Cocaine Vaccine Could Make Drug Addiction a Distant Memory

ScarfaceInteresting find from Alasdair Wilkins on io9.com:

The first ever vaccine for drug addiction has just been created. By combining a cocaine-like molecule with part of the common cold virus, you get a vaccine that turns the immune system against cocaine, keeping it away from the brain.

So far, the vaccine has only been tested on mice, but the results are extraordinary. Mice given the vaccine no longer exhibited any of the hyperactive signs of a cocaine high when they were next given the drug.

The vaccine was created by taking just the part of the cold virus that alerts the body’s immune system to its presence, and then researchers connected the signalling mechanism to a more stable version of the cocaine molecule.

Read More from Alasdair Wilkins on io9.com

26 Comments on "Cocaine Vaccine Could Make Drug Addiction a Distant Memory"

1. grooveboss | Jan 7, 2011 at 8:14 am |

New cocaine that does not do anything. why not just give them a random cheap white power

2. grooveboss | Jan 7, 2011 at 4:14 am |

3. There is a version on the BBC, it contains more information on the addict’s response to it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3804741.stm

4. There is a version on the BBC, it contains more information on the addict’s response to it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3804741.stm

5. WhiteRose | Jan 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm |

So then your addicted to a vaccine? Or will you become addicted to something worse than coke?

6. WhiteRose | Jan 7, 2011 at 2:04 pm |

7. Michaelthephotog | Jan 7, 2011 at 8:52 pm |

People will just find a new drug. Meth anyone?

8. Michaelthephotog | Jan 7, 2011 at 4:52 pm |

People will just find a new drug. Meth anyone?

9. Sasquatch | Jan 7, 2011 at 10:24 pm |

what happens when an addict given the vaccine tries to get high and does so much coke they od because they dont know how much theyve had. the coke will still affect your body, just not ur brain

10. Sasquatch | Jan 7, 2011 at 6:24 pm |

11. Haystack | Jan 8, 2011 at 1:16 am |

This is very, very bad. If they can do this with cocaine, you can bet that they’ll do it with marijuana and any other substance they want to suppress. And before you know know it, instead of having to take a drugs test to get a job, they’ll just ask you to document that you’ve had your “vaccines.”

12. Haystack | Jan 7, 2011 at 9:16 pm |

13. Anonymous | Jan 8, 2011 at 3:35 am |

Date on that BBC article: June 2004. Nice.

14. richardjohn | Jan 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm |

Date on that BBC article: June 2004. Nice.

15. Theneonheart.com | Jan 8, 2011 at 7:39 am |

Keep your vaccines off my ovaries. I am so high.

16. Theneonheart.com | Jan 8, 2011 at 3:39 am |

Keep your vaccines off my ovaries. I am so high.

17. Theneonheart.com | Jan 8, 2011 at 7:53 am |

I can’t understand this article because I’ve taken the vaccine for it.

18. Theneonheart.com | Jan 8, 2011 at 3:53 am |

I can’t understand this article because I’ve taken the vaccine for it.

19. Too bad addiction is a mental obsession. If anyone was a cocaine addict and received this vaccine after being addicted, it would not ‘cure’ them of anything. It would simply piss a lot of people off. It would be the same as chopping the genitalia off a sex-offender in hopes he will never repeat it again. They will find a way. You can use your imagination here. Someone mentioned another drug, such as methampetamine. Potentially, yes, but I’m willing to bet the risk of suicide will increase. You may be able to kick the effects produced, but to kick the craving? That lies in the individual.

20. Too bad addiction is a mental obsession. If anyone was a cocaine addict and received this vaccine after being addicted, it would not ‘cure’ them of anything. It would simply piss a lot of people off. It would be the same as chopping the genitalia off a sex-offender in hopes he will never repeat it again. They will find a way. You can use your imagination here. Someone mentioned another drug, such as methampetamine. Potentially, yes, but I’m willing to bet the risk of suicide will increase. You may be able to kick the effects produced, but to kick the craving? That lies in the individual.

21. Madjack6565 | Jan 8, 2011 at 2:13 pm |

Heroine cured my cocaine addiction, I do not suggest that others try this method but it worked for me,

22. Madjack6565 | Jan 8, 2011 at 10:13 am |

23. Bhornbuckle75 | Jan 10, 2011 at 4:16 am |

LMAO!!!!

24. AppleDumplingGangBanger | Jan 10, 2011 at 4:42 am |

Interesting…..I’m skeptical about this however….Having developed a bit of an addiction to pain killers myself, I know that if all this does is block the high, then its not enough. Pain killers meds are most commonly based on Opium, not Cocaine. None the less I am fairly certain that cocaine addicts suffer from similiar physical withdrawal symptoms, and this is where the problem lies. Since my experience has been with Pain Pills, Let me share my reasoning, however keep in mind it is based on my experiences with opiate style pain medication, and not cocaine. With the opiate pain meds its not so much the “high” that gets you addicted. This is only what gets you to start to abuse it. Once you have abused it past that invisible tipping point, your body starts to crave it. Actually your body actually starts to not function correctly without it…..and let me tell you…the physical symptoms are quite unbelievable to someone who has never experienced them. If you run out of your pills, its as if every inch of your body starts to scream out at you, warning you that you HAVE to get some more in your system….Its not unlike the feeling you get when you hold your breath for as long as you possibly can….that moment right where you absolutally cannot hold your breath for one more instant and your whole body is painfully screaming at you to take a breath…Yeah…that is pretty much exactly what it feels like. Except it will last for as long as you do not have any in your system. Do you ever wonder why so called “crack-whores” will lie, cheat, steal, ruin their lives, or even willingly humiliate themselves by engaging in any sort of depraved prostitution that their “john” might desire….all for only a few bucks, in order for them to get another crack rock? Its not necessarily because of the “high”…its because the thought of going through withdrawal is far more terrifying than humiliation, jail, disease, rape, or even death. I can understand that. And keep in mind I was only addicted to legal Pain Pills…not some super potent drug like crack, (or if we are talking about opiate based drugs….then Heroine). I have not completely kicked the physical addiction. I have to take Methadone tablets every day to keep the “terror” of withdrawal away. However I never over take them, and at the amount I take, I do not get any sort of “high” at all. In fact I haven’t been “high” from an opiate based drug in probably six or seven years. None the less if I stop taking my Methadone for even one single day, I feel like a dying man…underwater with no access to any air. Luckily that situation has not happened all that often, but if I were put into a position where I felt like that for 2 or 3 days straight….I hesitate to imagine what lengths I could go to, in order to relieve that state of horror I would be in.

25. AppleDumplingGangBanger | Jan 10, 2011 at 12:42 am |