George W. Bush Cancels Swiss Trip To Avoid Prosecution For Torture

Mr. Blair (left) and Mr. Bush

Mr. Blair (left) and Mr. Bush

There was a British television drama a few years ago that had ex-Prime Minister Tony Blair being sent for war crimes prosecution at the International Criminal Court in the Hague. Apparently ex-President George W. Bush doesn’t think that’s so far-fetched and is avoiding Switzerland for fear of being arrested, according to Reuters:

Former President George W. Bush has canceled a visit to Switzerland, where he was to address a Jewish charity gala, due to the risk of legal action against him for alleged torture, rights groups said on Saturday.

Bush was to be the keynote speaker at Keren Hayesod’s annual dinner on February 12 in Geneva. But pressure has been building on the Swiss government to arrest him and open a criminal investigation if he enters the Alpine country.

Criminal complaints against Bush alleging torture have been lodged in Geneva, court officials say.

Human rights groups said they had intended to submit a 2,500-page case against Bush in the Swiss city on Monday for alleged mistreatment of suspected militants at Guantanamo Bay, the U.S. naval base in Cuba where captives from Afghanistan, Iraq and other fronts in the so-called War on Terror were interned…

[continues at Reuters]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

16 Comments on "George W. Bush Cancels Swiss Trip To Avoid Prosecution For Torture"

1. Anonymous | Feb 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm |

It’s a shame we don’t prosecute that BASTARD right here in the US for the long list of things he’s done.

2. Rex Vestri | Feb 6, 2011 at 11:15 am |

• At least teh rest of the world is making sure he never forgets that he’s a war criminal. He presided over the opening of a Pandora’s Box of SH*T…and even if half the US applauds him…the rest of the world still remembers. I hope he lives a very long life…never traveling and always remembering why he can’t.

3. At least teh rest of the world is making sure he never forgets that he’s a war criminal. He presided over the opening of a Pandora’s Box of SH*T…and even if half the US applauds him…the rest of the world still remembers. I hope he lives a very long life…never traveling and always remembering why he can’t.

4. Must be hiding from something

5. Must be hiding from something

6. Haystack | Feb 6, 2011 at 6:57 pm |

Now, if there were just some way we could get him extradited to Switzerland on some trumped up sex charge…

7. Haystack | Feb 6, 2011 at 2:57 pm |

8. Good one! :o)

9. NadePaulKuciGravMcKi | Feb 7, 2011 at 1:26 am |

Blood Money Tour Cancelled
    veterans today
    gordon duff

10. NadePaulKuciGravMcKi | Feb 6, 2011 at 9:26 pm |

Blood Money Tour Cancelled
    veterans today
    gordon duff

11. Undeadbard | Feb 7, 2011 at 5:26 am |

I can sum my feeling up about this in one word: w00t!

12. Undeadbard | Feb 7, 2011 at 1:26 am |

I can sum my feeling up about this in one word: w00t!

13. Brooke Phd | Feb 11, 2011 at 8:15 pm |

Dubya needs to be prosecuted for the tortures and every thing he has done to F up the USA. Maybe string him up by his balls and we can all throw darts at him. Oh I forgot he has no balls. Remember the worst thing that has happened to him he was called a racist by a Black male singer. I believe in “What goes around comes around” he’ll get his! Hope I’m still alive to see it! Can’t wait! I love justice!

14. Brooke Phd | Feb 11, 2011 at 4:15 pm |