‘Skin Gun’ Heals Wounds By Spraying Living Skin Cells

Via National Geographic, an in-action look at a revolutionary “skin gun” that can heal burn victims in minutes. The device sprays skin cells in airbrush-like fashion, allowing for new layers of skin to be painted on. In a few decades, will this be a standard device in any emergency technician’s tool belt?

58 Comments on "‘Skin Gun’ Heals Wounds By Spraying Living Skin Cells"

1. Anonymous | Feb 7, 2011 at 9:29 pm |

VERY CLASSY NG, VERY CLASSY.

2. dextronaut | Feb 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm |

VERY CLASSY NG, VERY CLASSY.

3. This is science at its finest. Nothing give me a happy like seeing a genuine sliver of progress.

4. This is science at its finest. Nothing give me a happy like seeing a genuine sliver of progress.

5. This is science at its finest. Nothing give me a happy like seeing a genuine sliver of progress.

6. How long before the Pharma companies demonize this until it disappears I wonder…

7. How long before the Pharma companies demonize this until it disappears I wonder…

8. soy sauce

9. soy sauce

10. soy sauce

11. Thisistoast | Feb 8, 2011 at 6:46 am |

Blocked in my country.

12. Thisistoast | Feb 8, 2011 at 2:46 am |

Blocked in my country.

13. Thejackmfk | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:01 am |

the man talks about his right side being burned but the burnt hand is a lefty

14. Thejackmfk | Feb 8, 2011 at 3:01 am |

the man talks about his right side being burned but the burnt hand is a lefty

• If you listen, the voiceover says “This is what a second degree burn looks like” and then “This is what Urim’s skin probably looked like.” It’s meant as an example, mate, not his actual hand.

• Boozerpea | Feb 8, 2011 at 3:15 am |

I noticed the same thing, but listen to the narrator — “This is what a second degree burn looks like.” He doesn’t claim it is a picture of the man in the video.

• Quieteater | Feb 8, 2011 at 3:16 am |

That is an example of what a second degree burn looks like, not the victims burn.

15. I think that’s incredible but I was hoping they would show the gun being used on someone and the healing process on camera. Oh well

16. I think that’s incredible but I was hoping they would show the gun being used on someone and the healing process on camera. Oh well

17. If you listen, the voiceover says “This is what a second degree burn looks like” and then “This is what Urim’s skin probably looked like.” It’s meant as an example, mate, not his actual hand.

18. Boozerpea | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:15 am |

19. Quieteater | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:16 am |

20. Quieteater | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:21 am |

This may be a major medical breakthrough, but honestly I would like to see more stories like this with detailed medical reports before I call it a breakthrough. I say this because the victims burns were not shown, examples were. The victims burns could have been less extensive than the example, and even without this treatment, could have been a fast recovery.

21. Quieteater | Feb 8, 2011 at 3:21 am |

22. KewGardensNYC | Feb 8, 2011 at 10:55 am |

Truly wonderful. We are on the edge of a series of major breakthroughs in all areas of medicine and health, but of course, the issues of how to live a good life still remain. And notice the accent of the inventor–not from Cleveland.
    Bush’s policies have driven out foreigners from applying to American schools and thus enriching our intellectual bounty. And the US has cut back R&D to a ridiculous degree.

23. KewGardensNYC | Feb 8, 2011 at 6:55 am |

24. Blocked in my country, companies suck. Its no wonder piracy is so popular 😉

25. this video contains content from national geographics, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

26. This is amazing. And like KewGardensNYC said, the U.S. has had significant decreases in R&D for everything except military studies–because they have tons of money!

For those who can’t watch the video, I recommend Hotspot Shield (http://hotspotshield.com/). It anonymizes your IP address, so most sites can’t tell what country you’re in. (It creates some pop-up ads, which are annoying. But you can simply turn it on and off as needed.)

27. This is amazing. And like KewGardensNYC said, the U.S. has had significant decreases in R&D for everything except military studies–because they have tons of money!

28. This video contains content from National Geographic, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

29. This video contains content from National Geographic, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

30. Haney72003 | Feb 8, 2011 at 11:05 pm |

What they fail to mention, except for one time at the very end of the video, is that this is possible through stem cells. It kinda sounds like the narrator says “skin cells,” but no, it’s stem cells. My question is, if a treatment like this were available to you, would YOU use it, knowing that? I wouldn’t.

31. Haney72003 | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:05 pm |

• Maureenjulia | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:12 pm |

There are stem cells in skin. Those are the cells to which they are referring, not to the ones taken from the womb.

• Of course I would! It’s using your own skin to repair your own skin! What could you possibly see wrong with that?

• Haney, you should become at least moderately informed about stem cells. I am 100% embryonic stem cells as I am sure you are. But you can pull adult stem cells from your skin. Your own adult skin, and then use it yourself.

no babies are harmed in the making of this comment…. or adult stem cell use

• These are the patient’s own ADULT stem cells, not the embryonic stem cells that you are thinking of that are the topic of controversy. We all have stem cells in our body that can be used to treat potential illnesses.

32. Maureenjulia | Feb 8, 2011 at 11:12 pm |

33. Of course I would! It’s using your own skin to repair your own skin! What could you possibly see wrong with that?

34. Haney, you should become at least moderately informed about stem cells. I am 100% embryonic stem cells as I am sure you are. But you can pull adult stem cells from your skin. Your own adult skin, and then use it yourself.

no babies are harmed in the making of this comment…. or adult stem cell use

35. Cheshire | Feb 9, 2011 at 1:44 am |

“Skin Gun” is an excellent band name.

36. Cheshire | Feb 8, 2011 at 9:44 pm |

“Skin Gun” is an excellent band name.

37. i guess that’s why they don’t call it international geographic. blocked.

38. i guess that’s why they don’t call it international geographic. blocked.

39. theworstkind | Feb 9, 2011 at 2:33 am |

i always celebrate the 5th of july.

40. theworstkind | Feb 8, 2011 at 10:33 pm |

i always celebrate the 5th of july.

41. These are the patient’s own ADULT stem cells, not the embryonic stem cells that you are thinking of that are the topic of controversy. We all have stem cells in our body that can be used to treat potential illnesses.

42. Anonymous | Feb 9, 2011 at 6:46 am |

yeah I noticed that too and was like WTF

43. Hotspot Shield (http://hotspotshield.com/) anonymizes your IP address. It should allow you to watch such videos.

44. Rginathens | Feb 10, 2011 at 3:31 am |

I’m glad they came out with this, I have so many second degree burns on my man meat that a gun like this would deff be the cure for my jack heat.

45. Rginathens | Feb 9, 2011 at 11:31 pm |