Taco Bell ‘Meat’ Contains Only 35% Beef

Taco Bell in Wausau, Wisconsin

Fox News reports:

You’ll have to pardon the puns, but…

Taco Bell might want to change it’s “Think Outside the Bun” campaign to “What’s Really in That Taco?” after a class-action lawsuit filed against the fast-food giant claimed its taco filler doesn’t, um, “meat” federal standards.

The suit against the YUM-brands chain also has a “beef” with the company’s advertising, charging its claims of using “seasoned ground beef” or “seasoned beef” in its food products is false.

According to the suit filed by the Alabama law firm Beasley, Allen, Crow, Methvin, Portis & Miles, the YUM-brands owned chain is using a meat mixture that contains binders and extenders, and does not meet the minimum requirements set by the U.S. Department of Agriculture to be labeled as “beef.”

Attorney Dee Miles said the meat mixture contained just 35 percent beef, with the remaining 65 percent containing water, wheat oats, soy lecithin, maltodrextrin, anti-dusting agent and modified corn starch…

For more information, see original article.

68 Comments on "Taco Bell ‘Meat’ Contains Only 35% Beef"

1. Ironaddict06 | Jan 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm |

This might be breaking news for some people? Finally this information is in the public domain. Now think of the millions of people that live on Taco Bell and other fast foods, and now think of the millions of parents that feed their children fast food daily. You are putting crap in your body and your children.

2. Ironaddict06 | Jan 26, 2011 at 11:34 am |

3. This is my surprised face: ·_·

4. This is my surprised face: ·_·

5. This is my surprised face: ·_·

6. This is my surprised face: ·_·

7. This is my surprised face: ·_·

8. DeepCough | Jan 26, 2011 at 4:16 pm |

For a 99-cent price tag, you should be lucky that it’s 35% beef.

9. DeepCough | Jan 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm |

For a 99-cent price tag, you should be lucky that it’s 35% beef.

• Crappy McFarter | Jan 26, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

Repeat after me kids: “taco truck’s better than taco bell”,”taco truck’s better than taco bell”,”taco truck’s better than taco bell”,”taco truck’s better than taco bell”,etc.

10. mrtastycakes | Jan 26, 2011 at 4:19 pm |

It’s funny, because Taco Bell is one of the “healthiest” fast food joints.

11. mrtastycakes | Jan 26, 2011 at 12:19 pm |

It’s funny, because Taco Bell is one of the “healthiest” fast food joints.

• And closer to vegetarian than people think, as well…:)

• mrtastycakes | Jan 27, 2011 at 9:33 am |

Which is good. If I want fast food during days of abstinence, there’s nowhere else to go but Taco Bell. During Lent, they have a separate menu pointing out the vegetarian items (but not the reason why, of course).

• clockwize100 | Mar 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm |

I really like your comment.

12. Anonymous | Jan 26, 2011 at 5:19 pm |

Perhaps it really contains Soylent Green?

13. Rex Vestri | Jan 26, 2011 at 1:19 pm |

Perhaps it really contains Soylent Green?

14. This is a bad thing?

So many people regularly eat corporate “food” (in and) out of their homes, do we really care if they can’t tell the difference between what’s served at a restaurant (because it isn’t just fast food places that sell this kind of stuff) and real beef? If they’re happy with their own choices, why do we care what if they’re eating less beef and more corn and soy derived products?

People need to slow down, go home, cook whole foods (whether from Walmart or the chain that bears that name) for themselves, and eat meals with their family and friends.

15. This is a bad thing?

16. Crappy McFarter | Jan 26, 2011 at 6:48 pm |

17. paullootens | Jan 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm |

plant a freaking garden already people! damn! :/

18. paullootens | Jan 26, 2011 at 4:01 pm |

plant a freaking garden already people! damn! :/

19. DaisyChain | Jan 26, 2011 at 8:50 pm |

I don’t understand why this is a bad thing. If it’s supposedly cheaper to use less meat in the product, why not just cut out the meat all together and save in the long run from less medical expenses due to heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.? Wheat has a pretty high level of protein already, as well as other vital nutrients. I would certainly leave out the weird shit like “anti-dusting agent” though.

Plus, it would be more sustainable. Make wheat-meat out of the grain they would have fed to the cows, thereby eliminating the need for the land, transportation, etc. the cows use up, which makes the entire process of feeding us delicious burritos more sustainable.

But of course this will never happen because cattle ranchers will instantly start screaming, “OMGZ HOW DARE U TRY TO TAKE MAH JORB!!! YOU NEED TO EAT ALL TEH BEEF EVAR!!!” because they don’t want to be creative enough to find a better way to do things. You know, kind of how the energy companies don’t want to be creative enough to find alternatives to oil and coal and such.

20. DaisyChain | Jan 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm |

21. Taco BHell uses Silicon Dioxide as an extender~ otherwise known as powdered sand.
    Do yr own research about the ‘beef’.

22. Taco BHell uses Silicon Dioxide as an extender~ otherwise known as powdered sand.
    Do yr own research about the ‘beef’.

• mrtastycakes | Jan 27, 2011 at 9:28 am |

Silicon dioxide is not necessarily powdered sand. It’s in fruits, veggies, whole grains, and hopefully your multivitamin. It’s basically in everything, because it’s a mineral that your body needs. Sand is just the most common silica.

23. is this supposed to bother me?

