Canada’s Goldstream River Turned Fluorescent Green

Via Utica Daily News:

The river, which runs through the city of Langford, British Columbia, turned a fluorescent green on Dec. 30, when a passer-by captured stunning video of the verdant waterway.

At first it wasn’t clear what caused the river — and the water in a nearby fountain — to change color. But investigators now believe that the green hue was caused by the addition of fluorescein, a synthetic organic compound that is often used as a dye, or a “fluorescent tracer,” in the testing of water systems.

[Continues at Utica Daily News]

50 Comments on "Canada’s Goldstream River Turned Fluorescent Green"

1. This happened at the Shambhala festival, near Salmo BC last year too when I was there… was probably the same person pulling another prank. Supposedly the dye is non-toxic…. but it definitely freaked out a lot of people!

2. This happened at the Shambhala festival, near Salmo BC last year too when I was there… was probably the same person pulling another prank. Supposedly the dye is non-toxic…. but it definitely freaked out a lot of people!

3. Hadrian999 | Jan 11, 2011 at 10:25 pm |

looks like chicago on st patricks day

4. a synthetic organic compound? that makes sense.

5. a synthetic organic compound? that makes sense.

• Quad-Zilla | Jan 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

It does make sense. You’re thinking of the “organic food” type definition of organic, i think. They don’t mean “all natural”, or without human tampering/intervention.

An “Organic compound” is a compound that contains Carbon.

You can easily have a synthetic organic compound… and that totally makes sense.

• yeah iditot it actually does. Go grab a fucking chemistry book you dumbass

• The first word in a sentance should be capitalized. I believe idiot it spelled with a single t. Also you forgot a period at the end of your sentance. Maybe you should grab an english book. Dumbass.

• Speaking of correct English; | Jan 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm |

Sorry to have to do this, but you brought it on yourself. Sentence. Capitalise English. Commas.

• QuitOverCriticizing | Jan 13, 2011 at 12:09 am |

It is perfectly acceptable to spell “capitalize” with a z in many English-speaking countries.

• Strongbad | Jan 13, 2011 at 12:21 am |

The guy meant “English” should have been capitalized… ouch.

• Yes…it does…
      Such as all your basic polymers like rubbers or plastic..those are synthetic

6. I too was at Shambhala nearl Salmo, when they turned the river green there and caused a big hype about it

This is obviously a publicity stunt by environmental activist(s) in BC, pretty cool!

7. I too was at Shambhala nearl Salmo, when they turned the river green there and caused a big hype about it

8. Quad-Zilla | Jan 12, 2011 at 1:17 am |

We humans drink dyes like this all the time. We add sugar to ours though, and call it Kool Aid. And, as someone mentioned, Chicago has done this to their river many times, and I’m sure it’s the LEAST toxic thing Chicago has done to that river…

I have doubts this would hurt the fish in any meaningful way (unless it has toxic additives; it probably doesn’t)… Maybe green eyes for a day or so… Kinda like our tongues when drinking Ecto-Cooler (anyone remember Ecto-Cooler)??

9. Quad-Zilla | Jan 12, 2011 at 1:17 am |

10. Quad-Zilla | Jan 11, 2011 at 9:17 pm |

11. Quad-Zilla | Jan 12, 2011 at 1:29 am |

An “Organic compound” is a compound that contains Carbon.

You can easily have a synthetic organic compound… and that totally makes sense.

12. StillAtMyMoms | Jan 12, 2011 at 1:31 am |

Didn’t I read and see this in “The Road”?

13. StillAtMyMoms | Jan 11, 2011 at 9:31 pm |

Didn’t I read and see this in “The Road”?

14. somebody dumped floricein

15. somebody dumped floricein

16. yeah iditot it actually does. Go grab a fucking chemistry book you dumbass

17. Simiantongue | Jan 13, 2011 at 12:46 am |

I don’t know what the hell it is but get outta my way I’m going in!!!. What the world needs is a super hero and I sees ma chance! League of Justice here I come!!!

18. Simiantongue | Jan 13, 2011 at 12:46 am |

19. Simiantongue | Jan 12, 2011 at 8:46 pm |

20. Jump in kids!!!

21. Jump in kids!!!

22. The first word in a sentance should be capitalized. I believe idiot it spelled with a single t. Also you forgot a period at the end of your sentance. Maybe you should grab an english book. Dumbass.

23. this river would make a GREAT green screen effect

24. this river would make a GREAT green screen effect

25. this river would make a GREAT green screen effect

26. Speaking of correct English; | Jan 13, 2011 at 3:30 am |

27. QuitOverCriticizing | Jan 13, 2011 at 4:09 am |

28. QuitOverCriticizing | Jan 13, 2011 at 4:09 am |

29. Strongbad | Jan 13, 2011 at 4:21 am |

The guy meant “English” should have been capitalized… ouch.

30. Bahahahaha | Jan 13, 2011 at 4:52 am |

I live literally 5 minutes from this river and was too lazy to go check it out.

31. Bahahahaha | Jan 13, 2011 at 12:52 am |

I live literally 5 minutes from this river and was too lazy to go check it out.

32. go swimmin in it and get superpowers. . .

33. go swimmin in it and get superpowers. . .

34. go swimmin in it and get superpowers. . .

35. go swimmin in it and get superpowers. . .

36. go swimmin in it and get superpowers. . .

37. Yes…it does…
    Such as all your basic polymers like rubbers or plastic..those are synthetic

38. boobookitty | Jan 14, 2011 at 10:27 am |

There is no way someone had enough dye to make a creek that green with the amount of water and distances. But some thing weird and Biological is def going on.

39. boobookitty | Jan 14, 2011 at 6:27 am |

40. It looks like the dye used during World War II as shark repellent. Packages of this stuff were issued on liferafts to put in the water to hopefully keep sharks away.
    I don’t know if it really worked.

41. It looks like the dye used during World War II as shark repellent. Packages of this stuff were issued on liferafts to put in the water to hopefully keep sharks away.
    I don’t know if it really worked.

42. It looks like the dye used during World War II as shark repellent. Packages of this stuff were issued on liferafts to put in the water to hopefully keep sharks away.
    I don’t know if it really worked.