Jeffrey CoxCNN reports:

An Indiana deputy attorney general lost his job Wednesday after commenting online that authorities should use “live ammunition” to run off the throngs of protesters railing over union collective bargaining rights two states away in Wisconsin.

The former state prosecutor, Jeffrey Cox, attached the comment “Use Live Ammunition” in response to a Feb. 19 Twitter posting by a writer for Mother Jones magazine. The writer, Adam Weinstein, wrote that riot police officers had been ordered to clear protesters from the Wisconsin state capitol in Madison.

The rumored 2 a.m. Sunday expulsion of protesters in Madison never happened.

Mother Jones on Wednesday published an article about Cox’s Twitter posting and other inflammatory remarks the former state prosecutor had made online. By the end of the day, Cox had been fired from his job.

For more information, see original article.

26 Comments on "Indiana State Prosecutor Fired For Suggesting The Use Of “Live Ammo” On Protesters"

1. Jeffrey Cox. The name says it all.

2. Jeffrey Cox. The name says it all.

3. Miketomlison | Feb 24, 2011 at 6:52 am |

At some point, most likely when it is too late, these people will learn.

4. Miketomlison | Feb 24, 2011 at 2:52 am |

At some point, most likely when it is too late, these people will learn.

5. Sure this guy is clearly a d-bag, but I am really disliking the age where someone can get fired over a silly comment they posted (I’m sure he just thought it was a joke) on a website that happened to have their real name attached to it, and losing their job about the issue.

6. Sure this guy is clearly a d-bag, but I am really disliking the age where someone can get fired over a silly comment they posted (I’m sure he just thought it was a joke) on a website that happened to have their real name attached to it, and losing their job about the issue.

Edit: Ok maybe he wasn’t just joking… I correct myself and say that I dislike the age where people are idiots and don’t know what is and isn’t a stupid thing to say online. But I’m sure this prosecutor doesn’t know the value of anonymity.

• It wasn’t just a stray comment; when challenged, he proceeded to argue the point and generally betray the sort of attitudes that you wouldn’t want your state prosecutor to have.

Really, people in politics should just know to guard their words, even (or especially) on the net. I’d have fired him just for being that careless.

• Liam_McGonagle | Feb 24, 2011 at 1:02 pm |

You seem pretty in the loop here. Are you an Indiana resident? Do you know whether the Deputy AG is an elective official? My guess is ‘No’, that this guy is just an appointee, without any campaign pedigree.

The reason I ask is that state finance laws of many states require posting of contributors on line(well, after a fashion, anyhow). I’d love to get a list of Churches, companies, groups of all description that have contributed to this asshat at any point in his career. It’d be great to hi-jack them to come out and publicly condemn his statement and stance.

• The comments are relevant and worthy of a dismissal, because he’s a chief law enforcement officer in the state, charged with upholding the law, who’s advocating for violations of it.

7. It wasn’t just a stray comment; when challenged, he proceeded to argue the point and generally betray the sort of attitudes that you wouldn’t want your state prosecutor to have.

8. Buh-bye, asshat. Enjoy the unemployment line.

9. Buh-bye, asshat. Enjoy the unemployment line.

• Liam_McGonagle | Feb 24, 2011 at 8:30 pm |

Just had a thought. May not apply, because the imbecile Cox shows just enough indiscretion to give himself the reputation of “loose cannon”, but that term is wildly relative . . . .

He’ll probably end up with a plumb job as a senior associate, partner track to one of the firms within the Koch brothers orbit of crypto Fascists. In their line of work, Cox’s comments probably sound like a comforting breath of fresh air, rather than a brutally illegal junta tactic.

I’m undecided, though. At some point even the amoral harlots in the bar association have to preen themselves up enough to score a new John. . . .

10. The comments are relevant and worthy of a dismissal, because he’s a chief law enforcement officer in the state, charged with upholding the law, who’s advocating for violations of it.

11. Anonymous | Feb 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm |

12. What’s ironic is that this guy, by being fired for railing against what he perceived to be left-wing anti-government types, is providing the the local government with a great “see? we can too handle our shit” argument to use against those same left-wing anti-government types. Score one for soft power.

13. What’s ironic is that this guy, by being fired for railing against what he perceived to be left-wing anti-government types, is providing the the local government with a great “see? we can too handle our shit” argument to use against those same left-wing anti-government types. Score one for soft power.

14. The really weird thing is that his legal middle name is “Sux”

15. The really weird thing is that his legal middle name is “Sux”

16. I’m just throwing this out there, but for some reason I don’t believe you.

17. Liam_McGonagle | Feb 25, 2011 at 12:30 am |

18. What a piece of shit. I bet there’s someone out there that wants to use real ammo on his ass.

19. What a piece of shit. I bet there’s someone out there that wants to use real ammo on his ass.

20. I hear people say things like, ‘don’t we live in the 21st century??’

and your point is, exactly, what?

21. I hear people say things like, ‘don’t we live in the 21st century??’

and your point is, exactly, what?