backlash continues over those new TSA screening measures, and now one Central Florida airport has decided to go with a private security screening firm. Orlando Sanford International Airport has decided to opt out from TSA screening.

“All of our due diligence shows it’s the way to go,” said Larry Dale, the director of the Sanford Airport Authority. “You’re going to get better service at a better price and more accountability and better customer service.”

Dale says he will be sending a letter requesting to opt out from TSA screening, and instead the airport will choose one of the five approved private screening companies to take over.

Congressman John Mica, who’s expected to lead the powerful Transportation Committee next year, says the TSA is crying out for reform. “I think TSA is overstepping its bounds,” said Mica.

Dale says, if all goes as planned, the private security firm could take over in about 12 months.

The TSA points out that even if an airport decides to use a private firm for security, the screeners still must follow TSA guidelines. That would include using enhanced pat-downs and the full-body scanners if they are installed at the airport.

Read More on WDBO Local News

23 Comments on "Florida Airport Opting Out: Rejecting the TSA in Favor of A Private Company"

1. Looks like a case of the ol “Problem Cause Solution. I’d bet the owners of those private screening companies are very please with the behavior of the TSA as of late. They are going to make allot of money from this mess.

2. Looks like a case of the ol “Problem Cause Solution. I’d bet the owners of those private screening companies are very please with the behavior of the TSA as of late. They are going to make allot of money from this mess.

• Considering these companies hire and train competent individuals in a way the TSA can’t or won’t do, it’s definitely an area where they will win out over the TSA. People are getting sick of the incompetence that seems to run with government programs.

I’m not particularly worried about the profit-driven aspect of the companies as their profit ratio has little to do with you as the passenger, and the airlines themselves are profit driven. Worst case scenario: Your tickets would be marginally more expensive than another airport using the TSA. But I would gladly pay 50$ more than the average if it meant getting through quickly and efficiently without TSA agent handling my genitals and touching my kid inappropriately.

• As you said, their profits have little to do with you the passenger. They don’t have a strong incentive to see that you have a good flying experience because you’re not their customer–the airports are (or whatever go’vt agency is responsible for the airports). If the private prison industry is any indication, they’ll probably do exactly what the TSA does, only they’ll cut corners to build a profit margin for themselves.

• Ironaddict06 | Nov 21, 2010 at 9:46 pm |

Yea, that’s the funny part..Parents telling their little girls and boys, it’s OK for the stranger to feel your crotch.

3. The TSA is overstepping is bounds, but at least it’s accountable to some political entity. A private company, like Blackwater or a for-profit prison, is its own can of worms. Part of the impetus for privatizing airport screening is that the TSA workers want to unionize, so a lot of this has less to do with protecting privacy than exploiting workers.

4. The TSA is overstepping is bounds, but at least it’s accountable to some political entity. A private company, like Blackwater or a for-profit prison, is its own can of worms. Part of the impetus for privatizing airport screening is that the TSA workers want to unionize, so a lot of this has less to do with protecting privacy than exploiting workers.

5. The TSA is overstepping is bounds, but at least it’s accountable to some political entity. A private company, like Blackwater or a for-profit prison, is its own can of worms. Part of the impetus for privatizing airport screening is that the TSA workers want to unionize, so a lot of this has less to do with protecting privacy than exploiting workers.

• Hadrian999 | Nov 20, 2010 at 9:30 pm |

nothing could be worse than the current tsa, every time I fly every tsa goon i see is some doushbag on a power trip screaming and pounding his chest to show everyone what a big man he is, for all the that invasive bullying they have caught a grand total of 0 terrorists, sounds like the tsa is a prime candidate for getting canned.

• It can *always* be worse. The TSA guys, as bad as they are, are directly answerable to a government authority. Private employees would have a company to insulate them. Think of how Blackwater was able to get away with things because their contractors were not in the military chain of command.

And believe me, I feel the same way about the TSA. I’ve already had my crotch patted two or three times, long before the scanners, because their stupid X-ray wand detected my pants zipper. I just don’t think it will matter much, in the long term, whether they work for TSA or some company.

• Hadrian999 | Nov 21, 2010 at 5:21 pm |

when has being accountable to the government reigned anyone in?
          the guy who murdered oscar grant was a accountable to the government,
          the support for countless genocidal madmen around the globe from the shah to saddam,
          government employees, the rampart division, accountable to the government, atf government accountable.
          yeah I’ll sleep great now knowing the TSA has the government making sure they do no wrong

6. Hadrian999 | Nov 21, 2010 at 1:30 am |

7. Considering these companies hire and train competent individuals in a way the TSA can’t or won’t do, it’s definitely an area where they will win out over the TSA. People are getting sick of the incompetence that seems to run with government programs.

8. Considering these companies hire and train competent individuals in a way the TSA can’t or won’t do, it’s definitely an area where they will win out over the TSA. People are getting sick of the incompetence that seems to run with government programs.

9. Not much different than what I suspected…profit motive will act as a swifter cure for these ills than indignation ever will. The ears of TSA are deaf to complaint or cries for justice…but when airlines lose money and the market shifts to places with better passenger service…this may very well self correct.

10. Not much different than what I suspected…profit motive will act as a swifter cure for these ills than indignation ever will. The ears of TSA are deaf to complaint or cries for justice…but when airlines lose money and the market shifts to places with better passenger service…this may very well self correct.

11. As you said, their profits have little to do with you the passenger. They don’t have a strong incentive to see that you have a good flying experience because you’re not their customer–the airports are (or whatever go’vt agency is responsible for the airports). If the private prison industry is any indication, they’ll probably do exactly what the TSA does, only they’ll cut corners to build a profit margin for themselves.

12. It can *always* be worse. The TSA guys, as bad as they are, are directly answerable to a government authority. Private employees would have a company to insulate them. Think of how Blackwater was able to get away with things because their contractors were not in the military chain of command.

13. Hadrian999 | Nov 21, 2010 at 9:21 pm |

when has being accountable to the government reigned anyone in?
    the guy who murdered oscar grant was a accountable to the government,

14. Ironaddict06 | Nov 22, 2010 at 1:46 am |

15. Wow, this is horrible news. I think the Florida Airport is missing the point… We don’t want to be felt all over or go through a machine that entirely exposes us because it invades our privacy, NOT because it’s the government.

Companies have one bottom line: make as much money as possible. That means cutting corners in machine safety and unregulated practices, such as companies potentially using harmful methods of scanning.

16. Wow, this is horrible news. I think the Florida Airport is missing the point… We don’t want to be felt all over or go through a machine that entirely exposes us because it invades our privacy, NOT because it’s the government.