This Is What Global Alcohol Consumption Looks Like (Map)

Who knew? Moldovans are the heaviest drinkers in the world, downing more than 18 liters/person every year. And the United States is well behind Europe, with most Europeans drinking nearly double as much as Americans.

So you’re not #1 in this respect, USA. Americans, what are you going to do about this? Via the Economist:

World Alcohol Consumption

Another “fun” fact: Moonshine accounts for almost 30% of the world’s drinking…

, , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to This Is What Global Alcohol Consumption Looks Like (Map)

1. Hadrian999 February 17, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

I believe if we buckle down and try hard we can can take the #1 spot

2. Hadrian999 February 17, 2011 at 5:11 pm #

I believe if we buckle down and try hard we can can take the #1 spot

3. Liam_McGonagle February 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm #

Yes, this is all very interesting–as far as it goes. But we all know that California and Utah are bringing downt the U.S. average woefully.

If this thing broke out the states separately, it’d be clear that WI and TX are heading for a run-off for Captain of the official U.S. drinking squad.

4. Liam_McGonagle February 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm #

• Guest February 18, 2011 at 9:38 am #

Don’t forget, states like Massachusetts drink like fish too.. All social life revolves around pubs there, just like the British Isles.

• quartz99 February 18, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Heh, not really. Wine is everywhere here in Ca. In fact, we’re also coming up on the end of “San Francisco Beer Week”. I was surprised by how many small breweries there are out here.

…and… if California really is bringing down the average, I promise to do my best to make up for it ;)

5. DeepCough February 17, 2011 at 11:12 pm #

“Mandrake, you ever see a Commie [Russian] drink water?” Gen. Jack T. Ripper, “Dr. Strangelove”

6. DeepCough February 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm #

7. Stella_2010 February 18, 2011 at 3:21 am #

now you know where all the corruption comes from

8. Stella_2010 February 17, 2011 at 11:21 pm #

now you know where all the corruption comes from

9. Guest February 18, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

10. Anonymous February 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm #

I see dead people…..

11. GoodDoktorBad February 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm #

I see dead people…..

12. Anonymous February 18, 2011 at 5:45 pm #

13. bailey's_irish_cream March 17, 2011 at 7:00 pm #

I live in South Korea, I can definitely vouch for their drinking chops. Most folks here drink soju, which tastes like rubbing alcohol and costs a buck a bottle.

14. bailey's_irish_cream March 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm #