Warning! Massive Solar Flare About To Impact Earth

solar_flareWas Larry Joseph right all along? Many people discounted the author of Apocalypse 2012: An Investigation into Civilization’s End and his fears that a massive Coronal Mass Ejection will hit Earth with disastrous consequences in 2012, but now it appears that just such an event might be about to happen for real. Michael Sheridan reports for the Daily News:

A massive solar flare could make for a beautiful night for people in the northern United States – provided it doesn’t knock the lights out.

The blast of charged particles unleashed from the sun earlier this week has been peppering the Earth over the last few days, but it’s biggest punch is expected to hit the Earth’s atmosphere on Thursday.

Monday’s eruption, considered an X-class flare, is the biggest solar flare in four years. It is already being blamed for disrupting radio communication in China, and could potentially affect power grids and satellite communication around the globe.

However, for the United States, the most likely outcome from this latest space storm could be a colorful night sky over New England and even parts of New York State.

“It won’t hit us dead-on,” physicist Dean Pesnell, project scientist for NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory, told National Geographic.

The moon may make it difficult to see, but stargazers may be able to catch a reddish glow among the stars.

“X-class flares are the most powerful of all solar events that can trigger radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms,” NASA said on Tuesday.

The China Meteorological Administration reported that Monday’s solar flare caused “sudden ionospheric disturbances” in the atmosphere above China and jammed short-wave radio communications in the southern part of the country…

[continues at the Daily News]

majestic

Majestic is gadfly emeritus.

Latest posts by majestic (see all)

35 Comments on "Warning! Massive Solar Flare About To Impact Earth"

1. Conniedobbs | Feb 17, 2011 at 4:27 pm |

Huge Solar flares happen every 10 years or less, and the world hasn’t ended yet. I predict hurricanes in 2012! Can I sell some pseudoscience and histrionic conjecture to rabid conspiracy theorists and chronic masturbators now?

2. Conniedobbs | Feb 17, 2011 at 12:27 pm |

• But the Mayans.. the Mayans!!!

• If you do and you need a graphic designer with a good eye for making things look DIRE! DIRE!, to do book covers let me know. Sadly, I don’t think I can dumb down my websites enough to look realistically bad to be convincing though. 😀

3. ZOMG!

More speculation masked as news!!1!

4. But the Mayans.. the Mayans!!!

5. Contrary to popular belief, knocked out cell phone coverage won’t be the end of the world.

6. Contrary to popular belief, knocked out cell phone coverage won’t be the end of the world.

7. Kali23Yuga | Feb 17, 2011 at 6:44 pm |

Hope Desmond Miles takes care of this in time. ( AC II, anyone ? )

8. Kali23Yuga | Feb 17, 2011 at 2:44 pm |

Hope Desmond Miles takes care of this in time. ( AC II, anyone ? )

• Miketomlison | Feb 17, 2011 at 2:54 pm |

I don’t know if he will make it… I mean he is only a year in the future…

9. Miketomlison | Feb 17, 2011 at 6:54 pm |

I don’t know if he will make it… I mean he is only a year in the future…

10. Anonymous | Feb 17, 2011 at 7:09 pm |

11. Or as the Badgers once warned… “A SNAKE, a SNAkke… a snaaakkkeeee….”

12. TwistedH8 | Feb 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm |

Do you ever think that the metal in the chemitrails they’re spraying us with might actually earth any kind of EM discharge?

13. TwistedH8 | Feb 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm |

• Conniedobbs | Feb 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm |

The only possible answer is that it contains sucker juice, which is unfortunately affecting a significant portion of disinfo readers

14. In a recent documentary on CBC TV in Canada, Joseph, on camera, essentially backs off from his doomsday claim for 2012.

15. In a recent documentary on CBC TV in Canada, Joseph, on camera, essentially backs off from his doomsday claim for 2012.

16. It is my experience that periods of the highest solar activity happened in conjunction with favorable experiences and conditions.

17. It is my experience that periods of the highest solar activity happened in conjunction with favorable experiences and conditions.

18. Celebrate! Tomorrow we may die!

19. Celebrate! Tomorrow we may die!

20. Conniedobbs | Feb 17, 2011 at 9:43 pm |

21. But.. but i need to watch Beiber videos on my i-phone or ill just die! My world will shatter!

22. I’m not sure what nature channel you’re watching but badgers ain’t scared of snakes at all.

23. MUSHROOM MUSHROOM!!!!

24. Well…that was…non-interruptive.

So much for that theory…I guess we safely rule out that ending the world as we know it unless one of many many times more size occurs.

25. Well…that was…non-interruptive.

26. justagirl | Feb 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm |

a couple of my calls got dropped yesterday… just sayin’.