Preparing America For ‘See Something, Say Something’

The “If You See Something, Say Something” campaign that’s so familiar to New Yorkers is going where no New Yorker can: Walmart. Scaring the crap out of middle America appears to be a priority for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, reaching into formerly safe havens such as the Mall of America.

With that in mind, a group of independent filmmakers from New York have created a short film entitled Terminal Night that should help get the rest of America in the mood for the constant vigilance demanded of them by Janet Napoletano and the gang at DOHS.

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

43 Comments on "Preparing America For ‘See Something, Say Something’"

1. Was that a joke? Was that guy supposed to be a terrorist or some idiot stooly for the DHLS? Were they implying that if your waiting for friends to show up and they don’t that you’re a terrorist? What the hell was that? Please read 1984!!!!!!

2. Was that a joke? Was that guy supposed to be a terrorist or some idiot stooly for the DHLS? Were they implying that if your waiting for friends to show up and they don’t that you’re a terrorist? What the hell was that? Please read 1984!!!!!!

• MoralDrift | Feb 14, 2011 at 6:16 pm |

I didn’t understand the video either

• Your inability to tell was the point. That guy, you can tell by the end, was just waiting for the bus to show up. But according to the scare tactics of the DHS, if you see a guy just standing around, that’s suspicious and he must be a terrorist casing a location to blow up so you need to call the police so they can come beat and tazer him for no reason. All in the name of safety and security in the Homeland, of course.

• Totally right quartz99, but what made me laugh out loud was that he reminded me of how the Stazi used to dress. The inverse of us suspecting him as a terrorist, is us suspecting him as a “watcher” for the government.

All of it is projection. Which is why it is insane. I’ve the whole Rand study mentioned in “The Power of Nightmares” writ large and live. It’s life for paranoids.

• ah, you’re right of course. He could equally look like a watcher. I guess that’s also the point. He could be either. You can’t tell, and the DHS most certainly can’t tell from your description on a web form.

Moving out to the country with enough land to feed myself and my family so I never have to go off my own property is looking more and more attractive every day…

3. Oskarthemouse | Feb 14, 2011 at 10:08 pm |

Ha ha… we are all terrorist now ! Also really like the look of clip…and who is this cute guy?

4. Oskarthemouse | Feb 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm |

5. Anonymous | Feb 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm |

I didn’t understand the video either

6. brooklyn12 | Feb 14, 2011 at 10:31 pm |

Nice cinematography!

7. brooklyn12 | Feb 14, 2011 at 6:31 pm |

Nice cinematography!

8. Anonymous | Feb 14, 2011 at 10:49 pm |

9. Monkeyvsrobot | Feb 14, 2011 at 11:21 pm |

A short film about things you can no longer do in NYC.

10. Monkeyvsrobot | Feb 14, 2011 at 7:21 pm |

A short film about things you can no longer do in NYC.

11. dirty johnny | Feb 15, 2011 at 8:22 am |

This strikes me as one of those “do a film/poem/essay on the subject of …” kind of things. Like the NPR short stories where they give you an opening line and 200 words. Without the context of the original challenge it falls a bit flat. Could be a DHLS mole, could be V for Vendetta, could be a guy in a Sting video. Or wait … a Gaspar Noe preview… that’s it.

12. dirty johnny | Feb 15, 2011 at 4:22 am |

13. WhiteRose | Feb 15, 2011 at 9:28 am |

Seinfeld did an episode of this, remember when they did nothing…. so when somebody hits your car and takes off you will wish somebody saw something and did something! That kid stealing a pack of bubble gum I think I will let slide. Remember that black Harvard professor that broke into his own home and then gave the cops lip when they came to investigate. He didn’t show any respect for the police that were there trying to protect his property not knowing what was the owners skin color and he shows them attitude. People these days are too busy with their ipods and cell phones to do anything… the world is a bunch of morons!

14. WhiteRose | Feb 15, 2011 at 5:28 am |

• dirty johnny | Feb 15, 2011 at 7:10 am |

Present company excluded, of course.

• Galser Marcos | Feb 16, 2011 at 4:18 pm |

I agree and like what you said, just one thing… I don’t have a cell phone, or an ipod, but I do have an mp3 player, and I listen to it all the time, not because I am busy with it, but because I don’t want to pay attention to our retarded culture here. I still pay attention if someone wants to talk, or I even might approach someone that I normally wouldn’t have, given that I may have a bad ass sound track. but your point is taken

15. dirty johnny | Feb 15, 2011 at 11:10 am |

Present company excluded, of course.

16. Totally right quartz99, but what made me laugh out loud was that he reminded me of how the Stazi used to dress. The inverse of us suspecting him as a terrorist, is us suspecting him as a “watcher” for the government.

17. Well, the “snitches get stiches” lobby will certainly object.

18. Anonymous | Feb 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm |

19. Anonymous | Feb 15, 2011 at 4:03 pm |

20. good job! enjoyed the gritty lighting, and the pacing was perfect.

21. good job! enjoyed the gritty lighting, and the pacing was perfect.

22. Beautiful cinematography. Subtle message about jumping to conclusions.

23. Beautiful cinematography. Subtle message about jumping to conclusions.

24. You make it sound like they’re starting a national Big Brother booster camp to root out anyone disobeying status quo behavior. I watched it thinking the guy was going to be called suspicious. Then it turns out he’s being “vigilant.” In the NPR story Napolitano says the whole point is “it reminds people that our security is a shared responsibility.” I don’t see anything wrong with that basic concept.

On the other hand, it’s creepy as hell that they’ll be showing the video at Walmart, which probably has 5,000 security cameras and half a dozen guards per store. I just don’t think this message is going to put the FEAR into middle America any more than their local news, network pundits, that terrorism color code (which they’re shutting down), etc.

25. You make it sound like they’re starting a national Big Brother booster camp to root out anyone going outside status quo behavior. I watched it thinking the guy was going to be called suspicious. Then it turns out he’s being “vigilant.” In the NPR story Napolitano says the whole point is “it reminds people that our security is a shared responsibility.” I don’t see anything wrong with that basic concept.

• No, this is part of the next step. People are getting fear overload so to keep them in check you divide them. If everyone treats everyone else as suspicious, resistance is less likely to form because no one will trust that their neighbor won’t rat them out if they talk about their misgivings. And you can’t have a popular uprising if people are scared to talk to each other about their desire to fight back.

26. Anonymous | Feb 16, 2011 at 3:24 pm |

27. very good cinematography, hope to see more from you guys!

28. very good cinematography, hope to see more from you guys!

29. The cinematography really captures the senses.

30. The cinematography really captures the senses.

31. very cool… loved the guy — his whole vibe is awesome… nice and subtle acting.

32. very cool… loved the guy — his whole vibe is awesome… nice and subtle acting.

33. Galser Marcos | Feb 16, 2011 at 8:18 pm |

34. Jimmycolorado2002 | Feb 16, 2011 at 9:55 pm |

I liked the ambiguity of it all. Setting was nice too. The music, though, reminded me this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1KNZNGT5_w Just waiting for Bruce to come flying out the bus to drop kick that smarmy terr’ist!!! Or, innocent bystander. Whatever.

35. Jimmycolorado2002 | Feb 16, 2011 at 9:55 pm |