Spanish Woman Claims Ownership of the Sun

SunReports the AFP via Google News:

MADRID— After billions of years the Sun finally has an owner — a woman from Spain’s soggy region of Galicia said Friday she had registered the star at a local notary public as being her property.

Angeles Duran, 49, told the online edition of daily El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our Solar System.

There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it says nothing about individuals, she added.

“There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law. I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first.”

The document issued by the notary public declares Duran to be the “owner of the Sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometres”.

Read More in the AFP via Google News

47 Comments on "Spanish Woman Claims Ownership of the Sun"

1. Can she be sued for melanomas?

2. Can she be sued for melanomas?

• Earbudcontender | Nov 29, 2010 at 1:31 am |

awesome

• Earbudcontender | Nov 29, 2010 at 1:33 am |

and for racism since africans stock up on melanin to protect from sun light

• emperorreagan | Nov 29, 2010 at 10:17 am |

I’m going to call her the next time I have a hang over and demand that she gets her stupid sun out of my window so I can go back to sleep.

3. So all users of solar panels are actually using her Sun to power. She is going to be SO rich.

4. So all users of solar panels are actually using her Sun to power. She is going to be SO rich.

5. Earbudcontender | Nov 29, 2010 at 5:31 am |

awesome

6. Earbudcontender | Nov 29, 2010 at 5:33 am |

and for racism since africans stock up on melanin to protect from sun light

7. Earbudcontender | Nov 29, 2010 at 5:34 am |

at least they cant say that buys what she does not need

8. Earbudcontender | Nov 29, 2010 at 1:34 am |

at least they cant say that buys what she does not need

9. So I take it she’s an illuminatus?

10. So I take it she’s an illuminatus?

11. Kali23Yuga | Nov 29, 2010 at 12:54 pm |

She’s going to be the next Leopold II of Belgium.

12. Kali23Yuga | Nov 29, 2010 at 8:54 am |

She’s going to be the next Leopold II of Belgium.

13. I own the Earth and I will evict her.

14. I own the Earth and I will evict her.

15. emperorreagan | Nov 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm |

16. emperorreagan | Nov 29, 2010 at 2:17 pm |

17. sillysunshinegirl | Nov 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm |

@rainer
    Yep, she’s due a sizable amount of back tax from pretty much every inhabitant on Earth…

However, I’d like to know if she’s responsible for damages (like the sunburn I had in ’06), blackouts (what’s with that ‘nighttime power saving’ scam?) and, most importantly, repairs.

18. sillysunshinegirl | Nov 29, 2010 at 11:21 am |

@rainer

19. It’s a fixer upper at best since it swallowed those 7 black holes 14 million years ago…who’d buy it now!

20. It’s a fixer upper at best since it swallowed those 7 black holes 14 million years ago…who’d buy it now!

21. Tell her to turn it down or face charges for gross negligence relating to global warming. I hope she has a few extra trillion dollars.

22. Tell her to turn it down or face charges for gross negligence relating to global warming. I hope she has a few extra trillion dollars.

23. Ironaddict06 | Nov 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm |

Good one.

24. Apollodōros Phlamandos | Nov 29, 2010 at 5:56 pm |

The Sun belongs to no one but itself. Khaire Hēlie!

We should all sue her for all those sun burns, black outs, racism, and all the other things previous commentators mentioned. She’s gonna regret ‘owning’ the Sun.

25. Apollodōros Phlamandos | Nov 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm |

The Sun belongs to no one but itself. Khaire Hēlie!

26. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |

that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. what is she going to do with it? host a party and say ” and over here, we have my lovely bright burning star, the sun. you can thank me for giving life to our planet” ??? that is absolutely selfish and stupid. i guess she doesnt have anything better to do with her time.

27. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |

28. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm |

29. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm |

30. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |

31. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |

32. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm |

33. Msspitfire22 | Nov 29, 2010 at 6:35 pm |

34. Limbotime | Nov 30, 2010 at 12:23 am |

i heard she is now attempting to sell her sun in trade for the first easy replacement. unfortunately the sun now owns her but all agreements are adjustable in the light of day.

35. Limbotime | Nov 29, 2010 at 8:23 pm |

36. Just think of the property tax she’d have to pay. I mean, that’s 6.0877×10^12 square kilometers of prime real estate that she is laying claim to. Tax would probably be several thousand times the gross planetary GDP.

37. Just think of the property tax she’d have to pay. I mean, that’s 6.0877×10^12 square kilometers of prime real estate that she is laying claim to. Tax would probably be several thousand times the gross planetary GDP.

38. Ha! I wonder if she did it just to be an ass.

That’s why I would’ve done it.

39. Ha! I wonder if she did it just to be an ass.

That’s why I would’ve done it.

40. Now lets see her back up her claim and protect her ownership, because I will claim abandonment as the sun is property left isolated for too long. We think our rules and policies apply at all levels but it only applies to us. I am sure the animals don’t care nor would ET. How can anyone own anything, we simply have it in our possessions for a period of time at most, but our meager time is nothing to the grand scheme. one day the matter that makes up me might become part of a tree and a chair may be furnished from that tree and so someday one may own me.

41. Now lets see her back up her claim and protect her ownership, because I will claim abandonment as the sun is property left isolated for too long. We think our rules and policies apply at all levels but it only applies to us. I am sure the animals don’t care nor would ET. How can anyone own anything, we simply have it in our possessions for a period of time at most, but our meager time is nothing to the grand scheme. one day the matter that makes up me might become part of a tree and a chair may be furnished from that tree and so someday one may own me.