Alabama Governor Tries To Evangelize State

Robert Bentley

Aaron Cynic writes at Diatribe Media:

New Alabama Governor Robert Bentley wants his citizens to be part of his family – his Christian Family.

The Birmingham News reports that in a speech to a crowd at a church where Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was once pastor, Bentley told attendees:

…if you’re a Christian and your saved…It makes you and me brother and sister.” He went on to add “’Now I will have to say that, if we don’t have the same daddy, we’re not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister, and I want to be your brother.”

After some questioned the Governor’s words, his press handler said: “He is the governor of all the people, Christians, non-Christians alike.”

Read the full post at Diatribe Media

37 Comments on "Alabama Governor Tries To Evangelize State"

1. Is that so, Bentley? Because I’m a non-christian, and former Alabamian. I love the state, and I think you can go fuck yourself.

2. Is that so, Bentley? Because I’m a non-christian, and former Alabamian. I love the state, and I think you can go fuck yourself.

3. he looks like a douche bag.

4. he looks like a douche bag.

• Durga_daggr | Jan 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm |

he SOUNDS like a douche bag…

• Is there a male equivalent to “douche bag”? If there is, I want to start using it. How about “He is such a used condom”? Or “he is such a smelly jock-strap”?

They both don’t have the same punch…

5. Durga_daggr | Jan 19, 2011 at 7:47 pm |

he SOUNDS like a douche bag…

6. mrtastycakes | Jan 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm |

He must be a douchebag.

Still, this isn’t a very surprising thing to hear from a baptist giving a speech at a church.

7. mrtastycakes | Jan 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm |

He must be a douchebag.

• aaroncynic | Jan 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm |

It’s not surprising, but it takes chutzpah as a government official: “I’m not saying that you non-Christians are bad, but you’d be a lot better if you converted for me.”

• mrtastycakes | Jan 19, 2011 at 9:43 pm |

It takes chutzpah to be a Christian and a government official. I seem to remember something about Mammon, powers and principalities, the mother of all heresies, etc . . .

8. Other Mr. T | Jan 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm |

This creep looks as phony as vegeterian bologna. Why is it that religious conservative politicians from the South usually turn out to be closeted cross-dressing communist cannibal goatfuckers from planet Pluto?

9. Other Mr. T | Jan 19, 2011 at 4:23 pm |

10. Anonymous | Jan 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm |

11. “You’re”, not “your”.

Don’t journalist get basic grammar anymore?

12. “You’re”, not “your”.

Don’t journalist get basic grammar anymore?

13. Anonymous | Jan 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

He’s telling the literal truth. It’s not called ‘trying’ when you’re ‘succeeding’.

14. Later, when asked if he meant to be insulting to people of other faiths, Bentley said “we’re not trying to insult anybody.”

15. I’m not insulted by him not being my brother.

16. I’m not insulted by him not being my brother.

17. Anonymous | Jan 19, 2011 at 10:34 pm |

Journalists, not journalist

18. Liam_McGonagle | Jan 20, 2011 at 12:57 am |

>Sigh<

And every time we repost or comment on this douchebag he becomes more and more impressed that he's serving a real intellectual and moral challenge to America, instead of showing himself to be an utterly worthless imbecile who can't understand the difference between Bronze Age tribal poetry and scientific fact or the ethics of Enlightenment Era politics.

19. Liam_McGonagle | Jan 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

>Sigh<

20. mrtastycakes | Jan 20, 2011 at 1:43 am |

21. Bud Bundy | Jan 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm |

Little does he know this country was founded without a state dogma for a reason – we don’t have one. All these right wing nuts saying this is a Christian country can go get bent. You’re as legit in this country to be one religion as another, or none.

Don’t even get me started on this Muslim crap. I’m a War on Terror (oil) vet and this crap disgusts me. Change out “Islam” for “Christian” and you have identical rhetoric from alot of groups.

22. Bud Bundy | Jan 20, 2011 at 11:55 am |

• heaven forbid someone points out the text of the treaty of tripoli where they explicitly clarify any pending confusion on whether the USA as a nation founded in Christianity, I haven’t actually heard this debated though, so i am unfamiliar with the fundamentalist right’s boilerplate argument. I think I’ll go look it up now, even though I’m sure it revolves around their obvious beliefs as christian’s.

“As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries”

23. I suppose he can afford to not be subtle now…he’s already in. Which is sad…but nobody outside of the left seems willing to even admit the possibility that evangelicals do not mean well. They are, and have been, exclusionary, violent, hateful, shrill, divisive reactionaries with every intention of furthering the advance of their beliefs through whatever public office they can achieve. They aren’t neutral public servants…they are hardened activists with bias so severe that it colors every part of their judgement on a scale that would put even the most ardent liberal to shame. I never vote for them…ever…and I strongly recommend that people take up ‘looking at the label’ on candidates the way do food in a grocery store. If you see a product with toxic waste in it…you find something else to dine on…if you see a candidate with an overdose of evangelical fanaticism…you don’t vote for them. Period.

24. I suppose he can afford to not be subtle now…he’s already in. Which is sad…but nobody outside of the left seems willing to even admit the possibility that evangelicals do not mean well. They are, and have been, exclusionary, violent, hateful, shrill, divisive reactionaries with every intention of furthering the advance of their beliefs through whatever public office they can achieve. They aren’t neutral public servants…they are hardened activists with bias so severe that it colors every part of their judgement on a scale that would put even the most ardent liberal to shame. I never vote for them…ever…and I strongly recommend that people take up ‘looking at the label’ on candidates the way do food in a grocery store. If you see a product with toxic waste in it…you find something else to dine on…if you see a candidate with an overdose of evangelical fanaticism…you don’t vote for them. Period.

25. heaven forbid someone points out the text of the treaty of tripoli where they explicitly clarify any pending confusion on whether the USA as a nation founded in Christianity, I haven’t actually heard this debated though, so i am unfamiliar with the fundamentalist right’s boilerplate argument. I think I’ll go look it up now, even though I’m sure it revolves around their obvious beliefs as christian’s.

26. heaven forbid someone points out the text of the treaty of tripoli where they explicitly clarify any pending confusion on whether the USA as a nation founded in Christianity, I haven’t actually heard this debated though, so i am unfamiliar with the fundamentalist right’s boilerplate argument. I think I’ll go look it up now, even though I’m sure it revolves around their obvious beliefs as christian’s.

27. Anonymous | Jan 20, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

Pontificating jackass…

28. GoodDoktorBad | Jan 20, 2011 at 7:12 pm |

Pontificating jackass…

29. Anonymous | Jan 20, 2011 at 11:22 pm |

“So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister……”

In other words;
    “You all can go to hell……you go to hell and you die!”

30. GoodDoktorBad | Jan 20, 2011 at 7:22 pm |

In other words;
    “You all can go to hell……you go to hell and you die!”

31. Anonymous | Jan 22, 2011 at 2:31 am |

They both don’t have the same punch…