Disinformation: Facebook Will Shut Down On March 15

Facebook logoWhy would anyone believe this, right after Goldman Sachs et al invested $500 Million in Facebook? Especially when the source is the less than reliable but often amusing Weekly World News? As ABC News reports, the rumor is going viral on the web, despite its preposterous nature:

Rumors that Facebook will be shutting down on March 15 have gone viral across the web, causing users to question what will happen to their photos and other content that they have shared on the world’s largest social networking site.

The flurry of online chatter that the Palo Alto, Calif.-based company would shut down its servers comes just days after it had been valued at $50 billion after a $500 million infusion of cash by investment bank Goldman-Sachs.

The story seems to have been perpetuated by supermarket tabloid the Weekly World News, which Saturday published an article headlined “Facebook Will End March 15th!”

“Facebook has gotten out of control and the stress of managing this company has ruined my life,” the tabloid said Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said in a press conference outside his office, “I need to put an end to all the madness.”…

[continues at ABC News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

30 Comments on "Disinformation: Facebook Will Shut Down On March 15"

1. WhiteRose | Jan 10, 2011 at 12:42 am |

On the Ides of March ha ha I doubt it MZ wants everybody in the whole world to have FB

2. WhiteRose | Jan 9, 2011 at 8:42 pm |

3. grooveboss | Jan 10, 2011 at 12:52 am |

im worth more than facebook and so are you

4. grooveboss | Jan 9, 2011 at 8:52 pm |

im worth more than facebook and so are you

5. “what will happen to their photos and other content that they have shared on the world’s largest social networking site.”

You didn’t share them, you GAVE them.

6. “what will happen to their photos and other content that they have shared on the world’s largest social networking site.”

You didn’t share them, you GAVE them.

7. Anonymous | Jan 10, 2011 at 3:10 am |

At first glance I read ‘Disinfomation will shut down Facebook on March 15’. To arms!

8. dumbsaint | Jan 9, 2011 at 11:10 pm |

9. Deutschbag | Jan 10, 2011 at 3:33 am |

I was hoping it was true…..

10. MoralDrift | Jan 9, 2011 at 11:33 pm |

I was hoping it was true…..

11. hmmm but why March 15th ??

12. hmmm but why March 15th ??

13. I’m imagining the millions of man-hours that would be freed up from the dismantling of facebook. Then I begin to wonder if it would be a good thing for facebook addicts to be released from their self-induced prison.

14. I’m imagining the millions of man-hours that would be freed up from the dismantling of facebook. Then I begin to wonder if it would be a good thing for facebook addicts to be released from their self-induced prison.

15. I´m okay with that!

16. I´m okay with that!

17. Anonymous | Jan 10, 2011 at 11:59 am |

Motorcycle Parts

18. allubarbosa | Jan 10, 2011 at 7:59 am |

Motorcycle Parts

19. WhiteRose | Jan 10, 2011 at 3:11 pm |

Though the post office and telephone company beat him to it…

20. Also…Elvis and Bigfoot gay-marry in Canada and now seek to adopt a child to celebrate their love before the coming 2012 apocalypse as predicted by Nostradamus.

21. Also…Elvis and Bigfoot gay-marry in Canada and now seek to adopt a child to celebrate their love before the coming 2012 apocalypse as predicted by Nostradamus.

22. Facebook will be the apocalypse, backup your data with the unloader is facebook. Accounts-> Account Settings-> Download (click on “More Information”) and wait 2 hours and send him your email, then receive your email and will open the unloader facebook links it ask for password (the you supply your facebook), and then delete them completely (you should expect about 14 or 16 days). Facebook’s death comes soon … Who can save your data!

23. Facebook will be the apocalypse, backup your data with the unloader is facebook. Accounts-> Account Settings-> Download (click on “More Information”) and wait 2 hours and send him your email, then receive your email and will open the unloader facebook links it ask for password (the you supply your facebook), and then delete them completely (you should expect about 14 or 16 days). Facebook’s death comes soon … Who can save your data!

24. caeser’s death