Michael Moore: Why I’m Posting Bail Money for Julian Assange

Moore / AssangeMichael Moore writes on his blog:

Yesterday, in the Westminster Magistrates Court in London, the lawyers for WikiLeaks co-founder Julian Assange presented to the judge a document from me stating that I have put up $20,000 of my own money to help bail Mr. Assange out of jail.

Furthermore, I am publicly offering the assistance of my website, my servers, my domain names and anything else I can do to keep WikiLeaks alive and thriving as it continues its work to expose the crimes that were concocted in secret and carried out in our name and with our tax dollars.

We were taken to war in Iraq on a lie. Hundreds of thousands are now dead. Just imagine if the men who planned this war crime back in 2002 had had a WikiLeaks to deal with. They might not have been able to pull it off. The only reason they thought they could get away with it was because they had a guaranteed cloak of secrecy. That guarantee has now been ripped from them, and I hope they are never able to operate in secret again.

So why is WikiLeaks, after performing such an important public service, under such vicious attack? Because they have outed and embarrassed those who have covered up the truth. The assault on them has been over the top…

Read More on MichaelMoore.com

, , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to Michael Moore: Why I’m Posting Bail Money for Julian Assange

1. Haystack December 15, 2010 at 4:29 am #

He’s jealous and wants in on the Julian’s glory. For all the noise that Moore has made, he’s never come close to pissing off the establishment like Wikileaks has, and this is a way for him to share some of that press.

Or I’m just really jaded.

2. Haystack December 15, 2010 at 12:29 am #

Or I’m just really jaded.

• Alex December 15, 2010 at 1:41 am #

are you for real mate?! Hes not letting Julian to rot in jail and endure tortures behind close doors with his OWN money, wanna take his place and give, say – 20000$ for the price of truth? If not, please respect someone elses job.

• Haystack December 15, 2010 at 8:42 pm #

Yes, I would gladly take Moore’s place as a wealthy celebrity filmmaker and post bail for Julian Assange. I’d even do it without the self-congratulatory blog post.

• Hadrian999 December 15, 2010 at 1:54 am #

I always think the guy is a total phony, he’s a pure publicity hound, why the need to take credit for the bail money,he isn’t even risking anything he gets the 20k back. If it were some regular joe fronting 20 k i’d be impressed but 20k for a hollywood media whore is a joke.

• dumbsaint December 15, 2010 at 2:43 am #

it was only 1/8th of the bail money, you’d almost think he’d have payed it all the way he presents it. You don’t see John Pilger writing an open letter about his offer to help, and its been there since day one. There’s also hundreds of other people who have offered server space.

That said, I’m sure moores aid is appreciated so good on him.

• Ironaddict06 December 16, 2010 at 11:52 am #

I agree. Moore could have posted the full amount $200,000. And where is the rest of hollywood that rage against the machine?

3. Alex December 15, 2010 at 5:41 am #

4. Alex December 15, 2010 at 5:41 am #

5. Hadrian999 December 15, 2010 at 5:54 am #

6. Anonymous December 15, 2010 at 6:43 am #

1/8th of the bail money. You don’t see John Pilger writing an open letter about his offer to help, and its been there since day one. There’s also hundreds of other people who have offered server space.

That said, I’m sure his aid is appreciated so good on him.

7. D. Ch'an-Moriwaki December 15, 2010 at 7:55 am #

Thank you, Julian Assange, thank you, Michael Moore. Thank you each and both for your nobility of spirit. May your great suffering be mitigated, and may your generosity be magnified . . .

by our collective gratitude ———-

In Love and Good Energy ———-
    D. Ch’an-Moriwaki

8. D. Ch'an-Moriwaki December 15, 2010 at 3:55 am #

by our collective gratitude ———-

In Love and Good Energy ———-
    D. Ch’an-Moriwaki

9. D. Ch'an-Moriwaki December 15, 2010 at 8:01 am #

And gratitude to all those who are helping, supporting, the man and the cause.

10. D. Ch'an-Moriwaki December 15, 2010 at 4:01 am #

And gratitude to all those who are helping, supporting, the man and the cause.

11. 5by5 December 15, 2010 at 1:21 pm #

I think that’s awesome.

12. 5by5 December 15, 2010 at 9:21 am #

I think that’s awesome.

13. kate s December 15, 2010 at 9:03 pm #

Michael Moore is worthy of congrats! He talks the talk AND walks the walk. The more you have the more you have to lose. Abraham Lincoln is reputed to have said: Most men can stand a little adversity, it is the true test of a man to handle power. Long live Wiki!

14. kate s December 15, 2010 at 5:03 pm #