Recession Advertising: The Multiproduct Commercial

With companies cutting costs, is this the future of advertising? I’m not sure how large the divide between parody and reality truly is.

18 Comments on "Recession Advertising: The Multiproduct Commercial"

1. I’m still waiting on a recent prediction of mine…I decided to aim for the ridiculous and wait for it to happen…after all, if you’d told me ten years ago that the Patriot Act would be passed nearly unanimously I’d have laughed it off. So here’s my prediction:

As wages stagnate and decline and working poverty becomes the new ‘middle class’, shopping will decline and advertising will become increasingly desperate, especially with regard to making sure that people don’t escape complete exposure to the full length of advertisements. First, volume disabling will be stripped from products only with regard to advertising…you can mute during a show…but not during an ad. Second, by act of Congress, a minimum level of advertising per day will be required for all citizens and residents. Failure to comply and receive the required minimum daily ad allowance will result in fines aimed at increasing voluntary compliance.

I’d call it too crazy to happen…but so is half the shit that already has in the last decade, so who knows?

2. I’m still waiting on a recent prediction of mine…I decided to aim for the ridiculous and wait for it to happen…after all, if you’d told me ten years ago that the Patriot Act would be passed nearly unanimously I’d have laughed it off. So here’s my prediction:

• That’s not predicting; that’s brainstorming. It’s not a prediction when anyone else can just take what you said and make it happen.

When will we learn?! There’s no such thing as looking into the future; there’s only creation of future. Leave the future alone. You’re just giving them ideas.

[I’ll open an exception: if you’re and optimist, then fine; talk about the future all you want. :P]

• what is this optimism of which you speak…I have heard the word before…and yet have had no actual encounters with this mythical substance 🙂

• Butter Knife | Nov 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm |

I am optimistic that the future government will only imprison, torture and murder a large fraction of the population.

Anything is optimistic if you phrase it as though an even worse alternative is almost certain.

Seriously though, our country used to imprison political activists advocating peaceful, electoral change (anarchists at the turn of the century), religious minorities who dared to proselytize (Jehovah’s Witnesses), and ethnic minorities who attempted to drink at the wrong water fountains. For all of the horrid things we do now, I don’t think it’s at all fair to say we’re getting worse on a long-view time line.

• Ironaddict06 | Nov 6, 2010 at 10:18 pm |

Yea, i think in our lifetime we will see people going to prison for things they say, that the state doesn’t like. Look at Mr. Williams.
            I think the future of advertising is the products are put into television show. For the most part commerical breaks will come to and end, and a majority of advertising in done through the show.

• Mr Williams? You mean Juan “lackluster career diversity hire with nearly no talent for analysis deeper than skin level finally got fired for being fucking retarded in public and making the stable that keeps him look even stupider by default” Williams ?

That dude was lucky he had a job to lose…but he should be right at home at Fox…being talentless and making flashy outrageous but totally inaccurate statements is like their highest achievement. Being fired for making the public face of the company that pays your bills look even stupider than usual isn’t like goin to jail for a political statement.

3. That’s not predicting; that’s brainstorming. It’s not a prediction when anyone else can just take what you said and make it happen.

4. StillAtMyMoms | Nov 6, 2010 at 3:32 pm |

Looks like this was produced by a bunch of undergrads who wanted to be political savvy. Sorry, but Trey and Matt already occupy this niche.

5. StillAtMyMoms | Nov 6, 2010 at 11:32 am |

6. what is this optimism of which you speak…I have heard the word before…and yet have had no actual encounters with this mythical substance 🙂

7. Butter Knife | Nov 6, 2010 at 5:44 pm |

8. Another way to maximize profits.

9. Another way to maximize profits.

10. Ironaddict06 | Nov 7, 2010 at 2:18 am |

11. A Multiproduct Commercial is called a movie…

12. A Multiproduct Commercial is called a movie…

13. Mr Williams? You mean Juan “lackluster career diversity hire with nearly no talent for analysis deeper than skin level finally got fired for being fucking retarded in public and making the stable that keeps him look even stupider by default” Williams ?