Man Demoted For Failing To Pray

prayer-roomReligious discrimination and sexual harassment are, sadly, nothing new to the workplace. When your boss tells you “to attend the prayer meetings or find another position,” getting transferred may be the best opportunity. Unless your personal medical information is leaked to your new co-workers. Courthouse News Service reports:

A BNSF Railway worker claims he was demoted because he declined to join his supervisor in prayer meetings at work. James Dunkin claims his boss proselytized on the job, handed out booklets that contained “instructions for raising ‘masculine sons and feminine daughters,'” and says that when he objected to the coerced prayers, the boss told him that “he needed to attend the prayer meetings or find another position.”

To top it off, Dunkin says that the offensive boss, Jeff Kirby, once “stood in his office with his door open and pants down” staring at him suggestively.

In his federal complaint in Kansas City, Kan., Dunkin says that after BNSF transferred him unfairly, he was tormented by his new co-workers because the company had leaked personal medical information about him.

[Continues at Courthouse News Service]

26 Comments on "Man Demoted For Failing To Pray"

1. Anonymous | Jan 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |

I wish something like that would happen to me… I’d sue the hell out of `em and wind up owning the place! hehe

2. Anonymous | Jan 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |

3. Anonymous | Jan 20, 2011 at 6:18 pm |

4. Rex Vestri | Jan 20, 2011 at 2:18 pm |

5. Damn…no one pulls off ‘creepy freaky’ like the jesus crispies. I’d love to come up with a cogent, eloquent narrative highlighting the faults and foibles of Xians…but I can’t really imagine anything more damaging to them than their own conduct.

6. Damn…no one pulls off ‘creepy freaky’ like the jesus crispies. I’d love to come up with a cogent, eloquent narrative highlighting the faults and foibles of Xians…but I can’t really imagine anything more damaging to them than their own conduct.

• And another christian who would make Jesus himself prefer the company of atheists and his old enemies the pharasees.

7. My husband worked for an international company with a centre in Utah. Even though the company had no religious bias, my husband and others who were not LDS were repeatedly passed for promotion, subjected to LDS propaganda and belittled for any food, habit or expressed belief that did not fall in line with the LDS church. Thankfully he transferred to another state and while it was in the middle of the Bible Belt, promotion was not based on church attendance. Too bad people don’t believe these kinds of things really happen in the United States.

8. My husband worked for an international company with a centre in Utah. Even though the company had no religious bias, my husband and others who were not LDS were repeatedly passed for promotion, subjected to LDS propaganda and belittled for any food, habit or expressed belief that did not fall in line with the LDS church. Thankfully he transferred to another state and while it was in the middle of the Bible Belt, promotion was not based on church attendance. Too bad people don’t believe these kinds of things really happen in the United States.

9. grooveboss | Jan 20, 2011 at 9:17 pm |

well pray to god for it to happen. the bible pushers can smell prayers

10. Anonymous | Jan 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm |

Pray -Bitches!!

11. GoodDoktorBad | Jan 20, 2011 at 6:54 pm |

Pray -Bitches!!

12. >sigh< Boss refused worker promotion for not praying, passed out handbooks on how to raise "masculine" boys and "feminine" daughters, then stood in the worker's office door with his pants down and appeared "suggestive." What is this? The Christian Triad? I don't wish to bash on anyone's faith, however, these people are too predictable. Seriously, what is with the latent homosexuality in Christianity? Is it because they worship a male figure? Original sin? I'm stunned as to how this is so prevalent.

13. >sigh< Boss refused worker promotion for not praying, passed out handbooks on how to raise "masculine" boys and "feminine" daughters, then stood in the worker's office door with his pants down and appeared "suggestive." What is this? The Christian Triad? I don't wish to bash on anyone's faith, however, these people are too predictable. Seriously, what is with the latent homosexuality in Christianity? Is it because they worship a male figure? Original sin? I'm stunned as to how this is so prevalent.

14. Return of the repressed. Happens all the time.

15. WhiteRose | Jan 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm |

They made those padded rooms at the hospital to protect me from idiots like this…

16. WhiteRose | Jan 21, 2011 at 8:59 am |

17. A_johnson2334 | Jan 21, 2011 at 4:04 pm |

what a crock of religious shit.

18. A_johnson2334 | Jan 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm |

what a crock of religious shit.

19. Words fail me. First world country? Only if they deal with maniacs like this, pronto. How long before this kind of thinking hampers America’s ability to produce world-class engineers, scientists, etc?

20. Words fail me. First world country? Only if they deal with maniacs like this, pronto. How long before this kind of thinking hampers America’s ability to produce world-class engineers, scientists, etc?

21. David Frost | Jan 27, 2011 at 8:42 am |

I’ve never had a boss like this. Most of the ones I’ve have were the rich kids that never had to do anything and spent their college years tore up drunk in frat houses at night while while playing sports during the day. I even heard one bragging hard one time about screwing two hookers at the same time on his last vacation in Vegas. Maybe this isn’t the best way to look at it…but I’d trade places with this guy any day.

22. David Frost | Jan 27, 2011 at 4:42 am |