What Is It With Rush Limbaugh and the Chevy Volt?

2011_Chevrolet_VoltRush is doing wonders for the marketing of the Volt electric car — even flush with all their new IPO cash, I doubt that General Motors could have bought this much ad space following the Volt being named Motor Trend magazine’s “Car of the Year.” Ben Armbruster reports for Think Progress:

Limbaugh said of the Motor Trend award, “[O]f all the cars in the world, the Chevrolet Volt is the Car of the Year? Motor Trend magazine, that’s the end of them. How in the world do they have any credibility? Not one has been sold [and] the Volt is the Car of the Year.” Last week, one of the magazine’s editors, Todd Lassa, shot back at Limbaugh, noting that GM hasn’t sold any Volts “because it’s not on sale yet“:

So, Mr. Limbaugh; you didn’t enjoy your drive of our 2011 Car of the Year, the Chevrolet Volt? Assuming you’ve been anywhere near the biggest automotive technological breakthrough since … I don’t know, maybe the self-starter, could you even find your way to the front seat? Or are you happy attacking a car that you’ve never even seen in person? […]

All the shouting from you or from electric car purists on the left can’t distort the fact that the Chevy Volt is, indeed, a technological breakthrough. And it’s more. It’s a technological breakthrough that many American families can use for gas-free daily commutes and well-planned vacation drives. It’s expensive for a Chevy, but many of those families will find the gasoline saved worth it. If you can stop shilling for your favorite political party long enough to go for a drive, you might really enjoy the Chevy Volt. I’m sure GM would be happy to lend you one for the weekend. Just remember: driving and Oxycontin don’t mix.

Lassa also noted that the Volt isn’t some left-wing “tree hugging, Obama-supporting Government Motors” conspiracy, but was in fact conceived of well before Democrats regained control of Congress in 2006 and well before Obama began his campaign for the presidency…

[continues at Think Progress]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

22 Comments on "What Is It With Rush Limbaugh and the Chevy Volt?"

1. Hadrian999 | Nov 24, 2010 at 3:44 pm |

it’s all part of the ideology wars between right and left,

2. Hadrian999 | Nov 24, 2010 at 11:44 am |

it’s all part of the ideology wars between right and left,the right seems to have taken the position that anything involving conservation, alternative fuels or sustainable building/energy is somehow satanic and socialist and pure consumption for it’s own sake gives jesus a hard on.

not to say the left isn’t just as loony when it comes to ideological purity and preventing real progress.

• As a self-professed member of the “Loony Left,” let me say this:

Let’s just say if I COULD afford a Volt, I wouldn’t buy it. Mainly because it’s still very much not cost effective. I’d accept it as a gift, but ONLY as such.

If they make batteries better able to hold energy and charge up (one hour for a charge, not eight hours), then I’d think of it. Give it a couple generations (if our energy base holds up long enough, that is…I have my doubts about that).

• Hadrian999 | Nov 25, 2010 at 12:30 pm |

that is the problem with alternative fuels and electric cars, they just aren’t reliable enough yet, hopefully that changes with time. hopefully the right wing hatchet job on non petro fueled vehicles doesn’t stop research and development

• False equivalency. Very lame.

• Hadrian999 | Nov 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm |

you may not like it, I know i don’t, but the left and right con game running in this country is all
        about screwing the other side and making money, nothing more. it’s why the “leftists” in power now behave in exactly the same way as the “right wing” government before them. police state gets bigger every day, foreign wars expand, corporate interests get more and more control, but yeah the democrats are the good guys.

• Anarchy Pony | Jul 22, 2011 at 9:23 pm |

Please don’t equate the democrats with leftism. They are not leftists, in reality they are maybe center-right at best. Real leftists go to jail in this country.

3. Anonymous | Nov 24, 2010 at 6:16 pm |

Mr. Limbaugh, please Rush yourself to the next world…please?

4. GoodDoktorBad | Nov 24, 2010 at 2:16 pm |

Mr. Limbaugh, please Rush yourself to the next world…please?

5. NotPaul Hogan | Nov 24, 2010 at 8:27 pm |

I’m not sure why you would call the Volt “… the biggest automotive technological breakthrough since … I don’t know, maybe the self-starter…” Isn’t it a hybrid?
    What makes it so much more technologically advanced than the Toyota, Honda, Audi etc., hybrids?
    P.S. I am not being facetious, I really would like to know.

6. NotPaul Hogan | Nov 24, 2010 at 4:27 pm |

P.S. I am not being facetious, I really would like to know.

• Orionx3001 | Nov 24, 2010 at 6:40 pm |

its all electric

• I wouldn’t call it advanced, as the technology is already being used by railroads. It is definitely different, and if certain issues can get resolved it can be the car of the future.

It’s an electric car with an internal combustion engine. The difference between it and the Prius/Insight/Tahoe hybrids is that the engine is not connected to the drive train. When the motor runs, it supplies energy to the batteries, which then power the drive train.

When the batteries are fully charged you can (supposedly) go forty miles without engaging the engine. The total range (gas and electric) is claimed to be up to 400 + miles.

Think of it as a Tesla with an extra fuel source you bring along.

7. Orionx3001 | Nov 24, 2010 at 10:40 pm |

its all electric

8. Orionx3001 | Nov 24, 2010 at 10:40 pm |

its all electric

9. Orionx3001 | Nov 24, 2010 at 10:40 pm |

its all electric

10. I wouldn’t call it advanced, as the technology is already being used by railroads. It is definitely different, and if certain issues can get resolved it can be the car of the future.

Think of it as a Tesla with an extra fuel source you bring along.

11. As a self-professed member of the “Loony Left,” let me say this:

12. Hadrian999 | Nov 25, 2010 at 4:30 pm |

13. False equivalency. Very lame.

14. Hadrian999 | Nov 26, 2010 at 2:37 am |