Catholic Church Approves iPhone Confessions

Original Photo: Jean-Pol Grandmont

Original Photo: Jean-Pol Grandmont

You can now reach God via your iPhone. BBC News reports:

The Catholic Church has approved an iPhone app that helps guide worshippers through confession.

The Confession program has gone on sale through iTunes for £1.19 ($1.99).

Described as “the perfect aid for every penitent”, it offers users tips and guidelines to help them with the sacrament.

Now senior church officials in both the UK and US have given it their seal of approval, in what is thought to be a first.

The app takes users through the sacrament – in which Catholics admit their wrongdoings – and allows them to keep track of their sins.

It also allows them to examine their conscience based on personalised factors such as age, sex and marital status – but it is not intended to replace traditional confession entirely.

[Continues BBC News]

19 Comments on "Catholic Church Approves iPhone Confessions"

1. justagirl | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm |

how many gigs does that thing hold??

2. justagirl | Feb 8, 2011 at 3:54 pm |

how many gigs does that thing hold??

3. Child of the Lord | Feb 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm |

I sent a confession and the priest replied “go on”, then I told him more and he said “go on, I’m almost there, just a little more then you can be forgiven.” I corrected the spelling though. His was terrible. Maybe his hands were busy. Cleaning the church or baking a cake maybe.

4. Child of the Lord | Feb 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm |

• Simiantongue | Feb 8, 2011 at 11:18 pm |

Not cake, they’re crackers. And they’re made of Soylent Green… I think. Or maybe I heard it was blood and flesh and what not. I get my fictions mixed up sometimes.

5. Anonymous | Feb 8, 2011 at 11:31 pm |

I confess, I don’t give a crap what the Catholic church approves of…..

6. GoodDoktorBad | Feb 8, 2011 at 7:31 pm |

I confess, I don’t give a crap what the Catholic church approves of…..

7. Simiantongue | Feb 9, 2011 at 3:14 am |

Saw this coming actually. What would be really wild is a Spanish Inquisition app, I’d never expect that.

8. Simiantongue | Feb 9, 2011 at 3:14 am |

9. Simiantongue | Feb 8, 2011 at 11:14 pm |

10. Simiantongue | Feb 9, 2011 at 3:18 am |

11. Fitzhamilton | Feb 9, 2011 at 4:01 am |

The app doesn’t replace anything. It’s just a tool for examining your conscience. The lede on the story is distortion, static, sensationalized. The only way you can ever confess sacramentally is now as it has ever been and will be until the end of time: like all the sacraments always physically, in and through the priesthood of Christ.

Be careful what you believe. Be careful what you wish for. You will get it.

12. Fitzhamilton | Feb 9, 2011 at 12:01 am |

Be careful what you believe. Be careful what you wish for. You will get it.

13. Liam_McGonagle | Feb 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm |

Okay, show of hands here: How many people think this is really a ploy to get people to put incriminating information online and feed a Vatican-funded blackmail machine? After all, in recent years the hierarchy’s proven much more effective in handling scandals than building moral authority.

Keep in mind, Mother Church has some very serious bills to pay . . .

14. Liam_McGonagle | Feb 9, 2011 at 12:32 pm |

Keep in mind, Mother Church has some very serious bills to pay . . .

15. Liam_McGonagle | Feb 9, 2011 at 4:33 pm |

P.S. Don’t bother to actually raise your hands. I couldn’t see them through the interwebs anyways.