BMW Ad Uses Afterimage To Burn Logo Into Watchers’ Brains

A BMV commercial shown in German movie theaters uses a powerful photo flash to literally brand the corporation’s logo into viewers’ skulls, so that they see the logo upon closing their eyes. Surely other companies will soon follow suit with this cool advertising technique, and by cool, I mean awful:

“What do we see when we look straight at the sun and then close our eyes? That’s right, a bright moving disk that lasts several seconds. Every child knows this afterimage effect. We use the afterimage effect for a completely new brand experience.”

, ,

20 Responses to BMW Ad Uses Afterimage To Burn Logo Into Watchers’ Brains

1. Strummingbabe December 21, 2010 at 7:16 pm #

THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT, I CANT BE THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THEY SHOULDNT HAVE THE RIGHT TO AIR THESE TYPES OF COMMERCIALS. FUCK THEM.

I DONT WANT TAZERED BY MY TELEVISION SET TO BUY SHIT I CANT AFFORD. FUCK THEM.

2. Strummingbabe December 21, 2010 at 3:16 pm #

I DONT WANT TAZERED BY MY TELEVISION SET TO BUY SHIT I CANT AFFORD. FUCK THEM.

3. I. M. Strange December 21, 2010 at 7:41 pm #

When I go to the theater and this happens, I could fall out on the floor, go into convulsions, and when the ambulance gets there I could tell them what I think caused the seizure. I won’t understand why, but my attorney will and he will have evidence from this YouTube video. Then maybe I can afford a BMW after all. Of course I would never own one even if I could afford one.

I. M. Strange

4. I. M. Strange December 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm #

I. M. Strange

5. Andrew December 21, 2010 at 7:45 pm #

So when do they start retooling air raid sirens to broadcast commercials 24/7? And when do traveling salesmen gain the legal right to enter without knocking?

6. Andrew December 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

7. Paul.E.Math December 21, 2010 at 10:42 pm #

Its not a “brand new experience”. Like they said, we can get that same effect from looking at the sun, or staring at a black and white image of jesus and then closing our eyes. The only thing that’s “brand new” is that advertisers are willing to invade more and more of our biology to try and program us to buy their junk. I would be repulsed and feel that my common decency has been violated if a corporate image was flashed on my brain like that – it would discourage me from supporting that company.

8. Paul.E.Math December 21, 2010 at 6:42 pm #

9. Haystack December 21, 2010 at 11:59 pm #

Also, it fucks your wife and reprograms the stations on your car radio.

10. Haystack December 21, 2010 at 7:59 pm #

Also, it fucks your wife and reprograms the stations on your car radio.

• justagirl December 22, 2010 at 11:38 am #

LOL! you’re funny.

11. VoxMagi December 22, 2010 at 2:35 am #

This is nothing…I’ve been awaiting my long ago predicted advertising that leaps from the 3-D interactive monitor and threatens your family with mutilation if you don’t immediately purchase the product of the moment. Aggro advertising is only just beginning to blossom. It doesn’t even take a gift for prophecy to add up the prevailing trends of the last 5 decades and say “Hmm…one of these days, when people get jaded and difficult to motivate…near violence will be required to push them to make purchases.”

12. VoxMagi December 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm #

13. Anonymous December 22, 2010 at 4:07 am #

“666″
    If you are a beast -you will be marked as such….

14. GoodDoktorBad December 22, 2010 at 12:07 am #

“666″
    If you are a beast -you will be marked as such….

15. Gregory December 22, 2010 at 8:53 am #

The companies have been out-magicking the rest of the world for decades now. Yes, this is why some say watching commercials is more interesting than the programming and why people who go to church like the singing more than the sermon.

either you’re a programmer or the programmed.

16. Gregory December 22, 2010 at 12:53 pm #

either you’re a programmer or the programmed.

17. justagirl December 22, 2010 at 3:38 pm #

LOL! you’re funny.

18. CinemaParadiso December 24, 2010 at 3:18 pm #

Selective listening and seeing its all so simple people just tune it out like you tune out the people in your lives ha ha

19. CinemaParadiso December 24, 2010 at 11:18 am #