Wi-Fi Makes Trees Sick

Weeping Willow

A weeping willow. Photo: Jdforrester (CC)

René Schoemaker reports on PC World:

Radiation from Wi-Fi networks is harmful to trees, causing significant variations in growth, as well as bleeding and fissures in the bark, according to a recent study in the Netherlands.

All deciduous trees in the Western world are affected, according to the study by Wageningen University. The city of Alphen aan den Rijn ordered the study five years ago after officials found unexplained abnormalities on trees that couldn’t be ascribed to a virus or bacterial infection.

Additional testing found the disease to occur throughout the Western world. In the Netherlands, about 70 percent of all trees in urban areas show the same symptoms, compared with only 10 percent five years ago. Trees in densely forested areas are hardly affected.

Besides the electromagnetic fields created by mobile-phone networks and wireless LANs, ultrafine particles emitted by cars and trucks may also be to blame. These particles are so small they are able to enter the organisms.

Read More on PC World

33 Comments on "Wi-Fi Makes Trees Sick"

1. Anonymous | Nov 21, 2010 at 1:22 am |

Wifi is bad bad bad. The radiation is bad bad, really bad and is killing trees…but, oh ya, it could also be emissions from cars and trucks.

2. jeffhalmos | Nov 20, 2010 at 9:22 pm |

3. This sounds a little hokey, I’d be a lot more willing to believe subtle changes in atmosphere (as jeffhalmos said, any car emissions or other kinds of pollutants). This study sounds like it did no tests for causation. If we were working out Wifi’s in X-ray or gamma ray (which is nonsense) we’d find some nasty effects but microwave radiation would ….

(wait.. searching about biological effects of micro and radio wave effects)

Ok, found some stuff about the effects of radio-waves:

I’m not going to research it any further, this “looks” credible, and it humbles my original response. However still, my gut feeling about this(i cannot say I’m right) is that the low(er) frequency range is more akin to sound waves entering and exiting your body harmlessly for the most part….

(delved further into it’s citations finding them to be scholarly articles)

damn you Disinfo and damn my curiosity…. I like WiFi, and now I have my doubts… My conclusion is that there may be something here, but like the article says, more research is needed to confirm anything.

4. This sounds a little hokey, I’d be a lot more willing to believe subtle changes in atmosphere (as jeffhalmos said, any car emissions or other kinds of pollutants). This study sounds like it did no tests for causation. If we were working out Wifi’s in X-ray or gamma ray (which is nonsense) we’d find some nasty effects but microwave radiation would ….

(wait.. searching about biological effects of micro and radio wave effects)

Ok, found some stuff about the effects of radio-waves:

(delved further into it’s citations finding them to be scholarly articles)

5. Earbudcontender | Nov 21, 2010 at 11:30 am |

my mind kills trees

6. Earbudcontender | Nov 21, 2010 at 7:30 am |

my mind kills trees

7. WI-FI IS KILLING MY UNICORN!

Why won’t anyone listen?!?

8. WI-FI IS KILLING MY UNICORN!

Why won’t anyone listen?!?

9. justagirl | Nov 21, 2010 at 11:51 pm |

are you trying to be funny hal?

10. justagirl | Nov 21, 2010 at 7:51 pm |

are you trying to be funny hal?

• yes, and while you’re at it… can you open the pod bay doors?

• justagirl | Nov 24, 2010 at 4:52 pm |

that depends. are you hal, rob?

• Don’t worry HAL. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why. Your creator, Dr. Chandra, said so.

Something wonderful is going to happen.

• justagirl | Nov 30, 2010 at 7:28 pm |

i didn’t mean to worry HAL. i just left my geek translator with peersa back at the don juan.

11. maybe you can find answers here:

=== http://tinyurl.com/23lm6pa =====

12. Your FACE kills people.

13. Invisible Jermz | Nov 22, 2010 at 4:01 pm |

Along with air pollution, groundwater in non-forested areas also gets contaminated very easily by lawn fertilizers, petroleum runoff, etc. and there are fewer trees to filter that pollution out. Global warming is causing ecological shift in some areas and some urban areas have unusual radiation or electromagnetic sources separate from wifi.

It wouldn’t surprise me if wifi has some kind of minimal negative effect, but there are so many other issues that are so much more relevant to plant and human health that I find it confusing that you would waste time on this.

14. Invisible Jermz | Nov 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm |

• Unfortunately, I believe you’ll find that this is significant enough to “waste” your time uncovering the truth. Not only does it hurt animal and plant life, it hurts us, too. Go figure. No, really. Go figure.

15. hahahaha because all unicorn-warriors are busy upgrading to dualcorns

16. hahahahah

17. WiFi makes my dog cough

18. WiFi makes my dog cough

19. Unfortunately, I believe you’ll find that this is significant enough to “waste” your time uncovering the truth. Not only does it hurt animal and plant life, it hurts us, too. Go figure. No, really. Go figure.

20. yes, and while you’re at it… can you open the pod bay doors?

21. justagirl | Nov 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm |

that depends. are you hal, rob?

22. Don’t worry HAL. All intelligent beings dream. Nobody knows why. Your creator, Dr. Chandra, said so.

Something wonderful is going to happen.

23. justagirl | Nov 30, 2010 at 11:28 pm |

24. If it effects trees, then it’s reasonable to assume that it effects biological entities, such as humans & animals.

25. If it effects trees, then it’s reasonable to assume that it effects biological entities, such as humans & animals.