Real-Life Superhero Prevents Seattle Carjacking

A dorky but effective way to fight crime? A Seattle-area man was being carjacked when a local “superhero” named Phoenix Jones intervened to chase off the criminal. Jones is a part of a crime-fighting unit called the Rain City Superheros and keeps his true identity hidden, transforming into his alter-ego each night in the back of a comic store.

40 Comments on "Real-Life Superhero Prevents Seattle Carjacking"

1. Anonymous | Jan 6, 2011 at 11:59 pm |

Nice “secret” lair you just allowed to be broadcast hero. Ahh I’m just jealous. I’d never pull off a rubber suit like this guy.

2. dumbsaint | Jan 6, 2011 at 7:59 pm |

• Hadrian999 | Jan 6, 2011 at 9:35 pm |

at least he’s smart enough to use body armor but i don’t know how effective that tazer stick is

• Tuna Ghost | Jan 7, 2011 at 5:03 am |

the legality of using that on people he suspects are criminals is also a bit fishy

• Butter Knife | Jan 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm |

Indeed, we live in a true State, where the government holds a monopoly on the legitimate use of violence. vigilantism is, in fact, itself a crime.

• Tuna Ghost | Jan 9, 2011 at 5:52 am |

I’m okay with the idea that someone in a superhero costume is legally prohibited from tazing me because he thinks I’m a criminal

3. Hadrian999 | Jan 7, 2011 at 1:35 am |

4. Anonymous | Jan 7, 2011 at 2:08 am |

Kick-Ass irl.

5. Anonymous | Jan 6, 2011 at 10:08 pm |

Kick-Ass irl.

6. Haystack | Jan 7, 2011 at 3:47 am |

I’d like to see a comic book about a guy like this.

7. I’d like to see a comic book about a guy like this.

8. toxiczen | Jan 7, 2011 at 4:11 am |

well now someones gonna jump him on a dare if nothing else…

9. well now someones gonna jump him on a dare if nothing else…

10. Anonymous | Jan 7, 2011 at 5:15 am |

When one looks for trouble -one usually finds it….

11. GoodDoktorBad | Jan 7, 2011 at 1:15 am |

When one looks for trouble -one usually finds it….

12. Tuna Ghost | Jan 7, 2011 at 9:03 am |

13. Butter Knife | Jan 7, 2011 at 9:24 pm |

It’s like they discovered Kick-Ass and The Watchmen, but never actually got all the way through them before deciding “ZOMG GRATE IDIA I SHUD DOO THAT 2!” and excitedly making a costume… so rather than read the endings or think it through all the way, they’re going to put themselves into a really horrible situation.

Kind of like the Guardian Angels, actually, and we all know how popular those guys are…

14. Butter Knife | Jan 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm |

15. Butter Knife | Jan 7, 2011 at 9:25 pm |

16. “Watchmen” made it pretty clear that masked hero/vigilante justice ultimately leads to disaster. Surprised this guy, being so influenced by the world of comic lore (not to mention having a lair in a comic book store), seems to have completely overlooked Alan Moore’s point, considering it was one of the central themes in Watchmen (and I doubt this guy is unfamiliar with the graphic novel). Even if you just think about it critically you’ll easily come to the same conclusions, which evidently he did not.
    For these guys it seems It’s just an e-penis boost. But it is entertaining, at the very least.

17. “Watchmen” made it pretty clear that masked hero/vigilante justice ultimately leads to disaster. Surprised this guy, being so influenced by the world of comic lore (not to mention having a lair in a comic book store), seems to have completely overlooked Alan Moore’s point, considering it was one of the central themes in Watchmen (and I doubt this guy is unfamiliar with the graphic novel). Even if you just think about it critically you’ll easily come to the same conclusions, which evidently he did not.

• Hadrian999 | Jan 7, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

not every comic geek thinks alan moore is god, many of them just think he is an ego maniacal drama queen with a discount from hot topic

• dumbsaint | Jan 8, 2011 at 3:12 am |

Jason Aaron pretty much sums it up: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=30200

I still like the guy, even if I disagree with him. I think a lot of it is an act, and it’s a pretty common one. Warren Ellis, Morrison, Miller, even Eisner have all done it. Moore hasn’t done anything of note in years yet his antics have people talking about him all the time.

That said, comic fans should read Watchmen at some point, it’s the comic world’s Star Wars in that it irreversibly changed the nature of it’s medium.

• Hadrian999 | Jan 8, 2011 at 4:52 am |

personally I would recommend Promethea over watchmen, it’s the only thing he’s done in quite some time that hasn’t been a rehashing of pulp era lit.

• dumbsaint | Jan 8, 2011 at 10:23 am |

I didn’t mind the first trade but haven’t ventured much past that. I might have to give it another go. I think he did a new LXG recently. I haven’t bothered yet though the earlier ones were probably what I enjoyed most from him.

• Hadrian999 | Jan 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm |

the LXG stuff is enjoyable, just kind of funny when he goes off on one of his “everybody but me is uncreative, unoriginal and derivative” rants then puts out stuff like LXG and tom strong

• dumbsaint | Jan 8, 2011 at 2:56 am |

He’s right. This will lead to a giant mutant squid in the middle of Seattle.

18. Stonygiant | Jan 8, 2011 at 12:05 am |

yalls pussies doesnt matter how ur dressin as long as yo kikin ass ! no matter the means we people gotta take a stance for whats right so we can stomp out this corruption

19. Stonygiant | Jan 7, 2011 at 8:05 pm |

20. Hadrian999 | Jan 8, 2011 at 2:16 am |

21. Anonymous | Jan 8, 2011 at 6:56 am |

He’s right. This will lead to a giant mutant squid in the middle of Seattle.

22. Anonymous | Jan 8, 2011 at 7:12 am |

23. Hadrian999 | Jan 8, 2011 at 8:52 am |

24. Liberal Atheist Combat Veteran | Jan 8, 2011 at 11:35 am |

Makes me want to don a pair of black BDUs with red stars adorning the shoulders, ski mask and Che beret and take over wall street.

But who am I kidding, speaking out against those crooks is TERRORISM!

25. Liberal Atheist Combat Veteran | Jan 8, 2011 at 7:35 am |

But who am I kidding, speaking out against those crooks is TERRORISM!

26. Anonymous | Jan 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm |

27. Hadrian999 | Jan 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm |

28. Tuna Ghost | Jan 9, 2011 at 9:52 am |

29. This guy is living the dream as far as I’m concerned. Long live Phoenix Jones!

30. This guy is living the dream as far as I’m concerned. Long live Phoenix Jones!