Public USB Drives In The Walls Of NYC

IMG_0421-650x433Dead Drops is a project in which USB flash drives are installed on the streets of New York City for anonymous file-sharing by strangers. Thus far, five USBs are hidden around the city. Find them to add or take whatever files you wish.

‘Dead Drops’ is an anonymous, offline, peer to peer file-sharing network in public space. I am ‘injecting’ USB flash drives into walls, buildings and curbs accessable to anybody in public space. You are invited to go to these places (so far 5 in NYC) to drop or find files on a dead drop. Plug your laptop to a wall, house or pole to share your favorite files and data. Each dead drop contains a readme.txt file explaining the project. ‘Dead Drops’ is still in progress, to be continued here and in more cities.

14 Comments on "Public USB Drives In The Walls Of NYC"

1. HypochondriacRobot | Nov 12, 2010 at 8:50 pm |

What if one of these anonymous USB drives is carrying a virus?!? Ack! now I need protection if I “plug” in…

2. HypochondriacRobot | Nov 12, 2010 at 4:50 pm |

3. Need a anti-virus dispenser before or after unprotected file sharing….

4. Need a anti-virus dispenser before or after unprotected file sharing….

5. Needs a USB condom.

6. Needs a USB condom.

7. Billy Blackerby | Nov 13, 2010 at 10:07 pm |

Cost of USB flash drive: 10$.
    Cost of installing into a wall: 25$.
    Money made by the local computer repair shop who came up with this idea to infect more users and drum up business: Priceless.

On a serious note, is this where P2P networks are going to?

8. Billy Blackerby | Nov 13, 2010 at 6:07 pm |

Cost of USB flash drive: 10$.
    Cost of installing into a wall: 25$.

On a serious note, is this where P2P networks are going to?

• Person 1 “Man, I want to hear ‘Loves Secret Domain'”
      Person 2 “In about 2 hours go to 45th and Ash, copy file “Coil LSD” to your hard drive before someone erases it”
      Person 1 “How about I just meet you there?”

• Ironaddict06 | Nov 15, 2010 at 12:19 pm |

Yea, this is good business for local computer repair shops.

9. Anonymous | Nov 13, 2010 at 10:54 pm |

Kinda like a virtual glory hole.

10. Maurauder | Nov 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm |

Kinda like a virtual glory hole.

11. Person 1 “Man, I want to hear ‘Loves Secret Domain'”
    Person 1 “How about I just meet you there?”

12. Ironaddict06 | Nov 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm |

Yea, this is good business for local computer repair shops.