24. is this supposed to bother me?

25. I don’t know if any of yous ever tried that Soyrizo stuff. It’s DAMN good, in fact, when prepared the right way, it’s fantastic. Regardless, I prefer it to chorizo. I don’t see why they can’t just make a soy product that tastes like meat, and offer it on the menu. Preferably not a substitute that will induce severe diarreah explosions that splatter all over the sides of my toilet bowl that dries and penetrates the surface so deep within 24 hours that not even Comet will get it out.

26. I don’t know if any of yous ever tried that Soyrizo stuff. It’s DAMN good, in fact, when prepared the right way, it’s fantastic. Regardless, I prefer it to chorizo. I don’t see why they can’t just make a soy product that tastes like meat, and offer it on the menu. Preferably not a substitute that will induce severe diarreah explosions that splatter all over the sides of my toilet bowl that dries and penetrates the surface so deep within 24 hours that not even Comet will get it out.

27. I really don’t care what’s in that meat. It’s GOOD, and my eating habits are nobody else’s business. No, I don’t think it is healthy for anyone to eat any kind of fast food on a regular basis, but sometimes one just wants to eat something to fulfill the feeling of hunger and not worry about cooking. Especially, if you’re like me and enjoy cooking, so it has to have this long process of foreplay/preparation that goes along with it. I’m pretty sure everyone is aware by now the hazards of fast food. We aren’t informing any newcomers here. It’s a personal choice. Other than that, I heard/read elsewhere that a former employee was pursuing this case. Not sure, but I know there has to be a group of folks for it to be considered class action. Regardless, I remember when I originally heard this story, it sounded like ‘personal vendetta’ to me. And… Didn’t this happen in the 90s too? Not this exact case, but where it was speculated the “meat” that was used wasn’t real meat? And of course there was the myth floating around that Taco Bell meat was actually “roach eggs.” Was I the only one that heard this? Just one of those gross-out stories people would tell years ago.

28. I really don’t care what’s in that meat. It’s GOOD, and my eating habits are nobody else’s business. No, I don’t think it is healthy for anyone to eat any kind of fast food on a regular basis, but sometimes one just wants to eat something to fulfill the feeling of hunger and not worry about cooking. Especially, if you’re like me and enjoy cooking, so it has to have this long process of foreplay/preparation that goes along with it. I’m pretty sure everyone is aware by now the hazards of fast food. We aren’t informing any newcomers here. It’s a personal choice. Other than that, I heard/read elsewhere that a former employee was pursuing this case. Not sure, but I know there has to be a group of folks for it to be considered class action. Regardless, I remember when I originally heard this story, it sounded like ‘personal vendetta’ to me. And… Didn’t this happen in the 90s too? Not this exact case, but where it was speculated the “meat” that was used wasn’t real meat? And of course there was the myth floating around that Taco Bell meat was actually “roach eggs.” Was I the only one that heard this? Just one of those gross-out stories people would tell years ago.

29. ugh!!!

30. ugh!!!

31. And closer to vegetarian than people think, as well…:)

32. Anonymous | Jan 27, 2011 at 7:58 am |

Want to poison yourself with crap food, then that’s your choice, oh wait, it’s not your choice, you do no get to choose, you are lied to. Want to eat healthier and that should be your choice and you should be able to make that choice based upon upfront information.
    Taco bell, make the refund the full value of the beef stolen from consumers, some to the lawyers and the rest to national charities. Oh, yeah and send those corporate executives involved in the fraud to prison for a change.

33. Lie, cheat, steal, the nature of corporations. False product advertising. lying about what is being sold and poisoning those with allergens in hidden product components.

34. David Frost | Jan 27, 2011 at 9:35 am |

The reason it is probably one of the healthiest fast food restaurants is because of the low percentage of beef. Being a vegan I think that if more fast food joints followed this example then we wouldn’t have the level of obesity that we do. Technically I’m not on Taco Bells side, but that is corporate way of cutting costs that actually works out to a positive end, most of the other “big ideas” corporations come up with aren’t quiet as beneficial.

35. David Frost | Jan 27, 2011 at 5:35 am |

36. mrtastycakes | Jan 27, 2011 at 1:28 pm |

37. mrtastycakes | Jan 27, 2011 at 1:33 pm |

38. This story makes me think of the Buffy tVS Episode where she’s forced to work at Doublemeat Palace and discovers that the “Secret Ingredient” in the burgers is… meat.

39. This story makes me think of the Buffy tVS Episode where she’s forced to work at Doublemeat Palace and discovers that the “Secret Ingredient” in the burgers is… meat.

40. Clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:39 am |

Only sware on bad websites

41. Clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:41 am |

Get a better & more apropiate name

42. clockwize | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:42 am |

I don’t know

43. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:43 am |

Do you know

44. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:43 am |

Do you know

45. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:45 am |

You’re REALLY RIGHT!

46. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:46 am |

That’s dang right!

47. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:47 am |

Doode please don’t sware on good websites

48. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:49 am |

Hey it ain’t Taco Bell, its “Taco HELL”

49. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:50 am |

Get a less scary picture

50. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:52 am |

Sorry I know I swared.

51. clockwize100 | Mar 2, 2011 at 11:52 pm |

Sorry I know I swared.

52. clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:54 am |

I really like your comment.

53. Clockwize100 | Mar 3, 2011 at 3:57 am |