Iraqi Defector Comes Clean About His WMD Lies

Meet Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, CIA codename Curveball. He lied about Saddam Hussein’s having biological weapons, giving the Bush administration prime ammunition they needed in their push for an invasion of Iraq. Al-Janabi says he would do it all over again if he could — the lesson being, don’t trust anyone named Curveball.

16 Comments on "Iraqi Defector Comes Clean About His WMD Lies"

1. Liam_McGonagle | Feb 16, 2011 at 6:48 pm |

Yeah, the German intelligence service tried desperately to warn us about the flakey alcoholism and supreme unreliability of this guy for months, to know avail.

My suspicion is that Jesus came to Dubyah in a vision and told him he cold rely on a guy named “Curve ball”.

I think Harry Shearer’s LeShow did a series of skits about this as early as 2004.

2. Liam_McGonagle | Feb 16, 2011 at 2:48 pm |

• Liam_McGonagle | Feb 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm |

S/B (of course) “NO AVAIL”.

Why am I not able to edit my comments about half the time?

3. Anonymous | Feb 16, 2011 at 6:49 pm |

S/B (of course) “NO AVAIL”.

Why am I not able to edit my comments about half the time?

4. mr jingkol | Feb 16, 2011 at 10:17 pm |

I always blamed the invasion on a corrupt government in cahoots with arms dealers and oil companies. Good thing i saw this clip, now i can blame this guy and can trust the government and billionaires again. Thank you for coming clean Curveball. My life is changed.

5. mr jingkol | Feb 16, 2011 at 6:17 pm |

6. Damn…I’m going to miss the era when demanding that people acknowledge that WMDs were a fiction required determination and willingness to argue. Scratch off yet another thing that will make the armchair warriors of 2002 go “Oh…well, okay…yeah, our bad.” What is this…proven false flag two-hundred and three that led to an unjustified invasion? Are there any excuse from then that haven’t been annihilated…other than “Cuz we feel like it, mothafu**as!!”

7. Damn…I’m going to miss the era when demanding that people acknowledge that WMDs were a fiction required determination and willingness to argue. Scratch off yet another thing that will make the armchair warriors of 2002 go “Oh…well, okay…yeah, our bad.” What is this…proven false flag two-hundred and three that led to an unjustified invasion? Are there any excuse from then that haven’t been annihilated…other than “Cuz we feel like it, mothafu**as!!”

• Liam_McGonagle | Feb 16, 2011 at 9:34 pm |

Agree with everything except the notion that any of those neocon asswhipes will ever admit to this being their fault. I believe the standard line of bullshit they spin about all their failures will apply here as well:

“Yeah–but EVERYONE thought they were there at the time–and that’s what counts.”

Of course, people like Russ Feingold apparently don’t fall within the ‘everyone’ category, though.

• MoralDrift | Feb 17, 2011 at 1:31 am |

You do have to wonder when they will finally admit it was all BS. I saw a video a couple years ago where Robert McNamara admitted the gulf of tonkin didnt happen as originally revealed to the press….but alas and in his own words, the bombs had already started dropping!

8. Liam_McGonagle | Feb 17, 2011 at 1:34 am |

“Yeah–but EVERYONE thought they were there at the time–and that’s what counts.”

9. Anonymous | Feb 17, 2011 at 5:31 am |

10. I think I’m getting paranoid but my gut feeling is that the purpose of this is: “See! See! we’re not evil, we just had bad information starting that war, kill the guy who lied to us”
    Whether this guy actually was the one to convince that there were WMD’s, I think its more likely we were just looking for an excuse to attack…

11. I think I’m getting paranoid but my gut feeling is that the purpose of this is: “See! See! we’re not evil, we just had bad information starting that war, kill the guy who lied to us”

12. This guy’s a schmuck, but the people who willingly used him in spite of knowing full well that he was totally full of shit? They’re WORSE.

Indeed, they’re guilty of democide.

13. This guy’s a schmuck, but the people who willingly used him in spite of knowing full well that he was totally full of shit? They’re WORSE.

Indeed, they’re guilty of democide.